"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-18-2008, 11:53 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Poor Service

Just wondering what others do when they get poor service at a restaurant. I always feel bad if the place is busy so I don't give the server a hard time and still leave a tip. I also don't bother saying much because sometimes there is no point.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:00 PM   #2
Executive Chef

The DW is a waitress so I/we know first hand what they go through. Service is one thing, but your server did not overcook your tuna. I always leave a tip unless the service is absolutely horrible. If I see my server getting hassled by another table, I'll over-tip. I usually leave at least 20%. You do have to take into consideration how busy the place is, are they short handed, etc.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:03 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calya View Post
I also don't bother saying much because sometimes there is no point.
Bad service will never change if you do not make them aware there was a problem.

How bad the service is will determine what I do. Sometime, like you, I do not say much. Other times I will talk to my waiter/waitress. I will talk with the manager/owner if it is really bad. If it is the waiter/waitresses fault then I will take it out of their tip. And for the biggest offenses I will do the thing that hurts the restaurant the most. I will not return and will tell other people about my bad experience.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:04 PM   #4
Senior Cook

It depends on the circumstances. I agree that poor food prep by the cook should not be taken out on the server. But, if the server is inattentive, sloppy, uncaring, then that is a different matter. Having worked in the food service industry and now doing mystery shopping for several food locations, I see both sides.
And, after being a manager, you are not doing anyone any a service by not talking to the manager. A good manager wants to keep abreast of everything going on in his/her place.
On the other hand, please also advise the manager if a server gives you outstanding service. Managers very seldom hear compliments on their people.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:28 PM   #5
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Being busy isn't really an excuse for poor service, unless they are just seriously understaffed. Even then, I wouldn't necessarily consider that poor service (on my server's part anyway). In fact, we have noticed that we tend to get faster service when a restaurant is busy. I guess it's kind of like when I am getting ready for work or church. If I have lots of time, I end up taking my time and rushing at the end, but if I don't have much time, I get everything done with time to spare.

I can only think of two times in my life that I (and whoever I was with at the time--my mom once, and James the next) did not leave a tip. Well, I did leave a tip, but it was one to let them know how horrible their service was. The first time I did what I had read somewhere, and I left 2 cents. That way she knew that we didn't just forget. I know that sounds mean, but she was beyond rude to my mom and me, and she did a terrible job.

The second time was a few years ago at an Applebee's. Our server (and some of the others) was practically flirting with James and all the other men (actually, there was no "practically" about it--she was flirting), and she ignored me altogether. I asked for extra napkins at least four times, and she always said she would bring them. She never did. I told James I would take care of the tip. On the receipt, I wrote, "Here is your tip. If a customer asks for extra napkins, bring her extra napkins."

We really are good tippers, and we generally receive great service. Most of our servers love talking to us, and we really do appreciate the hard work that most servers do. We know what our daughter went through as a server, and we can also recognize when a server is just having a bad day. We were at O'Charley's once, and our server was forgetting things really badly. We found out he was new, and this was his first busy night. We pulled him aside for a minute and told him, "Just stop for a second and breathe. Everything is going to be okay." We reassured him that it was obvious he was really trying. He appreciated what we said, and he looked more relaxed after that.

Barbara
Old 04-18-2008, 01:36 PM   #6
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcampcook View Post
...you are not doing anyone any a service by not talking to the manager. A good manager wants to keep abreast of everything going on in his/her place.
On the other hand, please also advise the manager if a server gives you outstanding service. Managers very seldom hear compliments on their people.
We have sought out the manager at some places (restaurants or stores) and told them what a good job someone was doing. I agree that managers don't often get to hear the good things.

I will let the manager know if things are truly horrible. I was out with a group of lady friends one night. I did not get something I had asked for, so I asked for it again. Something else wasn't right either, but I can't remember what it was. When I mentioned it to the server, she said, "Oh it's those Mexicans in the kitchen." I was highly offended that she would say something like that. I asked to see the manager, and I told him about it because what she said was rude and uncalled for.

Barbara
Old 04-18-2008, 01:57 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Once I'm in a restaurant and it looks as though I'm not getting the service that I so rightfully deserve, and this is usually before I'm seated, - I walk out.

If an eatery posts a normal closing time (they usually do), and I come back and find out they closed much earlier than the time posted, I don't go back there.

If I find that there is a constantly ridiculous problem, then I stop going there. If I'm seated where I don't want to sit, and I'm refused another spot, I walk out.

One particular pizza place that I went to, as of late, has been having a constant problem with the draft beer. Either it has spoiled, ran out, or the pump just doesn't work!!

There is just no excuse for the constant aggravating problems and poor service that a restaurant keeps on having and does nothing to try to stop them!!
Old 04-18-2008, 02:09 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Ramsay

Whenever I go to a restaurant, I always wish that Chef Ramsay were around that I could tell him what is going on. When I see his show, it makes me so thankful there is ONE who cares! If only all the owners would be as concerned as he is. He may be crude when he says something but the meaning is what matters to me. I feel it only upsets him that people don't feel the way he does about his restaurant and the customers he serves. Ramsay just renews my hope.

Sorry if this changed t he topic, but how I feel about eating in restaurant and poor service.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:12 PM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
One particular pizza place that I went to, as of late, has been having a constant problem with the draft beer. Either it has spoiled, ran out, or the pump just doesn't work!!

There is just no excuse for the constant aggravating problems and poor service that a restaurant keeps on having and does nothing to try to stop them!!
In this situation though Corey, how do you know they have done nothing to stop the problem? How do you know that they are not currently fighting with the pump maker to get a new pump or whatever or yelling at their supplier because they were sold bad beer?
Old 04-18-2008, 02:17 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I had a server drop a (thankfully!) empty plate on me off of her tray. Hit me square in the shoulder bone (felt like it chipped it) and hurt for days!!!
I still tipped cuz they gave me a free cookbook :)
All DH had to say was.... "If ya didnt have such bony shoulders it woulda bounced better"
Nice.