"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-17-2007, 09:29 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,167
Porch settin'!

As long as we can, Buck and I sit out on our spacious front porch - 30 feet by 12 feet deep. We've been blessed with extraordinary weather this late in the year this year, in that we've been able to sit out on the porch, in our shorts, most evenings until at least 8:30. Tonight, we're out here again and are being "serenaded" by a heavy, steady rain. Quite soothing, actually. In a way, knowing that the ground will be softer to prepare for Tucker's final resting place.

Through all this, we are surrounded by a myriad of our outside kitties, who have perched themselves upon the porch railing. So, as I look around, I see Mama Chiefy, daughter Sally, Squeakers, Violet, newly-proclaimed president, Thelma, and Sally's brother, Mack, asleep in my arms.

I'm gonna miss my porch settin' time with my babies. This "time out" certainly is more theraputic and less expensive than any drug therapy I can imagine.

__________________

__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:31 PM   #2
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
God's crying with you Katie. The peace just seeps into your bones doesn't it? I envy you, I want a porch like yours.
__________________

__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:38 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
God's crying with you Katie. The peace just seeps into your bones doesn't it? I envy you, I want a porch like yours.
Come on down, Alix! I'm told that one of the original "ladies of the house" hosted at least 4 tables of bridge on this porch.

Trust me. It's huge. I only gave the dimensions of part of it.

Right now it's raining "pitchforks and hammer handles," as my grandmother said, and Buck and are only feeling a bit of high humidity.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:44 PM   #4
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Raton,NM, USA
Posts: 4,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
As long as we can, Buck and I sit out on our spacious front porch - 30 feet by 12 feet deep. We've been blessed with extraordinary weather this late in the year this year, in that we've been able to sit out on the porch, in our shorts, most evenings until at least 8:30. Tonight, we're out here again and are being "serenaded" by a heavy, steady rain. Quite soothing, actually. In a way, knowing that the ground will be softer to prepare for Tucker's final resting place.

Through all this, we are surrounded by a myriad of our outside kitties, who have perched themselves upon the porch railing. So, as I look around, I see Mama Chiefy, daughter Sally, Squeakers, Violet, newly-proclaimed president, Thelma, and Sally's brother, Mack, asleep in my arms.

I'm gonna miss my porch settin' time with my babies. This "time out" certainly is more theraputic and less expensive than any drug therapy I can imagine.
Oh Im so glad you are feeling a bit better I keep tearing up over Tucker everytime I read one of your posts Im a cryer as far as I can remember especially when it comes to animals.I wish I had a porch like you have how nice to be able to sit out and enjoy the rain,rain is very soothing to me.Having a porch in general would be great I want to have a huge porch some day hopefully a big wrap around porch part with screens and part open its a fantasy of mine,
__________________
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:59 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kitchenelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 19,725
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Katie - I have been using Porch Therapy myself this week - it's truly a blessing. I could REALLY use some Rain Therapy as we have had......mmmmmm........just a couple days rain in the last 2 months or so? Whatever it's been it hasn't been much, I can tell you that! But the weather is beautiful for porch sitting and I'm glad you are surrounded by your kitties. It's actually been cool enough here a couple nights that whoever is over gets a quilt or a blanket to wrap up in. Red wine weather.........that's what I call it! Want a glass of Shiraz?
__________________
kitchenelf

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:30 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
Katie - I have been using Porch Therapy myself this week - it's truly a blessing. I could REALLY use some Rain Therapy as we have had......mmmmmm........just a couple days rain in the last 2 months or so? Whatever it's been it hasn't been much, I can tell you that! But the weather is beautiful for porch sitting and I'm glad you are surrounded by your kitties. It's actually been cool enough here a couple nights that whoever is over gets a quilt or a blanket to wrap up in. Red wine weather.........that's what I call it! Want a glass of Shiraz?
Yep. This is the first measurable rain in almost 3 months. We'll see what the rain gauge says. Only had to have our grass cut 3 times this season. Usually every two weeks. Very dry.

As for the vino.....Looooooooooooove Shiraz. Pass the glass.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:42 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kitchenelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 19,725
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I just saw where we are supposed to wake up to rain in the morning - I wish I had a hammock on the porch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd sleep there tonight! I have a bottle of sparkling shiraz called Goosebumps - we might have to bring that out Halloween night! Care to join me?
__________________
kitchenelf

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:45 PM   #8
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 3,619
We must have similar houses - my front porch is also 12' x 30'. There is also a deck the same size directly above it, but not covered. Is yours like that? We live on the front porch almost year round. The floor is smooth concrete so all my little ones over the years have drawn on it with chalk. Right now, it's covered with Fisher's alphabet and words he can spell and simple addition problems. I have a long oak bench that came out of an old school - remember sitting on a bench in the hall outside the Principal's office? Also more chairs and small tables. We often sit out there till well after midnight. There's a ceiling fan that helps keep it bearable in the summer. You're right - it's the scene of so many precious memories for me.
__________________
Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:46 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
Care to join me?
Yep, yep, yeppers!

With any luck, we'll be sitting on the porch handing out treats to the ghosties and goblins.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:47 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,395
Sadly we have no porch, just a deck in the back that's open to the elements. So no watching the rain from the deck.

We do enjoy sitting out there on our reclining loungers with gin and tonics watching the world go by,
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.