Poppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Cook

Master Chef
Next week I'm on Poppy selling duty in the entrance to the local supermarket (the only time I go in there - they belong to Walmart - 'nuff said!)

The Royal British Legion is a UK charity providing lifelong support for the Royal Navy, British Army, Royal Air Force, Reservists, veterans, and their families. Every year in the run-up to Remembrance Sunday (the nearest Sunday to November 11th - the date of the end of WW1) they organize the poppy collection.

We used to stand in the street with a tray of poppies round our necks but there were a few muggings and the RBL decided we couldn't stand outside anymore.

Sadly there are those who object to the poppies and the remembrance services because they think it "glorifies" war. It doesn't. It helps ex-service personnel and their families who have suffered as a result of war and who are in need as a result of their service.

Next week I'm on Poppy selling duty in the entrance to the local supermarket (the only time I go in there - they belong to Walmart - 'nuff said!)

The Royal British Legion is a UK charity providing lifelong support for the Royal Navy, British Army, Royal Air Force, Reservists, veterans, and their families. Every year in the run-up to Remembrance Sunday (the nearest Sunday to November 11th - the date of the end of WW1) they organize the poppy collection.

We used to stand in the street with a tray of poppies round our necks but there were a few muggings and the RBL decided we couldn't stand outside anymore.

Sadly there are those who object to the poppies and the remembrance services because they think it "glorifies" war. It doesn't. It helps ex-service personnel and their families who have suffered as a result of war and who are in need as a result of their service.

Ignore the naysayers. We, the non military public can never do enough for our Veterans. Specially, the wounded ones and those left without limbs.

War leaves a mark on our Vets that we as civilians can never imagine. Ask any wife of a soldier that has come home about the nightmares, the screams in the dead of night, etc.

Have any of you ever noticed that the majority of returning vets will never talk about their experiences in wartime. There is a good reason. There are no happy memories.

The poppies situation is one I heartily endorse. Many of my male family members served our country in past wars, including my sons and I am grateful to say they all came back whole in body.

My father served in WWII and also returned in more than one piece and decided he loved serving as a medical corps man. As a result he became a doctor and served his community until he died. Therein lies the silver lining in an ugly cloud.

He also had a strong love for children and was a most loved doctor among our area children.

The following photo shows his love for the little ones as he was stationed in the Philippines.

Attachments

• Daddy in navy with children - perhaps Philippines.jpg
    Daddy in navy with children - perhaps Philippines.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 138
My great grand father died due to the WW1, but Sweden wasn't at war, nor in the trenches. He was forced to patrol the city streets of his town up North, this had been fine, if had been allowed to wear his winter clothes, instead army clothes not made for minus 30 C. He got sick and died due to this.
My maternal grandmother was 5 years the Christmas he died.

So I have bought poppies when I been UK, but it been a while now.

Back
Top Bottom