"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-09-2007, 07:31 PM   #1
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Prayers & Good Vibes Needed Please

TC (my son) has been having some problems with his right hip for about a week, he can't put all his weight on it & he's been complaining of a sharp pain from his hip to his knee. Well, we took him to the doctor Monday & were told that his range of motion in that hip is not where it should be so we have an appointment with a orthopedic (sp?) surgeon Thursday afternoon to see what's going on. The main reason the doc wanted to do this instead of x-rays is because 3 summers ago TC sprained the same hip & he wants to be sure that there is no fluid on the joint or anything else. He didn't specify the "anything else" so I'm assuming he meant cartlidge damage or something of the sort. TC is pretty upset about this because if something is wrong, it means that he's not going to be able to finish the basketball season.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:36 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
Prayers and good vibes comin your way Crewsk. Lets hope nothing is wrong!

Old 01-09-2007, 07:37 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Prayers and hugs to you and TC. Hope all is well soon!
Old 01-09-2007, 07:40 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Darn Crewsk, that is just awful...Poor TC, I send hugs and prayers to you for him and fingers crossed, there is nothing serious, so he can finish his basketball season. Poor guy..I hate seeing children in pain and being dissapointed...Wish I could take it away for him.

kadesma
Old 01-09-2007, 07:43 PM   #5
Master Chef

Thanks MJ, pds, & kadesma!

He went to basketball practice tonight with a promise from his dad (he's the coach) not to let him do too much.

Kadesma, I wish I could take it away too.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:51 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I'd still get a new xray since his last one was three summers ago. Orthopedics is a good idea as well, but two totally different points of view, so an xray would substantiate what if anything the ortho doc recommends.

I wonder what the correlation is between the hip and the knee. I only ask because approx. 10 years ago I injured my knee while working out in the gym, and now on the same side, my hip gives me trouble. He's young, so I would definately pursue an xray otherwise your son could have life long problems. I sincerely hope your son TC has good news. Prayers to you and TC.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:06 PM   #7
Master Chef

Thanks Amber, I'll keep that in mind. Another reason the doc didn't go ahead with an x-ray is because he said more than likely it would just show a normal looking hip & won't tell us anything. I'm just trying to figure out what the ortho doc is going to do to find out what's wrong.

I don't know what the correlation is between the hip & knee. My guess would be it has something to do with the muscles & all being connected from one to the other.

TC has a very high tolerance to pain so I know that since he's complaining about it, it's really hurting. Another thing is, just how long has it been hurting & he's not said anything. He didn't really complain until about 2 weeks after he sprained his hip the first time. Also, 2 summers ago he broke his thumb on a Friday morning & didn't say a word about it until that night when it had already swollen up & turned black, he just stayed outside & played all day.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:22 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Poor Tc. I hope it's nothing serious Crewsk.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:25 PM   #9
Master Chef

Thanks middie!
Old 01-09-2007, 09:59 PM   #10
Master Chef

Dear Crewsk,

Any mention of doing an MRI?? That will tell a lot-----far more than any xray ever will. Your son sounds like a real trooper with a very strong threshold for pain......Relaxing in a warm tub or whirlpool with epsom salts will help in the meantime. Good luck and keep DC posted as to his condition. Prayers all around.