"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 07:57 PM   #31
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
If this is a real advert why does it use a pseudo-English accent? For the benefit of non-English English speakers this is someone trying to sound "upper class" but not succeeding. Is this how most Americans think the English speak?
Actually, the actress's name is Bethany Woodruff, and she is from Scotland.

Also, I wonder the same thing when I see British or Australian actors portraying Americans on television. Some do it convincingly, but others sound very exaggerated and fake.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:03 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
FWIW, if something offends you, don't watch it. If someone says something that annoys you (annoys, not misinterprets what you posted earlier and you're clearing up a point), let it roll off your back. Life is too short to get your knickers in a twist over little things like this. Take a deep breath, relax, and move on.

Seems kind of silly to waste time sniping back and forth when you can spend quality time moving on and finding yummy recipes. Or goofing off in a thread that actually has appeal.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:17 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post

Also, I wonder the same thing when I see British or Australian actors portraying Americans on television. Some do it convincingly, but others sound very exaggerated and fake.

The guy who does "House" was amazing. Also, saw another guy on Ellen yesterday who's on a series and also does a great American accent.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:28 PM   #34
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
The guy who does "House" was amazing. Also, saw another guy on Ellen yesterday who's on a series and also does a great American accent.
I agree. Hugh Laurie is one of the better ones. In fact, I assumed he was an American for a long time until I saw him give an interview on a talk show.

On the other hand, I remember watching Michael Caine in "Cider House Rules". Although I think he's a wonderful actor, his American accent in that movie is atrociously painful to listen to. Ewan McGregor is another who can't do an American accent to save his life.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:34 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
I agree. Hugh Laurie is one of the better ones. In fact, I assumed he was an American for a long time until I saw him give an interview on a talk show.

On the other hand, I remember watching Michael Caine in "Cider House Rules". Although I think he's a wonderful actor, his American accent in that movie is atrociously painful to listen to.
Thanks Steve, Hugh Jackman was the only Hugh we could come up with, but I knew it wasn't right.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:51 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Hardy har har! That is *so* funny! Not.

There are lots of places on the Internet where anything goes. Why don't you take your off-topic posts where they will be appreciated?
Quote:

Also, I wonder the same thing when I see British or Australian actors portraying Americans on television.
The accent is still wrong. It's still someone who doesn't speak like that trying to sound as though she does. It's the sort of accent that cropped up in British films of the 1930s when the shop girl was pretending to be the lady of the manor. There were moments when the Poo Pourri girl's accent wavered and she came out with "Estuary English" vowels.

"Also, I wonder the same thing when I see British or Australian actors portraying Americans on television" - as in that great Australian actor Errol Leslie Thomas Flynn who sounded equally bad when trying to be English or American
Old 05-09-2014, 08:56 PM   #37
Certified Pretend Chef

There are a fair number of British/Australian actors who portray Americans in film and on TV. I am often surprised to learn they are not American.

Not sure what that says. Are American actors worse at doing accents than their British/Australian counterparts or is American English easier to fake?
Old 05-09-2014, 09:04 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

I had no idea Michael Caine was portraying an American in Cider House Rules.
That will give me something to look for next time I see it.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:57 PM   #39
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Not sure what that says. Are American actors worse at doing accents than their British/Australian counterparts or is American English easier to fake?
The one performance that really stands out as being very good -- and maybe because I just watched it recently -- is Meryl Streep as Margaret Thatcher.

I think Johnny Depp does some pretty convincing accents as well.

But one of my all time favorites is Harry Shearer in Spinal Tap. I actually watched that movie with some British folks and they all said that his accent was spot on.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:09 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
The one performance that really stands out as being very good -- and maybe because I just watched it recently -- is Meryl Streep as Margaret Thatcher.

I think Johnny Depp does some pretty convincing accents as well.

But one of my all time favorites is Harry Shearer in Spinal Tap. I actually watched that movie with some British folks and they all said that his accent was spot on.

Haven't watched Spinal Tap in ages, when it first came out. Streep is amazing too, she could do a carpet commercial and win an award.

Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow, :sigh: