"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-21-2008, 09:56 AM   #111
Sous Chef

Thanks you guys, we definately have alot to ask the doctor when we go today! Of course, I will let you all know how it went, asap. ;)

Old 03-21-2008, 10:01 AM   #112
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Prayers going out, pronto, Ms. Dawn!

I would be consulting a nutritionist immediately to get help for providing him with all the nutrition he needs, as tastily as possible. Once you get the info of what he needs to be eating, come back here and we'll flood you with recipes.

and good luck!

Old 03-21-2008, 10:04 AM   #113
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnT View Post
Thank you Barb, Middie and Suziquzie. Dialysis will keep him going until a kidney can be found. Unfortunately, from what I read the life expectancy for Jim is 8-10 years after transplant. He is only 46. I hope they don't find a kidney. Is that awful?
nonononono! don't say that! One of my dearest friends has had two kidney transplants. he did very well for more than 10 years on the first one, and had decided not to seek a second one, since his kids were then grown. However, his oldest child -- his daughter -- insisted she was going to give him one of hers. He wanted to forbid that, but I and some other saner folks talked him into graciously accepting it. Everyone is SO glad we'll have Kenny around a good while longer.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:08 PM   #114
Sous Chef

Thank you, ChefJune. That was definately Not one of my more sane moments!! We are hoping this new doctor will be more helpful and give us much more than the old one did. Thank you for the prayers and concern, I know it is heartfelt. Dawn :)
Old 03-21-2008, 09:44 PM   #115
Senior Cook

Dawn,

First off, let me say I am sending you a big, warm Michigan hug. Secondly, I agree with other posts who have suggested you consult a dietician. I've been a nurse for 28 years and I can tell you that nurses & doctors do not have anywhere near the nutrition knowledge that a dietician has. I might suggest you ask around and see if you can find a dietician in your area who specializes in treating patients with kidney disease. Maybe you could call the local dialysis center and ask if the have a dietician on staff. Best of luck to both of you.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:13 AM   #116
Sous Chef

Thank you stagazer021, I am waiting to hear from the dietician as I type!
Old 03-25-2008, 07:22 AM   #117
Sous Chef

Our meeting with the new kidney doctor went great. Jim came away from there feeling better about himself, the disease, and his doctor then ever before! The doctor has ordered an ultrasound, made changes in meds, talked to us like we were people that didn't have a degree in medicine and actually took time to answer questions Jim had, explained what things meant and why he(doc) wanted to try things. The doctor also asked me how I was doing, if I needed more info in order to help Jim, and set up to talk to a dietician. What a difference!! :)
Old 03-25-2008, 10:34 AM   #118
Executive Chef

Sounds great!! Having a good relationship with the doc is critical to good management. Mine now gives me a peck on the cheek when he sees me. (Mind you the first time he did it was before the transplant (except for the obligatory Christmas peck of course) and while he hadn't worried me much with his words, THAT had me quite worried!!!) Good that he is onto the meds straight away. Eye for detail.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:08 AM   #119
Assistant Cook

Dawn,

First let me say that you and your husband are in my prayers. Second, I think it is great that you are being so supportive of your husband that you eat only what he can eat but I would suggest you eat some protein. Your body needs it and you could eat the protein while out of his presence so as not to tempt him. If you are not eating any dairy, I do hope that you are you taking a calcium supplement.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:41 PM   #120
Sous Chef

ljmyers, Thank you. We are both having protein now. The doctor upped it to 65-75g per day (forgot to mention that in previous post!) He also told Jim to have 8 oz of milk a day. I on the other hand could not be without my icecream!!! One scoop, 2x a week. :P Jim has italian ice or a popcicle then.