Poo Pourri.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a reason this site is called "Discuss Cooking." Many of us consider DC as almost a second family, and we pride ourselves on being kind and respectful, while also having fun. The site is privately owned, and there are rules that need to be observed so it doesn't become a free-for-all.

From Forum Rules:

"Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully."

"We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate ANY rudeness."

Just saw this ad and found it hilarious. The woman is advertising a real product in a most humorous way. It discusses a common bodily function so skip it if that bothers you.

Girls Don't Poop - PooPourri.com - YouTube
If this is a real advert why does it use a pseudo-English accent? For the benefit of non-English English speakers this is someone trying to sound "upper class" but not succeeding. Is this how most Americans think the English speak?

Ain't that the truth.
When did we get these English accented pitchmen, about 15 years ago?
Obviously they know more about the crap they are selling on late night TV.
oops, it's not late night TV anymore, is it? They have whole channels devoted to informercials now.
Progress.

Any voice with an accent gets our attention. They don't have to be authentic. That's how most ad agencies roll here...LOL..

Fake Australian accents are all the rage now. Just listen to any Outback Steakhouse ad on TV.

That's seems a bit like an ad hominem attack to me, but I'll ignore it----and the people who approve of ad hominem attacks.

ad hominem
You attacked your opponent's character or personal traits in an attempt to undermine their argument.

What I wrote is not an ad hominem attack. It's not a an attack or a logical argument at all. The point you don't seem to get, or care about, is that most people don't care to discuss bodily functions on a cooking forum. If you do, there are plenty of other places to do that.

FWIW, if something offends you, don't watch it. If someone says something that annoys you (annoys, not misinterprets what you posted earlier and you're clearing up a point), let it roll off your back. Life is too short to get your knickers in a twist over little things like this. Take a deep breath, relax, and move on.

Seems kind of silly to waste time sniping back and forth when you can spend quality time moving on and finding yummy recipes. Or goofing off in a thread that actually has appeal. :)

Just my 2 cents worth.

If this is a real advert why does it use a pseudo-English accent? For the benefit of non-English English speakers this is someone trying to sound "upper class" but not succeeding. Is this how most Americans think the English speak?
Actually, the actress's name is Bethany Woodruff, and she is from Scotland.

Also, I wonder the same thing when I see British or Australian actors portraying Americans on television. Some do it convincingly, but others sound very exaggerated and fake.

Last edited:
FWIW, if something offends you, don't watch it. If someone says something that annoys you (annoys, not misinterprets what you posted earlier and you're clearing up a point), let it roll off your back. Life is too short to get your knickers in a twist over little things like this. Take a deep breath, relax, and move on.

Seems kind of silly to waste time sniping back and forth when you can spend quality time moving on and finding yummy recipes. Or goofing off in a thread that actually has appeal. :)

Just my 2 cents worth.

Also, I wonder the same thing when I see British or Australian actors portraying Americans on television. Some do it convincingly, but others sound very exaggerated and fake.

The guy who does "House" was amazing. Also, saw another guy on Ellen yesterday who's on a series and also does a great American accent.

The guy who does "House" was amazing. Also, saw another guy on Ellen yesterday who's on a series and also does a great American accent.
I agree. Hugh Laurie is one of the better ones. In fact, I assumed he was an American for a long time until I saw him give an interview on a talk show.

On the other hand, I remember watching Michael Caine in "Cider House Rules". Although I think he's a wonderful actor, his American accent in that movie is atrociously painful to listen to. Ewan McGregor is another who can't do an American accent to save his life.

Last edited:
I agree. Hugh Laurie is one of the better ones. In fact, I assumed he was an American for a long time until I saw him give an interview on a talk show.

On the other hand, I remember watching Michael Caine in "Cider House Rules". Although I think he's a wonderful actor, his American accent in that movie is atrociously painful to listen to.

Thanks Steve, Hugh Jackman was the only Hugh we could come up with, but I knew it wasn't right.

Hardy har har! That is *so* funny! Not.

There are lots of places on the Internet where anything goes. Why don't you take your off-topic posts where they will be appreciated?

Also, I wonder the same thing when I see British or Australian actors portraying Americans on television.
The accent is still wrong. It's still someone who doesn't speak like that trying to sound as though she does. It's the sort of accent that cropped up in British films of the 1930s when the shop girl was pretending to be the lady of the manor. There were moments when the Poo Pourri girl's accent wavered and she came out with "Estuary English" vowels.

"Also, I wonder the same thing when I see British or Australian actors portraying Americans on television" - as in that great Australian actor Errol Leslie Thomas Flynn who sounded equally bad when trying to be English or American :)

Last edited:
There are a fair number of British/Australian actors who portray Americans in film and on TV. I am often surprised to learn they are not American.

Not sure what that says. Are American actors worse at doing accents than their British/Australian counterparts or is American English easier to fake?

I had no idea Michael Caine was portraying an American in Cider House Rules.
That will give me something to look for next time I see it.

Not sure what that says. Are American actors worse at doing accents than their British/Australian counterparts or is American English easier to fake?
The one performance that really stands out as being very good -- and maybe because I just watched it recently -- is Meryl Streep as Margaret Thatcher.

I think Johnny Depp does some pretty convincing accents as well.

But one of my all time favorites is Harry Shearer in Spinal Tap. I actually watched that movie with some British folks and they all said that his accent was spot on.

The one performance that really stands out as being very good -- and maybe because I just watched it recently -- is Meryl Streep as Margaret Thatcher.

I think Johnny Depp does some pretty convincing accents as well.

But one of my all time favorites is Harry Shearer in Spinal Tap. I actually watched that movie with some British folks and they all said that his accent was spot on.

Haven't watched Spinal Tap in ages, when it first came out. Streep is amazing too, she could do a carpet commercial and win an award.

Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow, :sigh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom