Poutine as Canada's National Dish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alix I'm sure I can find any number of things that others enjoy that you would consider yucky. Unless you're very unlike most forum members who post in those "who likes it? who hates it?" topics.

Steve makes a good point that some Americans would think "poutine" is too weird a word to want to try it, and furthermore French! Many Americans probably never tried quiche for the same reasons. (BTW I'm having quiche for brunch in a few minutes as soon as it's finished baking.)

To these American ears, the word "poutine" sounds like an activity that best happen in the outhouse. :ohmy:

It's the cheese curds that puke me. I love French fries! Gravy? Seems like it should go with something other than the side dish. That's why I like the idea of adding meat or fowl to this recipe. Get some protein in that. There's other food groups than starches and fats.

Not in my world! :yum:

And BTW when I said protein I had meat or chicken in mind. I didn't stop to think that protein comes from other places than animals. This is just a case of meaning one thing and typing something else.

In Texas we always got our FF with gravy e.i. highly seasoned white sauce. And I didn't even know I was eating poutine? :ohmy:

Unless you had cheese under the gravy you weren't. The cheese an integral part of the dish. I'm not sure, but I think the gravy used is usually a pretty dark gravy, not a white sauce per se.

You'd like poutine Addie, all the really BAD things for you that taste oh so good! We'd get you munching again in a heartbeat.

Unless you had cheese under the gravy you weren't. The cheese an integral part of the dish. I'm not sure, but I think the gravy used is usually a pretty dark gravy, not a white sauce per se.

You'd like poutine Addie, all the really BAD things for you that taste oh so good! We'd get you munching again in a heartbeat.
Poutine "sauce" is supposed to be 1/2 beef gravy + 1/2 chicken gravy. Personally, I prefer turkey gravy on poutine (and that's what I use when I make poutine at home--add the bits of turkey....yum!), but the gjetost poutine I made with lingonberry-beef gravy was really, really good...All this discussion about poutine has me craving poutine!

Yes, I'm going to buy some french fry's this weekend, some cheese curds and make some beef gravy. I'm going to try Poutine Pies and love the heck out of it. Should top off the diet from heck that I have had this past week.

Yes, I'm going to buy some french fry's this weekend, some cheese curds and make some beef gravy. I'm going to try Poutine Pies and love the heck out of it. Should top off the diet from heck that I have had this past week.
+1
But PF, be forewarned, it may become something you crave on a regular basis...

+1
But PF, be forewarned, it may become something you crave on a regular basis...

I'll buy more...we already get cheese curds weekly. Little place up the valley makes them fresh. Their garlic and chive curds are Da Bomb.:pig:

Yeah, I know, but some one has to mix it up! LOL! I don't think we ever had tourtiere besides Christmas Eve, after midnight mass. My father's family tradition. Mom said her family always had it as a midnight meal on New Years Eve. When we visited Quebec, it was on some Sunday brunch buffets, which it is ideally suited for. I know many France-French friends (my family is, please forget the canned spaghetti connotation, Franco-American) who'd never heard of it. Then one French friend just wowed at the concept, a childhood favorite. Her daughter and I got into a sort of contest for who could make the best tourtiere. Then my sibs started calling me every Christmas holiday to talk them through making my version of it, which is leaner and the family favorite.

Now I make it for .... well, whenever. It really is a great dish for a buffet, especially a brunch buffet.

Yeah, I know, but some one has to mix it up! LOL! I don't think we ever had tourtiere besides Christmas Eve, after midnight mass. My father's family tradition. Mom said her family always had it as a midnight meal on New Years Eve. When we visited Quebec, it was on some Sunday brunch buffets, which it is ideally suited for. I know many France-French friends (my family is, please forget the canned spaghetti connotation, Franco-American) who'd never heard of it. Then one French friend just wowed at the concept, a childhood favorite. Her daughter and I got into a sort of contest for who could make the best tourtiere. Then my sibs started calling me every Christmas holiday to talk them through making my version of it, which is leaner and the family favorite.

Now I make it for .... well, whenever. It really is a great dish for a buffet, especially a brunch buffet.

I haven't made it in a long time. I think it's time when the weather cools a bit.

I haven't made it in a long time. I think it's time when the weather cools a bit.

Yeah, it definitely is a cooler weather dish. Has anyone else ever heard of the tradition of eating it with beets? For some reason that was a tradition in both my parents' families.

Yeah, it definitely is a cooler weather dish. Has anyone else ever heard of the tradition of eating it with beets? For some reason that was a tradition in both my parents' families.
Yup, I think that's pretty standard here in Quebec.

If I can get SO to eat a tourtiere for dinner, I can serve her beets. That will have to satisfy the tradition as I won't eat the things.

Husband LOVES tourtiere, I first made it for him when we first married. However, he claims to hate beets, and in my family one goes with the other! I excuse him from the beet thing, but he insists on sticking with tradition and having at least a bite?

How do you fix your beets?

Husband LOVES tourtiere, I first made it for him when we first married. However, he claims to hate beets, and in my family one goes with the other! I excuse him from the beet thing, but he insists on sticking with tradition and having at least a bite?

How do you fix your beets?

I don't cook them often as I don't like them. Last time I roasted them. SO sometimes opens a can of baby beets.

Back
Top Bottom