"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-22-2005, 06:57 PM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenex
PBS is not a UPN or TBS.
If PBS was bought by a private company then there would be a very good chance that it would turn into a UPN or TBS though.

Old 06-23-2005, 04:02 AM   #12
Executive Chef

I'm not sure exactly how American PBS is funded. Here in the UK, the BBC is funded by license fees, paid by everyone who has a TV set. This is currently about a hundred pounds per year (not sure of the exact sum).

Every couple of years we hold our collective breath, waiting to see whether the Government of the day will change the status quo.

I have cable TV as well as what we call our 'terrestrial' channels. The BBC has at least 4 channels, but I only have two (the non-digital ones).

I like the fact that there is no advertising at all on the BBC (I don't county their 'spoilers' for upcoming programmes or events!).

They do great outside broadcast events, eg football matches, horse-racing, athletics, GLASTONBURY.... as well as quality dramas, many of which are purchased by US stations - including PBS I believe.

I would not like to see our BBC become just like any of the commercial stations, even though I am amongst the complainers that believe the standards have dropped in recent years - too much reality TV and too many make-over shows. BUT, they still come out with many innovative programmes, which I do not feel would have seen the light of day if it weren't for their unique Charter.

Old 06-23-2005, 07:58 AM   #13
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Ishbel,

PBS is paid for by donations from individuals (they have pledge drives a few times a year) and by grants from corporations. There may be more to it than that, but those are the funding sources I know of.

Barbara
Old 06-23-2005, 09:03 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Thanks for the information, Barbara.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:51 PM   #15
Executive Chef

House Won't Cut Public Broadcasting Funds

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050623/...NlYwMlJVRPUCUl
Old 06-23-2005, 09:16 PM   #16

Great news!!!

"Lawmakers were flooded with letters and phone calls."

Just proves that your voice can make a difference!
Old 06-24-2005, 09:53 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now big bird won't have to sell out to the man....
Old 06-27-2005, 03:49 PM   #18
Master Chef

One of the problems here is that there is a huge ... HUGE ... difference in PBS (and for that matter NPR) programming from place to place. Believe me, I know. When I lived in the DC area, we had FOUR public broadcasting stations. One each from MD, DC, VA, and a black-oriented station. This was a dozen years ago, and we loved it. One of the stations did programs for the blind, believe it or not, with an extra narration (Sam is now walking to the door, reaches over and ....). The flip side of that is that in many places, unless you need it for your kids (don't have 'em) you mostly watch fund raisers, and yes, though they don't call them that, commercials (this program is brought to you by ..... and .... and ..... and .... and ..... no matter how you look at it, it is a commercial). If Penzeys, Whole Foods, blablabla are running commercials, the government is helping out .... what is different about it? I love the cooking and travel shows (at least they are not hour long commercials for a resort which many other cooking and travel shows have become), but can't get myself excited about "supporting" public TV when it's obvious that commercial enterprises aren't all that much different than on commercial TV. OK, at least I don't have to listen to those incredibly loud car commercials.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:03 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

claire, most major networks provide about 30 percent of their primetime programming (mostly movies) with second audio programming video description (the "sam is now walking to the door" thing).

boy, everyone really trusts corporations to do the right thing. that's kinda scary.
just because there's a market for higher end programming, doesn't mean that when a corporation needs to drive up it's stock price, it won't resort to lowering it's standards. it's a sad fact of the tv bidness...
Old 07-03-2005, 11:22 PM   #20

Lizz Wright

Speaking of PBS....

Anyone catch The Connection with Dick Gordon last Friday?

http://www.theconnection.org/shows/2...701_b_main.asp

http://www.lizzwright.net/