"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-30-2015, 03:40 PM   #1
Master Chef

Portable electric generators? Why/why not?

So many of you live in places where you lose power on a regular basis due to bad weather, and bad weather is sure to come. I'm wondering how many of our members have one, and if not, why not?

I know the decent ones can cost as much as a kitchen refrigerator, but I'd think when you've lost all of your refrigerated and frozen food more than once, you'd certainly want one.

The reason I'm asking is SC's sister lives in New York, and she doesn't have one. They have a big home, a place to store one, more than enough money to buy one but every time their power goes out, she relies on her neighbors generator for sharing their generated power. I can't imagine doing that more than once myself, then again, I hate putting people out.
Her brother, the SousChef, says because of the kindness of her neighbor, there's no incentive for her to buy one. I say she's too cheap. Could there be another reason?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 04:04 PM   #2
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
So many of you live in places where you lose power on a regular basis due to bad weather, and bad weather is sure to come. I'm wondering how many of our members have one, and if not, why not?

I know the decent ones can cost as much as a kitchen refrigerator, but I'd think when you've lost all of your refrigerated and frozen food more than once, you'd certainly want one.

The reason I'm asking is SC's sister lives in New York, and she doesn't have one. They have a big home, a place to store one, more than enough money to buy one but every time their power goes out, she relies on her neighbors generator for sharing their generated power. I can't imagine doing that more than once myself, then again, I hate putting people out.
Her brother, the SousChef, says because of the kindness of her neighbor, there's no incentive for her to buy one. I say she's too cheap. Could there be another reason?
Living in a place that where we can and do loose power often.It's an absolute necessity for heath reasons (medical equipment) that"s why we bought one.

An incentive to get one is what if they move?

Does SC's sister offer to to buy extra extension cords?

Pay for the fuel, oil maintenance of keeping one up to use in an emergency? Lifting those heavy fuel containers isn't exactly a fun thing to do in the middle of the night. Not cheap either.

They are noisy.On the down side if others hear one they also know who to rip off.Keep it in a safe covered place.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:49 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

An electric generator? How exactly would you run one when the power is out?

We have a gas generator because camping in the house gets old after a day or two - especially if it's hot and humid. We took a tax deduction on it, too, because I'm on medication that needs to be refrigerated. We don't want to depend on someone else for that. I think we paid about $700 for it.

After our neighborhood lost power for two weeks in 2003 due to Hurricane Isabel, most of our neighbors bought generators. We keep ours in a locked shed in the backyard, inside a privacy fence with a locked back gate to the alley.

I agree with Souschef about her reasoning, although I wouldn't do it, either. Does your SIL offer to reimburse them for part of the fuel cost?
Old 09-30-2015, 05:00 PM   #4
Executive Chef

When I lived in SE Ohio, the electricity went out on a regular basis. The longest time was 7 days when the derecho passed through a few years ago. Yes, we had a generator....this one..Honda EU3000iS Model Info | Super Quiet 3000 Watt Inverter Generator | Honda Generators
and I brought it with me to NM because I couldn't imagine living without one. Haven't had to use it because power outages out here don't last but a few hours. Not all generators are noisy.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:27 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

We live in an area where power failures are few and far between. They seldom last very long at all. A few years ago we had an extended power failure that lasted 3-4 days. Lost some stuff in the fridge and were inconvenienced. We don't have a generator and, given the odds, I won't get one.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:40 PM   #6
Executive Chef

We have a 5.7Kw, gas engine driven generator, with 120V and 230V taps. When Wilma hit, we ran a small window shaker AC, our fridge and deep freezer, plus our neighbors fridge. I will never go through a hurricane season with out one.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:41 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

DH and I have discussed getting a generator. We really haven't lost power for long, probably a few hours at most, but we have had areas nearby that have been hit by tornadoes, and either had their homes destroyed, or have been without power for days. We also have the potential for major blizzards and floods. So far so good, we haven't needed a generator yet.

I guess if your SIL lives in an area that frequently requires a generator, she should probably get one. But if the neighbor doesn't mind, and if she throws a few bucks his way, no harm sharing.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:30 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Where is the generator when it's running? I was told they are a health hazard to run indoors because of the exhaust.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:40 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Where is the generator when it's running? I was told they are a health hazard to run indoors because of the exhaust.
No way can you run one indoors Taxi!! https://www.novec.com/Safety/GeneratorSafety.cfm

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:59 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

We have a brick and stone patio right behind the house, so the generator sits on that. Then there's a water-proof extension cord that we bring into the house and connect a power strip to it.

Tags
electric