Posting seeds to the US and other countries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snip 13

Master Chef
I've wanted to send vegetable seeds etc in the past to friends abroad but I'm not sure how strict they are at US Customs.
Does anyone know how to go about sending items of this nature by post or Fedex?
I don't want to take a risk and end up having items confiscated.

Yes. We could get some little critter living in the seeds that our indigenous plants can't deal with. And vice versa if you were to receive something.

I've brought back seeds from Italy many times, fully declared on my customs firm and never got a second glance.

Were they in sealed packets, Jennyema? I recall someone (Kayelle?) bringing back some expensive mushrooms, only to find they had hatched all sorts of worms, and she had to toss the lot.

Recently, when we go through our Mexican airport, they've employed a fruit sniffing dog, in addition to the drug dogs.

I can certainly understand not wanting to introduce nonnative, invasive pests. We already have a mess here with them, both plants and animals.

Were they in sealed packets, Jennyema? I recall someone (Kayelle?) bringing back some expensive mushrooms, only to find they had hatched all sorts of worms, and she had to toss the lot.

Recently, when we go through our Mexican airport, they've employed a fruit sniffing dog, in addition to the drug dogs.

I can certainly understand not wanting to introduce nonnative, invasive pests. We already have a mess here with them, both plants and animals.

Yes. They were in sealed bags.

I've brought back all kinds of foodstuffs from Europe, including the most awesome dried porcini mushrooms. The Europeans are very used to vacuum sealing foodstuffs for tourists.

I brought back a bunch of cheese from London and Paris a few months ago.

The USDA beagle will always find your fruit, though.

P.s. I saw a show about the Miami airport and all the issues they have with people bringing in illegal animals and produce. They have a cool laboratory right in the airport to detect pests.

Last edited:
Thank you all :) I just wanted to send some sealed and treated seeds that are not available in the US. They are safe and pest free, maybe they won't have a problem with me sending them.

Yes. They were in sealed bags.

I've brought back all kinds of foodstuffs from Europe, including the most awesome dried porcini mushrooms. The Europeans are very used to vacuum sealing foodstuffs for tourists.

I brought back a bunch of cheese from London and Paris a few months ago.

The USDA beagle will always find your fruit, though.

P.s. I saw a show about the Miami airport and all the issues they have with people bringing in illegal animals and produce. They have a cool laboratory right in the airport to detect pests.

did you bring back cheese pretending it was a baby, or in the bell of musical instruments? :)

Thank you all :) I just wanted to send some sealed and treated seeds that are not available in the US. They are safe and pest free, maybe they won't have a problem with me sending them.
Chances are if certain plant varieties aren't available in the US, there's a good reason for it. They're pretty strict here. We've had problems in the past with people bringing things into the country that they thought were harmless, but which ended up causing all sorts of problems: zebra mussels, kudzu, and knotweed, to name a few.

My suggestion would be to simply check first with the US Department of Agriculture. According to their website, you can contact them to see what is or isn't prohibited.
Plants and Plants Products:
Telephone Number: 301-851-2046 or
Toll free: 1-877-770-5990
Email: Permits@aphis.usda.gov
I'd just send them an email describing what you're planning to send, and make sure it's alright first.

Chances are if certain plant varieties aren't available in the US, there's a good reason for it. They're pretty strict here. We've had problems in the past with people bringing things into the country that they thought were harmless, but which ended up causing all sorts of problems: zebra mussels, kudzu, and knotweed, to name a few.

My suggestion would be to simply check first with the US Department of Agriculture. According to their website, you can contact them to see what is or isn't prohibited.
Plants and Plants Products:
Telephone Number: 301-851-2046 or
Toll free: 1-877-770-5990
Email: Permits@aphis.usda.gov
I'd just send them an email describing what you're planning to send, and make sure it's alright first.

Perfect :) Thank you. It was just gemsquash seeds.

Back
Top Bottom