Popping Hip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saphellae

Head Chef
Hey all, I recently started exercising again (about a week and a half now) and last week the eliptical sparked a popping in my hip. When I exercised last year in the spring I also felt it on the eliptical but it didn't bother me. After I got off the eliptical last week it was painful to walk up stairs.

I was okay a couple of days later, I took it easy and last night started the more rigorous routine again, but afterwards my hip was popping again. It is the outside of my hip, feels like the joint or the tendon. It isn't painful this time, I just feel uncomfortable in that area right now.

Has anyone else experienced this, and could it be I just didn't wait long enough to recuperate from an injury last week?

I snap, crackle, and pop so much that I could never sneak up on anyone!

I really think you should not use the eliptical again until after you see your doctor. Soon.

My knees pop all the time (have since I was around 12, or at least that is when I first noticed it), and now I often have trouble with them, especially on stairs. When I baby the one that is hurting (sometimes it is the left, sometimes the right, and sometimes both at the same time), it gets better for awhile. But if I keep aggravating it, it just gets worse. So don't continue to aggravate your hip. Have the doctor check it out as soon as possible.

:)Barbara

Thanks Barb, I should make an appointment with a chiropractor in the area one of these days and see what's up.
Man, I am hungry but I am super indecisive. I'm glad I don't have any chips here, or else I would be shoving them down my hole!

I know what you mean! I have had too many tortilla chips and salsa lately and my swollen ankles are complaining!

:)Barbara

I'd send you the rest of mine, but they might be a little crumbly by the time you got them in a week or so!

:LOL:Barbara

Look, you need to have it looked at. MIL did that when we were at the coast while swimming. It continued until it started hurting her. She ended up having to have a hip replacement due to the hip popping out over and over and damaging the "ball" end of her leg that goes into the socket. More than likely, not what is going on with you, but, I would check to be sure.

I don't think it is that serious, but I agree and I am planning on making a physiotherapist appointment soon, after I inquire if my plan at work covers it and what the process is.

I am the same as Barb. My knees have popped since I was in elementary school. If I put my hand over them and move my knee it feels as if it is grinding.

I still play basketball, ride the bike without much issues. I may get them checked out in another 20 years. hehe

Saphellae, you need to do some hip opener exercises. It sounds like your hip flexors are really tight and when you get going they loosen and "pop" then tighten up in a weird place later and pain you. There are some lovely exercises you can do to help keep those joints well oiled. They are low impact and easy to do. PM me and I can try to describe them to you.

If it continues to be a problem I would have to agree with texasgirl and you need to get them looked at. Couldn't hurt, might help. However, you're pretty young to be needing any kind of hip replacement.

Miss Saphellae before you start up your exercise routine again, or any other "warm up" activities I suggest you see a real Medical Doctor...an orthopedic (bone & joint) one would be excellent. At your age, I doubt you have a serious condition, but you should be cautious/careful about creating any damage now that could possibly cause you serious, painful, and not to mention expensive problems in the future.

Takke Care!

I snap, crackle, and pop so much that I could never sneak up on anyone!

lol, me too. i broke my ankle in college playing lacrosse, and now i can get it pop at will. same goes for my right elbow, which i dislocated in high school. it sounds like popcorn for a second as i straighten my arm out for the first time each morning.
and i landed on my head skiing once. now my whole spine pops away if i stretch and twist.

saph, so what you're saying is that you don't like hip pop? i'm a little surprised considering you're of that generation...:cool:

seriously, see the doc. dw worked out on stairmasters and other machines for years through some pain, and now has severe carpal tunnel in both wrists.

No, popping is not cool for your body. I use the eliptical almost every day and don't pop regardless how many hours I wait between uses.

I'm not a doctor and don't want to give any erroneous information...but what happens to your hip happens to my knees. The muscle that supports my knee(s) is damaged. Physical therapy, specifically electro and ultrasound brought immediate relief and improvements. Excessive standing and walking in bad shoes on bad terrain lead to popping, swelling and loss in range of motion.

The good thing about the elipitical is that it's a great cardio workout that isn't weight bearing. Try riding the stationary bike to see if you pop on that.

Good luck.

My bones have always popped, but the most painful is my jaw! Sometimes it pops out while I'm eating, and it hurts like the devil!
OUCH! I have the same thing happen. Sometimes I sleep on it funny and wake up with my jaw out of line and have to work it around a little to make sure it isn't going to pop when I eat. My mom had TMJ most of her adult life too, but hers was because her idiot first husband (my biological father) punched her in the face.

:huh:Barbara

My bones have always popped, but the most painful is my jaw! Sometimes it pops out while I'm eating, and it hurts like the devil!

Same here, I have horrible TMJ. I was punched across the chin in grade school and developed it. When I was 14 it locked shut for 2 weeks. Worst thing was when I tried to yawn lol.

When I was in the Army it got worse as far as pain and to "fix" it they wanted to break my jaw... you can guess my reply to that.

I used to gross people out by having them put their ear to the side of my jaw and I would make it pop and grind... ahhh, fun times...

I can pop and grind my jaw too.. to the point where if I don't do it it gets uncomfortable. It gives me headaches in my neck back and head. :(

Back
Top Bottom