"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Poutine as Canada's National Dish?

Wendy's came up with an interesting way to get followers on Facebook--launched a "poutition" to make poutine Canada's national dish...wonder how many followers Wendy's has snagged with this advertising campaign?

Poutition.ca

Old 05-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Sounds like real 'health' food. Good thing there is no Mayor Bloomberg type in Montreal.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Ah yes, I sometimes tease Canadians about poutine.

Wikipedia says "Poutine is a French-Canadian dish of French fries and fresh cheese curds, covered with brown gravy or sauce. Sometimes additional ingredients are added."

It sounds kind of yucky to me...

The article goes on to say, "Poutine may also contain other ingredients such as beef, pulled pork or lamb. Atypically, the dish may also include additional ingredients such as lobster meat, rabbit confit, caviar, and truffles."

Okay now that sounds a bit interesting. It's a definite maybe whether I would try it with some additional ingredients.

Maybe Wendy's will snag some "followers" but I doubt that will translate into increased revenue. Poutine is a regional dish. It already failed the test of "going national" or "going international." It would have already spread if it had any potential.

It will be funny if 10 years from now they're serving it at all the major fast food chains in US. I guess I would have to eat my words... along with a helping of poutine!
Old 05-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I know that A&W, McDonald's, and other fast food joints serve poutine here. I don't know if chip wagons serve it in other provinces...they do in NB, so that would be three provinces. I can't remember poutine in NS, PEI (oh--lobster poutine...that won on Iron Chef or ?), but I think the chef was from M'treal. The secret is definitely in the gravy and the oil used to fry the fries, as well as how fresh the cheese curds are (St-Albert cheese curds, please). I like salsa-jalepeno peppers, curds on mine, as well as other variations. So, not always gravy. But then, poutine probably isn't any worse for you than deep fried dill pickles or deep-fried oreos...
Old 05-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Poutine, drool......

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
Executive Chef

The epicenter of poutine is in Quebec. Here in Los Angeles, arguably the far corner of North America, the vibrations will not even be felt. Poutine will never make it out of CA other than perhaps a bit of penetration into the US Northeast. If you want to make poutine work in SoCal then you had better find a Latino tempo. It won't work here without salsa.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:01 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
The epicenter of poutine is in Quebec. Here in Los Angeles, arguably the far corner of North America, the vibrations will not even be felt. Poutine will never make it out of CA other than perhaps a bit of penetration into the US Northeast. If you want to make poutine work in SoCal then you had better find a Latino tempo. It won't work here without salsa.
You can get Italian, Greek, Mexican (with Salsa), hamburger and onions, onion poutine, lobster poutine, the list goes on and on. And, once one is introduced to it, the sky's the limit as to where one takes it. Chorizo + salsa + that white Mexican cheese topped with some pickled jalapenos, maybe slivers of avocado...hmmm...I can taste it.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:16 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Yeah but there's every other kind of food including pitas, tacos, enchiladas, burritos, etc. with onions, lobster, (and as you said the list goes on).

We are far from becoming a "poutine nation." Years from now I doubt if any but a few foodies and Canadians in Los Angeles will ever have heard of poutine.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:52 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Ah yes, I sometimes tease Canadians about poutine.

Wikipedia says "Poutine is a French-Canadian dish of French fries and fresh cheese curds, covered with brown gravy or sauce. Sometimes additional ingredients are added."

It sounds kind of yucky to me...
what planet are you from, greg?
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:08 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
what planet are you from, greg?
I think it is a Canadian advertising campaign that is trying to make poutine to Canadians what apple pie is to Americans, I don't think the campaign includes L.A.

LP/Alix--is poutine available in the West? Last time I was out that way was before I was introduced to poutine.