Poutine, anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

appletart

Sous Chef
On our recent trip to Calgary, we stopped in a restaurant and had poutine..very interesting..anyone else had this?

kitchenelf said:
If it wasn't for poutine a friend of mine would wither and blow away! :LOL:

I'd never had that and was intrigued with the brown gravy poured on top of the French Fries..there was also 'marble' cheese mixed in. Turns out there was shredded jack and cheddar cheese. I googled poutine and noted that it is a very popular snack of Quebec. seems that cheese curds are used in the mixture:chef:!

you've never heard of cheese and gravy fries? it's solely responsible for everything from the freshman 10, to the middle aged spare tire!

i'd love to get back to just the freshman 10. darn tasty tubers....

I think that's another one of the North-South things. PeppA, a native Michigander, loves brown gravy on her fries. I don't think she goes for the cheese, though, and she's never called it "poutine".

When I lived in MI, we got "marble" cheese all the time, and I constantly annoyed my co-workers by calling it "Co-Jack", as it's commonly referred to here.

Here's a pic of the version I had:chef:..my impression: a lttle like crispy mashed potatoes and gravy.

Attachments

• 100_6738.JPG
    100_6738.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 173
appletart said:
I'd never had that and was intrigued with the brown gravy poured on top of the French Fries..there was also 'marble' cheese mixed in. Turns out there was shredded jack and cheddar cheese. I googled poutine and noted that it is a very popular snack of Quebec. seems that cheese curds are used in the mixture:chef:!
Snack? To some Québecois, it's a religion ! :LOL:

That said...
In Québec (where this dish is purported to have originated), in Ontario, and everywhere else the popularity of this dish has spread, a poutine generally consists of French fries, cheese curds and chicken gravy (the purists WILL insist on cheese curds and chicken gravy.) But, if you order poutine in the Acadian heartland of New Brunswick you will get a bowl or plate of what is pictured on this page though greyer looking, this picture makes them look slightly golden, trust me, they're not.

FYI, this recipe is as accurate as any I have seen.

Hungry yet ? :rolleyes:

BTW, While in a Shediac NB restaurant a few years ago, I had a good giggle watching the faces of a family of Québecois when they received the "poutine" they had ordered. Stunned would be one description, frightened would be another... :LOL:

G

GAAAK! I would be most unhappy to receive potato balls if I'd ordered poutine. I don't eat it much anymore, but its one of those guilty pleasures you just have to have once in a while. There's nothing like a big ol' french fry drenched in gravy with a long string of cheese attached. Mmmmmmmm. Whooo! I can feel my gallbladder screaming right now! Cholesterol on a plate, but oh so good!

Back
Top Bottom