"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-18-2008, 06:19 PM   #21
Head Chef

Usually we get good service. But if there are two things that really tick me off it is an extended wait from when we sit to when we get a menu. a glass of water, and our drink order taken.

And when I am done with a meal, and want the bill, and I find I have become immediately invisible to the waitstaff, I become annoyed.

The latter situation is one in which I start deducting from the tip.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:23 PM   #22
Master Chef

The only thing I hold the waitperson responsible for is taking my order correctly, keeping my drinks filled, and getting my food to me all in a pleasant and friendly manner. In some places also presenting me with the check and what-not.
If the food is bad, well I let the cook know that usually thru the waitperson or the manager if it is bad enough. But I make sure the waitperson knows I am not holding that against them.
I do take into account if they are busy. If the service is poor I make sure to let the waitperson know exactly what they did wrong so they know why they are only getting the minimum 10%. If it is absolutely horrible I will also let the manager know and reduce it to 5%.
My standard is 15%, 20% if you are great. For some reason, I always seem welcomed back to the places we frequent, and remembered by name at many of them as well.
The way I figure it, if we can seem to afford to support Big Business' and help pay for their billions in profits why can't we afford to support working class people as well? That is where I would rather place my money, especially since they seem to appreciate it much more...

Old 04-18-2008, 08:32 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by *amy* View Post
Show a little more cleavage. If that doesn't work, leave.
(But here's a tip - this only works if your cleavage is somewhere near where it started out! In this case, gravity will not work in your favor!)
Old 04-18-2008, 09:06 PM   #24
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by *amy* View Post
Show a little more cleavage. If that doesn't work, leave.

Amy, if I followed this advice, I'd never eat in a restaurant again.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:10 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
In this situation though Corey, how do you know they have done nothing to stop the problem? How do you know that they are not currently fighting with the pump maker to get a new pump or whatever or yelling at their supplier because they were sold bad beer?

It has happened too many times - I'd say the last 4 or 5 sittings there. The owner was very appoligetic, but that does little or nothing if the same problem keeps on popping up all the time.

Maybe he should can that vender and get a more reliable one.

A friend and myself once went to a pizza place in Las Vegas. We waited at least 10 minutes, and no one even bothered to come over to serve us, so we got up and walked out.

I got absolute zero tolerance for stuff like that! When that happens, then they must not want your business.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:12 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Bad service will never change if you do not make them aware there was a problem.
I agree totally.

Quote:
Show a little more cleavage. If that doesn't work, leave
Sorry, that's just wrong.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:21 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Regardless of how much they are being paid, if they are not performing the service they are paid to perform, tipping sends the wrong message.

Yeah, I base the tip on the service;

If it's good, then they get a generous tip. But if the service is insulting or sour, then they'll get an insulting sour tip.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:27 AM   #28
Head Chef

Being a chef and later a restaurant owner. As a Chef I went into the dinning room every night and checked on my guest's and got to know there likes and dis likes and my business all ways was good later as a owner I was all ways training my staff on good service. to be unobtrusive and look as they went by a table and if thier water was low fill it with out being asked to. I have been in this business for most of my adult life and poor service will kill a restaurant quicker than poor food
Old 04-19-2008, 04:35 AM   #29
Executive Chef

Probably the main reason why a BBQ restaurant in the Providence Place Mall bit the dust.

For two Christmas Eves in a roll, they lied about the closing times. One year, they closed at 6pm after they posted a closing time of 7pm. The following year, they posted a closing time of 7pm and was closed before 5pm!!

They weren't even there in that spot for two years. Last summer, a friend and I found out that they had packed up and moved out. Didn't miss them at all! Serves them right! Good riddens to bad rubbish!!!
Old 04-19-2008, 02:51 PM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hutchins View Post
Being a chef and later a restaurant owner. As a Chef I went into the dinning room every night and checked on my guest's and got to know there likes and dis likes and my business all ways was good later as a owner I was all ways training my staff on good service. to be unobtrusive and look as they went by a table and if thier water was low fill it with out being asked to. I have been in this business for most of my adult life and poor service will kill a restaurant quicker than poor food
Explains why you did so well. That is interesting about poor service killing a restaurant quicker than poor food. I would have thought it would be equally as bad.
I know in Chicago there are a billion of each type of restaurant around, so the best way to distinguish themselves, IMHO, is service. That is not to say taste isn't important. I rank them first by taste, but that still leaves me many choices, so then it is service that sets them apart. The ones that make me feel special or at home get my repeat business as long as the quality stays up there.

EDIT: Re-reading that, I just affirmed what you stated, LOL.