"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-18-2007, 12:09 PM   #1
Head Chef

Please read, re security

I just found out that my email/ebay/paypal etc etc accounts have been violated. I used a variation on the same password for all. I have been advised to tell people on internet forums in case they have done a similarly stupid thing re passwords..as the violation may happen to them too.

While I am sure none of you lovely people are the culprit I am warning you all. Also, I am momentarily without email access, so if anyone contacts me you are not talking to me but my fraudster

When I have a new email I'll let mods/admin know, is that ok?

Old 01-18-2007, 12:11 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
That is fine lulu - we can change it for you. PM any of us and we will get it done for you. I hate that happened!!!!!!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:14 PM   #3
Head Chef

Me too! I literally have tears of anger that some one did this, I mean I stopped my card, but its the fact that they have my email account now, can read things that people sent to ME and might be personal, and have my friends' addresses.....grrrrrrr

but, they picked on the wrong person this time.....
Old 01-18-2007, 01:41 PM   #4
Master Chef

So sorry lulu! There's probably no way to catch the culprit is there?

Sure it isn't someone that knows you well? I know of a friend and his wife was having an affair and turned out her very good friend helped him tap into her email and messanger accounts because she knew her so well she figured out her passwords. He didn't do anything fraudulent or steal though he just read her emails from and to the guy. Not saying you had or are having an affair..... just the only example I know of where someone tapped into someone elses email/messenger accounts. Neverless.........I'm so sorry your having to deal with this.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:19 PM   #5
Head Chef

Gosh lulu, that's terrible news. I have no idea how these things happen, so it's a trap I could easily fall into too. I had a message inviting me to join another group to do with cooking, but it wasn't at all obvious who had recommended me. I visited the site but decided not to join. I wasn't even too sure about visiting the site, if the truth be told. The Web is a strange place - it can potentially put you in touch with so many other people, like this site, but create suspicion and havoc as well. I hope you manage to get everything sorted out.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:52 PM   #6
Head Chef

Oh well, it happened real time as I was emailing it became obvious something was going wrong and I managed to stop my cards immeadiately etc etc. Its my email account that annoys me.....all my address and contact details of people. I kind of hope that the person is a real fraudster, rather than someone who will be bothered to send abusin=ve emails to my address book or something. I'm not sure and it all happened very quickly, but it seems my ebay.co.uk account was violated first then hotmail, so looks like it is a money thing.....so as crds are stopped that's taken care of.

Just have to decide what to do about email etc now.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:03 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
Oh Lulu I am sorry!! That must be so distressing.

I have recently downloaded CCleaner to back up Ad Aware and Spybot to hopefully keep these sorts of things from happening. Not sure if even that is a 100 % guarantee but please everybody, make sure you are running something similar as your virus checker does NOT stop these people. It stops virus's only.
I am not a computer literate person by any means, just made sure that I am as well protected as possible. Im sure there is someone here who has great PC knowledge and can enlighten us all further!
Old 01-19-2007, 12:02 PM   #8
Sous Chef

I'm so sorry this happened to you lulu but thank you for the warning and advice.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:26 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Lulu, sorry for your ordeal but cheer up! It does have quite a bit of educational value that should help you cope with such problems better in the future.

Unfortunately, the situation is probably worse than you think. For sure, it is not wise to use the same password or slight variations for different accounts. Neither is it wise to use simple passwords deriving mainly from your name or the names of your family members, pets, etc. Nevertheless, even if you use strong passwords, you cannot be sure that you will stay out of such trouble forever after. To reach a higher level of security, you need to spend quite a bit of time educating yourself on PC security matters. For most of us, this is easy to say and difficult to do.

Now for the good news. If your email account was merely hijacked, consider yourself lucky. Imagine what would have happened if those who compromised your PC lurked quietly in the background waiting to capture credit card, bank, or paypal account numbers. Then they could do much more damage to you than just reading your email. Seriously, I do think that using sensitive info over the internet is not compatible with a low overall PC security level.

I don't want to get into technical matters most of which are beyond me anyway. I do hope that you find some way in the future to at least minimise potential damage from such intrusions.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:59 PM   #10
Head Chef

Hi Boufa,

They got to ebay account first! But its ok, for reasons best kept private, apart from my own security on the internet the next ringfence (banks etc) are very secure...so despite having to change email address and bank account details and close paypal and ebay accounts I have not lost any thing else....yet! In fact, I have "people" watching my accounts now, in the hope they will catch the fool....one wrong move and they're caught!