"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-12-2007, 11:02 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I will absolutely keep John and Sheila in my thoughts now and in the long months of recovery ahead. A stroke is so hard for everyone. Not being able to communicate like before when your thought processes are working fine is unbearably frustrating. Be sure and tell them both that folks all over the world are rooting for them and wishing John a speedy and complete recovery. They are already blessed with wonderful neighbors like you!

Old 12-13-2007, 01:18 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I can tell you, of all the places to come for aid, you've chosen the best place in the world..I know, because not to long ago, I needed prayers and this group of wonderful people, helped me through a tough time...Their prayers and good thoughts gave me the strength to believe, I could make it and I did...So I am happy to give something back.. Many prayers and good thoughts for John and Sheila are on the way...

kadesma

Old 12-13-2007, 07:11 AM   #13
Executive Chef

All the best to your neighbours CSalt. Hoping for as speedy a recovery as is possible for him and the strength to bear it all.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:20 AM   #14
Sous Chef

A Small Update

John is now off the drip; off the feeding tube and off the catheter.

He is sat out of bed on the wheelchair sometimes and is having fairly intense phsyio as still paralysed down one side.

He keeps trying to get out of the chair and is getting rather frustrated and as we often do, taking it out on Sheila, his nearest and dearest. Sheila is such a stalwart but she knows there is many a rocky, hurtful time ahead as John tries to vent his frustration.
My heart goes out to her. As a relatively recent Caregiver I found this to be very common, especially with Alzheimer Sufferers but it's much harder when it's the person you love most in all the world.
Thankfully she can talk about it and doesn't try to bottle it up.
We were laughing because John told her he 'had a stiff brain'...a few seconds later I couldn't remember something I was trying to tell her about so said ' I have a stiff brain too!' we agreed it was going to become a permanent saying!!
Thanks all for your positive vibes and prayers.