"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: POLL: Clothes Drying: Line? Or Machine?
I always use a clothes dryer 8 44.44%
I always hang my clothes 1 5.56%
I mostly machine dry, but hang some items 8 44.44%
I mostly line dry, but machine dry a few items 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2018, 05:27 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

POLL: Clothes Drying: Line? Or Machine?

There was a lively discussion about how we dry our clothes (go figure ) that I wanted to join, but oddly enough chose not to since it was OT. And there are days that I'm the Queen of Off Topic. :

I grew up in a house that had a gas dryer as soon as they were a common appliance. Before that, Mom (and I) hung clothes in the back yard in nice weather, in the basement when it rained or snowed. Our first three years of marriage were spent in apartments, so the in-building washer and dryer were used. Once we got our own house, though, and our own yard, up went lines...along with a washer/dryer set, housewarming gifts from my folks.

Mom had a habit of shrinking anything polyester, so I made sure I rescued my clothes from the hamper before she started the family wash. Once I moved out, I realized that the problem with clothes dryers and shrinking/elastic becoming cracked were more of an issue because Mom had a gas dryer, while all I've ever used once married were electric. Our undies tend to just plain ol' wear out, rather than have the elastic die before the rest of the piece is worn. I also tend to "dry to fabric content", while Mom was pretty much a "full heat ahead" sort of person. Anything with elastic is dried on low, or hung to dry.

I miss the smell of line-dried clothes. Our first house had perfectly spaced trees for stringing lines. The summer of 1988 was hot-hot (104 in Cleveland on June 25th!) but dry, so I could dry one load completely in the time it took to wash the next one. All I dried in the machine was Himself's no-iron dress shirts and towels. The second house had virtually no grassy area in the back yard - just enough to run one line long enough for hanging sheets and pillowcases. This place? Between the slope in our yard and a heavily wooded back yard, with just enough grass to keep the trees a decent distance from the house, I haven't hung anything in 18 years. Like RP mentioned elsewhere, I just figure the price of machine drying clothes into the electric bill budget. At least I can dry clothes at my convenience, not the whims of the weather.

I still hang our tops (t-shirts, sweatshirts) and jeans. No real place in the basement, since the ceiling is low and there is fiberglass insulation between the joists. Instead, I have a rolling clothes rack in the kitchen, and a smaller one in the guest room. I fluff the shirts in the dryer on "air" for about 10 minutes, then put them on hangers. I swear some of our knit shirts are over a dozen years old and still look newish.

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 05:34 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I line dry all my cold water wash, my elastic cotton sweat pants, my underwear tops and bottoms, my nighties, and wool socks. I like the neighbors to see me in them and on the line. Dh has now started drying his jeans on the line, and his t-shirts, so they wear out less than the machine drying.

Both of us like our towels and cotton socks dried soft in the dryer.

blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:13 PM   #3
Master Chef

Fun thread, CG! I checked #3 - mostly dryer, but hang some items.

I don't have a clothesline, but there are a few hooks on my patio roof where I used to have hanging plants - they get morning sunlight and have come in handy for a few cotton tops that I don't want to put in the dryer.

There's a few clothes items in my closet for 'dressier' times, but I don't wear them very often and when I do they just go to the cleaners.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:28 PM   #4
Master Chef

For me "always hang" incudes the "dry flat" things as there wasn't a separate option. I usually dry flat on a towel on the bathroom floor as the hot water pipes and radiator feeder pipes run underneath. Waste not want not :-)
Old 09-04-2018, 06:50 PM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I have a retractable line that can run the length of the covered deck. There are also convenient stops on each upright, so almost 40 feet of line. This is for sheets and towels. I can't feed the birds in the backyard if I'm going to be hanging items outside.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:56 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I've always been a mostly non-dryer person. I always thought that the stuff I took out of the lint filter was a scrubbing of my laundry. Fluff equaled a diminishing of my fabrics.

As a result, I have shied from using the dryer. Towels get "fluffed" on a no heat cycle, which softens them to an acceptable level.

The rest of the laundry either gets put on lines on the porch outside or on the lines in the back yard

When I lived in my big, old 1880s house, I had lines strung in the large family room. Much like Abigail Adams did when she lived in the White House. 'Cept our house wasn't quite as regal as the White House.

In very inclement weather, I have several free-standing collapsible drying racks that serve the purpose and can be placed in our enclosed breezeway or inside.

I'm just not a big fan of clothes dryers. They abrade fabrics and cause elastic to give up before its time.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:17 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Condo rule prohibit clotheslines. Not that I'd change from using a dryer if I could.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:39 PM   #8
Master Chef

I used to line dry, but we no longer have the life style for it..no time..I may again when things change career wise.
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:55 PM   #9
Executive Chef

I've always wanted to send my boxers up the flag pole, but I am afraid some of my neighbors may consider that unpatriotic.
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:00 PM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
I've always wanted to send my boxers up the flag pole, but I am afraid some of my neighbors may consider that unpatriotic.

They would dry quickly!