"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-29-2007, 12:22 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
when i get the vet and food bills, i think my head is the soft part!

bilby, 8 indoor cats? how many litterboxes did you have? how many times did they have to be cleaned?

same question for keltin and k.t.e..

we have 3 boxes, cleaned once a day.
Litter boxes...Two.

One of them, I clean on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. The other one, Buck cleans on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

The rest of the time we scoop really well and add litter as necessary. So far, so good. This has worked for almost 14 years.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:53 AM   #32
Executive Chef

I have pretty much "trained" the boys and Tammy to go before they come in for the night. Tammy and Ginny, the two eldest, prefer the trays to the outside esp in winter. Otherwise Kimba and Tabitha are the main users of the trays. I am lucky in that I have two bathrooms and only need to use one so I have three trays in there plus one in the laundry. I have a patio attached to the house that I have had roller shutters put on the open side so they get shut at night and then the patio gets used as the feline funroom - filled with their beds and toys and another tray. I got told that you should have one tray per cat and an extra one but I didn't have the room for that - only got a small house! They get scooped daily and the newspaper that they sit on changed as necessary but otherwise I only change/clean them once a week. They can go a fortnight in summer though. I also use different litter fill in two of them so those two can sometimes go even longer in summer. A lot depends on the weather, how I feel and their general state. Pretty much it is "as required". There is only me to do them so there are days that I need to be "inspired" to do them. Mondays or the weekends are my preferred days as our bins are emptied on a Monday morning.

When I used to have outside cats, I used to keep baskets under the aircon in my carport and one on the bonnet of my car. The carport is completely open and when it rains there is only a small island under the aircon that doesn't get wet. I had a kennel there as well but only my neighbour's cats ever used it. I always have a bowl of water out there and at night a bowl of biscuits, just in case there is a stray or two. I suspect though that most have homes judging by the jingling of bells during the night! Some of them go through my backyard searching out the meat that I have put out for the maggies and butcher birds.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:01 AM   #33
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
when i get the vet and food bills, i think my head is the soft part!

bilby, 8 indoor cats? how many litterboxes did you have? how many times did they have to be cleaned?

same question for keltin and k.t.e..

we have 3 boxes, cleaned once a day.
Weíve got two boxes and use multi-cat scoopable litter. DW is a clean freak (bless her heart!) and scoops both boxes at least once a day (sometimes twice), and does a complete dump and wash every 1-2 weeks.

Speaking of cleaning the litter boxes, do your cats immediately come running the minute you clean them?!?!? Itís as if they have to be the first to mark the freshly cleaned box or something!
Old 10-29-2007, 10:05 AM   #34
Executive Chef

It's a race in my pack!! Sometimes I cheat and smooth the top of the litter again and spray it with Nil-Odour just to confuse them!! At least with five boxes, no one cat can be the first to mark them all. If one of them did, I'm sure they know I would be taking them down to the vet which is half an hour away and most of them don't like cars and they all hate the cages!

The thing I really can't stand is they rip up the newspaper that I put under the trays in case of accidents. They just stand there ripping the paper to shreds and always, always in the middle of the night!
Old 10-29-2007, 10:14 AM   #35
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
My eldest has a plastic fetish that the others seem to be picking up on. Any kind of plastic, let’s say the plastic bag bread comes in, he loves to chew on. Just chew, chew, chew. No idea why. If you get a piece of plastic, especially stiff and noisy plastic, he’ll come running and try to get at it. Way back when, we used to keep bread out on the counter, but no more. He destroyed three loaves in a row before we finally had to buy a big bread box!

The youngest has a thing with paper (especially receipts), and will chew it up. She also steals money out of the change bowl and will occasionally be caught carrying a coin around the house. She ate a 5 dollar bill once, so we hide all money and try to keep paper away from her.

And of course, they all, at one time or another, loved to unroll the bathroom tissue or the paper towels! I can’t tell you how many rolls we’ve lost to that little trick!
Old 10-29-2007, 10:24 AM   #36
Executive Chef

Gee Keltin, I will go around to all my cats tonight and tell them how wonderful they are!! One cat likes to use my shoes as scratching posts so I have to turn them all upside down to protect them. He loves rubber thongs (for the feet). He also has a licking fetish - fellow cats, me, the (computer) mouse, etc. Out of all the cats I have ever owned I only have had to cat-proof my house for one of 'em, just like I had a toddler. No glass or knives left out, no naked flames, handles pointed away, washing machines checked before use, etc. And he was run-over twice before I got him, so he has a bit of brain damage. That's it. That's the worse of it. Pretty lucky I think!!

Have you thought that your youngest was a tax cheat in a previous life?
Old 10-29-2007, 03:38 PM   #37
DC's Angel

Speaking of brain damage.......

Our indoor President cat, Torie isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. She sits in a corner all day staring at the air. Occasionally we have to remind her to breathe.

But we love her anyway.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:43 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin View Post
My eldest has a plastic fetish that the others seem to be picking up on. Any kind of plastic, letís say the plastic bag bread comes in, he loves to chew on. Just chew, chew, chew. No idea why. If you get a piece of plastic, especially stiff and noisy plastic, heíll come running and try to get at it. Way back when, we used to keep bread out on the counter, but no more. He destroyed three loaves in a row before we finally had to buy a big bread box!

The youngest has a thing with paper (especially receipts), and will chew it up. She also steals money out of the change bowl and will occasionally be caught carrying a coin around the house. She ate a 5 dollar bill once, so we hide all money and try to keep paper away from her.

And of course, they all, at one time or another, loved to unroll the bathroom tissue or the paper towels! I canít tell you how many rolls weíve lost to that little trick!
I have a cat that started eating plastic lately too. I wonder what it is about a Wal-Mart bag that is so tasty to her.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:32 PM   #39
Master Chef

We had a cat once (Kitty to be exact) that we could NOT keep from chewing on our house plants. My husband and I were struggling college students at the time and it was very upsetting to have what few plants that we did mangled. Then one day I was excited to find a beautifully sprouted onion with 3 stalks and placed it in a jar with toothpicks and water. Gorgeous on the window sill. Came home from classes a few days later to discover one stalk bent nearly 180 degrees. Yep, crime analysis revealed one neat puncture wound. From then on out Kitty (bless his little brain cells that made the connection) left ALL plants alone.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:07 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
Speaking of brain damage.......

Our indoor President cat, Torie isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. She sits in a corner all day staring at the air. Occasionally we have to remind her to breathe.

But we love her anyway.
Why do they do that???? All the boys just sit and stare at the fence. Nothing moves - not them or lizards or insects. Nothing. The birds will be walking behind them and they will just stare at the fence. Bizarre!