Power bills are killing us!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
Amerin/CIPS, which is the power company for southern Illinois, convinced the State Legislature to lift the freeze on power rates. So you'd think they'd go up maybe 20 or 30%, right?

Wrong! Everyone's power bills have gone up OVER 100%...actually, closer to 150%. I saw an Amerin official on the news last night, saying that now their rates are more in line with the rest of the country. Hmmm. All I know is that people are getting bills that they can't afford to pay.
We have a small, all electric, energy efficient home. They took away our all electric discount, and raised our bill from $160 per month to $336. My daughter's bill went up to $500...no way they can afford that. And our small town high school got a bill for $12,000! A number of small businesses are saying that they will have to close their doors.

Everyone's raising **** with the state legislators, but whether or not it helps remains to be seen. :mad:

I just wonder what kind of power rates the rest of you pay?

I have Ameren UE over here in Missouri, Constance, and my bills are nowhere near that--highest is in the summer with the AC on, and it hits $150 at most.

Ameren is angling for a rate increase here, too, but the legislators are not interested. Ameren was responsible for the dam break at Taum Sauk, which has ruined our tourist business for the last 2 years. The power outages after our ice storms didn't curry any favor, either.

Some of our small towns, ones that have city utilities, have seen increases like that since deregulation. They used to be able to buy discounted power, now they have to pay what the market will bear, and some of my neighbors have had power go up 300 percent.

we pay roughly £170.00 a quarter, so that`s about ~$300.00
translates as ~$100 a month.

so Those prices unless you live in a Huge castle in Scotland, is Well out of order!
no wonder you`re p!ssed! I would be and Then Some! :(

Just got my bill yesterday and it was $135.00 and I thought that was high.
I keep the temp. from 65 at night to 68 during the day. The month before the bill was only $66, but then we had that really cold spell last month.

Having moved to Florida from the Adirondacks in New York State, I can relate, Constance. It's such a helpless feeling.... they've got you over the barrel.

I've got TXU electric - worse than what Enron charged CA customers! Last month I was running around in thermal underware with sweat pants and shirt, and thick wool socks (I thought it was sexy but most others would probably not agree ... :-p ) ... kept the thermostat about 60ºF, spent a week where the temp in my apt didn't get above 45ºF ... my electric bill was $435! That is about $150 more than the worst bill I ever had - when it was much colder, and for longer!

Whoever said that deregulating utilities stimulates competition and lowers prices should be taken out and hung, IMHO. :mad:

Last edited:
I don't blame you for being upset. That was a terrible increase. We live in a long single-wide mobile home (all electric) and do not skimp on heating and cooling (we don't go nuts with it either, but we like to be comfortable). Our bills have been around $120-$130. They are, of course, lower in the spring and fall and higher in the winter and summer, but from what I have heard from most of our friends around here, we can't complain too much. At this stage of our lives though, we are barely able to get by at these rates. I don't know what we would do if ours went up like yours did. I guess we would be using lots of blankets at night, using the computers at the library, washing our clothes at the laundromat, and washing up and going to the bathroom at the gas station! :ohmy:

:) Barbara

I have what I consider a relatively small house.. maybe average, nothing like the McMansions they are building all over the place here in Texas... my bill averages around 300 per month which seems high to me. I have been doing everything to help reduce our monthly bill... swapping light bulbs for compact flouresent, unplugging TVs when not in use, keeping doors closed... you name it, I try to be very conscience about wasted enrgy, I think we barely break even to the rate increases. We have Reliant and can't say I have been to happy with the folks!

lyndalou said:
Having moved to Florida from the Adirondacks in New York State, I can relate, Constance. It's such a helpless feeling.... they've got you over the barrel.

How true! Thing being, we happen to own some stock in the company, and they had a 600 million dollar profit last year, so it's not a matter of whether or not they can afford to stay in business.
It's just plain greed and politics. The southern part of the state, from Springfield down, has a much smaller population than the northern part (think Chicago). Thus, we have far less representation in the state legislature.
Add to that fact that Illinois has more than it's fair share of political coruption, and the whole thing comes down to putting money in the right people's pockets.

There are all sort of protests being formed and legal action going on, and even the Federal Housing Authority is saying they don't know what they're going to do.

There are all sorts of protests being formed. I know something's gotta give. Even the state agencies down here are getting hurt.

Simply put, greed stinks. I hope that enough people will become concerned and rise up that the utility companies will have to listen. The greedy are living large at all of our expenses. It is that kind of behavior that starts revolutions and tumult. Let a significant people suffer injury or death because they can't afford to heat their homes and we'll see action. Of course, then the damage has already been done.

Greed is a sin and is punishable. I hope the law sees it as morally wrong as well.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

wow, i am amazed at how much some of you guys have to pay for electricity. i live in minneapolis/st.paul suburbs in minnesota and my electric bill is on average $60 in the winter, closer to $100 in the summer with the a/c on. and we use the a/c alot, my bf is an a/c freak and wants the house at 72 all summer long. we keep the house at 70 in the winter, but we have a gas furnace so that might make a difference why it's cheaper. i guess i never knew people payed hundreds a month just for electricity.

Kat said:
wow, i am amazed at how much some of you guys have to pay for electricity. i live in minneapolis/st.paul suburbs in minnesota and my electric bill is on average $60 in the winter, closer to $100 in the summer with the a/c on. and we use the a/c alot, my bf is an a/c freak and wants the house at 72 all summer long. we keep the house at 70 in the winter, but we have a gas furnace so that might make a difference why it's cheaper. i guess i never knew people payed hundreds a month just for electricity.
Yes, the gas furnace makes a big difference. Electric heating and cooling uses a lot of power. I wish I could use a gas dryer, as they cost a lot less to run. LOL I guess that is kind of a moot point though since my dryer died about 2 years ago! I am getting one soon though, and I can't wait! I just wish it could be a gas dryer!

:) Barbara

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom