"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-15-2006, 08:53 PM   #1
Everymom

Poppyseed/Drug testing Question

Ok, the salad thread made me wonder about this. Constance reminded us that if you eat poppyseeds you will fail a drug test. I work in a place where we sometimes make the patients take drug tests, but never the staff. How common is it in the US for people to take drug tests? I don't know anyone who has ever taken one. Now admittedly I don't hang with professional athletes, but I do know lots of folks who work in government positions, and high up in companies etc. I don't think it is a very common practice here. Is it commonplace where you live?

Old 08-15-2006, 09:07 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Ok, the salad thread made me wonder about this. Constance reminded us that if you eat poppyseeds you will fail a drug test. I work in a place where we sometimes make the patients take drug tests, but never the staff. How common is it in the US for people to take drug tests? I don't know anyone who has ever taken one. Now admittedly I don't hang with professional athletes, but I do know lots of folks who work in government positions, and high up in companies etc. I don't think it is a very common practice here. Is it commonplace where you live?
I am a professional driver, and I get random drug tests about every 3 months or so, or if i get into an accident (thats never happened before). The poppy seed thing is a myth, I asked my Doc about it when I got tested once. My co-worker/boss was trained in this area and also says the same thing.

If you work at a place where you make your patients take drug tests, I am sure you are aware of the fact that it is very easy to cheat. A blood test only way to know for sure.

Old 08-15-2006, 09:21 PM   #3
Everymom

We generally don't test for opiates (where the poppyseeds would play in), we are testing for marijuana usually.

And actually depending on what test is used poppyseeds DO affect the test. I suspect though that it is more the very sensitive tests that athletes have to take. I mean hey, a decongestant messed up Silken Laumann in a drug test. (She's a Canadian rower)

Maybe the tests that are used routinely in the workplaces there are not that sensitive MJ? maybe the poppyseeds wouldn't affect the outcome of those ones?
Old 08-15-2006, 09:34 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

The social director of our club once said that the poppyseeds may be detectable in a drug test.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:58 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
We generally don't test for opiates (where the poppyseeds would play in), we are testing for marijuana usually.

And actually depending on what test is used poppyseeds DO affect the test. I suspect though that it is more the very sensitive tests that athletes have to take. I mean hey, a decongestant messed up Silken Laumann in a drug test. (She's a Canadian rower)

Maybe the tests that are used routinely in the workplaces there are not that sensitive MJ? maybe the poppyseeds wouldn't affect the outcome of those ones?
Maybe they do effect the test, but it will be obvious if it is poppyseed or drugs. Poppyseeds will not make you fail a marijauna drug test down here - I have passed them all and I am a poppyseed lover.

I guess I'm not sure how sensitive your tests are. Maybe thats the problem if you have a reason to question someone.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:03 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
Maybe they do effect the test, but it will be obvious if it is poppyseed or drugs. Poppyseeds will not make you fail a marijauna drug test down here - I have passed them all and I am a poppyseed lover.

I guess I'm not sure how sensitive your tests are. Maybe thats the problem if you have a reason to question someone.
Oh dear, oh dear!
I use black poppy seeds frequently but White poppy seeds (khas khas) even more!

But then we don't have many drug tests over here!!
Old 08-15-2006, 10:16 PM   #7
Head Chef

My husband is an interstate truck driver; they have random tests (company rules, DOT can have you tested whenever besides) at least 4 times a year. And yes, these tests will pick up if you have been eating anything with poppyseeds. Good thing that he doesn't care for food with them!!
Old 08-15-2006, 10:21 PM   #8
Master Chef

Interesting story, whether true or not, I'm not sure-----back before nurses would actually acompany you to the urinal for your drug test some men were testing "positive" for pregnancy tests---they were substituting their significant "others" urine for the tests so that they would get clean tests. Have you heard of this or is this just a good story??

On a different tangent I did have a nonsmoking friend test positive for nicotine because she worked in an office with smokers--the test was that sensitive. I guess there is something to secondhand smoke afterall.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:28 PM   #9
Head Chef

I can believe it about non-smokers. When I get dishes and plates back from my neighbor across the road from me; I start gagging right away because of the smoke residue left on those dishes!!!! To tell you the truth, I no longer send food to her in any dishes that I want returned, it is that bad!!!
Old 08-15-2006, 10:31 PM   #10
Cook

Morphine from poppy seeds will show, up to around five hours after consumption. Poppy seeds used in cooking generally include both opium and non-opiate seeds. There's also some sort of additional test they can do if you claim to only have had poppy seeds since there's some substance in raw seeds that doesn't exist any longer once they have been processed into something naughty.