"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #11
Everymom

Um...YES! Trust me poutine is very available in every place you look. Its also been available in many of the US restaurants I've been in. I will admit that I'm a purist though. I like my poutine unadulterated by any add-ons.

GG has admitted that he doesn't get to cook as much as he'd like so we'll just have to allow him his foibles about poutine. If he thinks it sounds yucky lets not try to hard to convince him otherwise, more for us. It seems to me that many folks who live in California have odd ideas about food. Kadesma for instance. *giggling madly and running away*

Old 05-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #12
Wine Guy

I suspect the real reason that poutine has never caught on in the US is twofold:

1. It sounds too French. The name means nothing to English speakers and the vast majority of people on this side of the border don't know what it is. With a name like poutine, it could contain weird things like goose livers or snails. Now if you simply called it "Gravy Cheese Fries," it would undoubtedly be a hit here.

2. Americans are secretly perturbed that we never thought of it first.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Alix I'm sure I can find any number of things that others enjoy that you would consider yucky. Unless you're very unlike most forum members who post in those "who likes it? who hates it?" topics.

Steve makes a good point that some Americans would think "poutine" is too weird a word to want to try it, and furthermore French! Many Americans probably never tried quiche for the same reasons. (BTW I'm having quiche for brunch in a few minutes as soon as it's finished baking.)
Old 05-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

a version of poutine has most certainly caught on in the u.s.. ever since i was a kid, one of the best drunken foods available in diners at 3am was "disco" fries. french fries topped with gravy and melted cheese of your choice. not exactly a poutine without curds, but a close approximation.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I'll take chili fries any day over that!
Old 05-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

I've never had poutine but it's decadent-sounding enough that I really would like to. The only drawback is that the fries have to get soggy from the gravy and I don't like soggy fries (or other foods that are supposed to be crispy).
Old 05-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

that's true, andy. the fries have to be extra crispy to begin with, and it has to be eaten quickly. best shared amongst drinking buddies.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I've never had poutine but it's decadent-sounding enough that I really would like to. The only drawback is that the fries have to get soggy from the gravy and I don't like soggy fries (or other foods that are supposed to be crispy).
I wasn't going to tell anyone I did this...but the last time I made poutine, I blanched the fries first, drained, and then dusted the fries in flour, dipped in beaten egg, and then coated them with Panko bread crumbs...(and used peanut oil) the fries stayed crispy, but that made this oh so calorie ladened addiction (yes, poutine is addictive--spring means chip wagons open and poutine is available roadside--the drooling starts when chip wagons put signs up re: opening dates) even more of a "so bad for you" food. Friends who have shared my poutine tell me I should open a chip stand...
Old 05-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #19
Half Baked

I ate poutine for breakfast a couple times the last time I was in northern maine and liked it as a breakfast food just as much as any other time of day. The potatoes used in N Maine and probably the eastern side of Canada are very different than the russets we use for fries in the US.
More like red potato or a yukon gold. Maine-stays were what was farmed locally where I was staying.

I would say it is one of the most popular dishes we saw. Everybody had it available for breakfast lunch or dinner.

I don't remember seeing in on the west coast of Canada when we vacationed in Victoria but I wasn't looking for it either.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #20
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I want some poutine...