Poppyseed/Drug testing Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mythbusters did an episode about this and found that it can influence a drug test which is a bit worrying! Dh used to eb in the defence force and they can do random drug tests but he was never tested. Drugs were everywhere in the army base though despite the risk.
Its funny we are talking about drugs cause on the way home today, Erin (aged6) saw a guy smoking while in his car and she said" He thinks that looks cool but it really doesn't you know mum". (out of the mouths of babes!)

In the olden days poppy seeds could test positive in the initial drug tests. They'd send the tests back for comfirmation by a more extensive test which would separate one poppy (i.e., the kind in rolls) from another (i.e., opiates). I worked in military personnel in those days, and some people just like to screw with the system. OK, fine if you enjoy the grief. Others actually accidently ruined their careers (by the time the tests came back to Hawaii from Utah, the damage was done and hard to un-do). To this day I recommend people refrain from poppy seed rolls for a few days before a drug test. Tests are better now, but why take the chance if you're serious about it?

Last edited:
Wow, some really interesting information here. So as far as I can tell from the answers posted here drug testing is not terribly common. It is mostly in the military and in some of the heavy machinery/driver type occupations?

Buckytom, what a story! I'm on the periphery of the health care field (I don't have access to any drugs) and I know it can really be an issue with some health care providers. How very sad.

MJ, I think there are separate tests for opiates and marijuana. You are saying you only get tested for marijuana? Just wondering what your company tests you for. Tell me to shut up if I am too nosy.

As some of you know, I've been through a couple or three jobs in the last 2 years. Never had to be tested for any of them, Alix.

Here's one I never found out the answer to:
Guys who had to take their physical for the draft during the Vietnam years claimed it was possible to mess up your blood pressure, and hence flunk the physical, by lathering up your armpit and not washing the soap away. Sounds pretty lame to me, but I did hear this a lot back then.

Any old fogies like me out there know the answer?

pdswife said:
I'll keep my fingers crossed for your son! Good LUCK!!!!

Thanks for the support!!! He's loving the academy and is so motivated-----big change from when we were barely getting him thru high school---SMART kid---just not a good fit at a huge pressure cooker high school. Glad that he's found his way.:)

When hubby started his new job, he had to take a drug test & they can give him one at any time.(He works for a company that makes kayaks, they also hire a lot of people that have served jail time for various things as a way to to help them rehabilitate, for lack of a better word.) Now, the day before he took his drug test he ate some poppy seed rolls & there was a faint showing of meth in his results. Hubby has never used any kind of drugs in his life. They re-tested him the following week & everything came back fine.

One other thing, the place my FIL works for takes hair samples for drug tests. They say that drugs stick around much longer in the hair than in blood or urine.

Last edited:
Goodness, my post about the poppy seeds caused a lot of comment!
As many of you know, the grandson that my husband and I raised got into trouble with drugs on several occasions. (He's been through re-hab, gotten his GED, living with his other grandparents, and doing great now, by the way.)

Anyway, on one of the occasions that my husband and I met with his probation officer, there was a chart on the wall showing things that could affect a drug test, and poppy seeds were on the chart. That's where I got my info.

OK, talked to the lab tech who came in to do stuff last night. She told me that with the tests here they do an "express" screen and if that one turns up with any positives then they fire it off for the more in depth test that will say what specifically was ingested. I think someone already mentioned that.

I'm still finding it interesting to see how prevalent drug testing is. Thanks for all your responses.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom