"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-09-2008, 09:00 PM   #11
Everymom

Saphellae, you need to do some hip opener exercises. It sounds like your hip flexors are really tight and when you get going they loosen and "pop" then tighten up in a weird place later and pain you. There are some lovely exercises you can do to help keep those joints well oiled. They are low impact and easy to do. PM me and I can try to describe them to you.

If it continues to be a problem I would have to agree with texasgirl and you need to get them looked at. Couldn't hurt, might help. However, you're pretty young to be needing any kind of hip replacement.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:35 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Could be snapping hip syndrome.
Snapping hip syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We see this in the office every once in a while. Seems pretty painful. Usually PT and NSAIDS help. I've never seen anyone go to surgery for it. Hope you feel better soon.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:16 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Miss Saphellae before you start up your exercise routine again, or any other "warm up" activities I suggest you see a real Medical Doctor...an orthopedic (bone & joint) one would be excellent. At your age, I doubt you have a serious condition, but you should be cautious/careful about creating any damage now that could possibly cause you serious, painful, and not to mention expensive problems in the future.

Takke Care!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:42 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
I snap, crackle, and pop so much that I could never sneak up on anyone!

lol, me too. i broke my ankle in college playing lacrosse, and now i can get it pop at will. same goes for my right elbow, which i dislocated in high school. it sounds like popcorn for a second as i straighten my arm out for the first time each morning.
and i landed on my head skiing once. now my whole spine pops away if i stretch and twist.

saph, so what you're saying is that you don't like hip pop? i'm a little surprised considering you're of that generation...

seriously, see the doc. dw worked out on stairmasters and other machines for years through some pain, and now has severe carpal tunnel in both wrists.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:31 AM   #15
Master Chef

My bones have always popped, but the most painful is my jaw! Sometimes it pops out while I'm eating, and it hurts like the devil!
Old 10-10-2008, 11:44 AM   #16
Executive Chef

No, popping is not cool for your body. I use the eliptical almost every day and don't pop regardless how many hours I wait between uses.

I'm not a doctor and don't want to give any erroneous information...but what happens to your hip happens to my knees. The muscle that supports my knee(s) is damaged. Physical therapy, specifically electro and ultrasound brought immediate relief and improvements. Excessive standing and walking in bad shoes on bad terrain lead to popping, swelling and loss in range of motion.

The good thing about the elipitical is that it's a great cardio workout that isn't weight bearing. Try riding the stationary bike to see if you pop on that.

Good luck.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:06 PM   #17
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
My bones have always popped, but the most painful is my jaw! Sometimes it pops out while I'm eating, and it hurts like the devil!
OUCH! I have the same thing happen. Sometimes I sleep on it funny and wake up with my jaw out of line and have to work it around a little to make sure it isn't going to pop when I eat. My mom had TMJ most of her adult life too, but hers was because her idiot first husband (my biological father) punched her in the face.

Barbara
Old 10-10-2008, 07:09 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
Same here, I have horrible TMJ. I was punched across the chin in grade school and developed it. When I was 14 it locked shut for 2 weeks. Worst thing was when I tried to yawn lol.

When I was in the Army it got worse as far as pain and to "fix" it they wanted to break my jaw... you can guess my reply to that.

I used to gross people out by having them put their ear to the side of my jaw and I would make it pop and grind... ahhh, fun times...
Old 10-10-2008, 07:39 PM   #19
Head Chef

I can pop and grind my jaw too.. to the point where if I don't do it it gets uncomfortable. It gives me headaches in my neck back and head. :(