"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-25-2008, 12:51 PM   #121
Executive Chef

Dawn, I am so happy for you and Jim! This is a scary disease and you need to be able to count on your doc to be responsive. You are so smart to keep looking til you found the right doc before Jim might need dialysis. That way if or when the time comes, you will know your doc well and he will know Jim well and ya'll will have confidence in him. And when you get a good dietitian, the diet thing will be much easier.

Do you feel a lot better now? Do you relate well to him? Did you meet his nurse? Here's a hint: take the nurse home baked goodies. She is the person who will find your doc anytime day or night if you need him!

Old 03-25-2008, 12:54 PM   #122
Sous Chef

Thanks for the tip!! I'll have to see what she likes and then "go to town"!! Yes, I feel so much better! I can tell you a ton of weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Now all I have to do is sit down with the dietician and hammer out a plan!

Old 03-25-2008, 01:07 PM   #123
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnT View Post
Our meeting with the new kidney doctor went great. Jim came away from there feeling better about himself, the disease, and his doctor then ever before! The doctor has ordered an ultrasound, made changes in meds, talked to us like we were people that didn't have a degree in medicine and actually took time to answer questions Jim had, explained what things meant and why he(doc) wanted to try things. The doctor also asked me how I was doing, if I needed more info in order to help Jim, and set up to talk to a dietician. What a difference!! :)
so glad to hear this update. The right doctor is key, and it sounds like you finally got one. I can't deal with those who act like you have no right to know what they're doing, or why!

I know you let out one giant mental "WHEW!"
Old 03-26-2008, 12:46 PM   #124
Chef Extraordinaire

Fantastic news Dawn,
there is so much that goes on and things that just pop up that it really helps to have a doctor and nurses you KNOW you can count on...Sounds like this new doctor, is more interested in your DH and helping him than his "ego" Than really takes a load off your mind and makes life so much easier...If you need a sounding post, I'm here, hard head and all

kades
Old 03-27-2008, 08:46 AM   #125
Sous Chef

Thanks Chef and Kades!! Jim has his ultrasound today, I told him to smile nice and he told me he was going to stick out his tounge. He has his sense of humor back!! WOOHOO!!! :)
Old 03-29-2008, 09:55 AM   #126
Executive Chef

So did they find them okay? They can never see one of mine which is a bit of a problem as the one they can't see is always the one they want to biopsy!!! At least the new one they can find by just poking me in the guts!! Mind you the scar kind of gives them an idea of the location! Also, the new one is 15cm long so I guess it is less difficult for them to "lose"!!LOL
Old 04-01-2008, 01:55 PM   #127
Sous Chef

Bilby, I'm not sure they found them or not, but I am going to assume they did as we didn't get any phone calls otherwise!!
Old 04-02-2008, 01:00 PM   #128
Sous Chef

Got a call from the Doctor that everything was okay with the ultrasound. Nothing abnormal (other than Jim's wife! LOL). Jim's BP is now back to normal also!!
Old 04-02-2008, 05:16 PM   #129
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnT View Post
Got a call from the Doctor that everything was okay with the ultrasound. Nothing abnormal (other than Jim's wife! LOL). Jim's BP is now back to normal also!!
That is great, now just relax and let yourself enjoy some time without this hanging over you...You are doing great, so is Jim..Things have a way of working out..Sometimes not just as we would like, but there is always another way for us..Look for the good and kick the troubles to the curb...
kadesma
Old 04-03-2008, 06:28 AM   #130
Executive Chef

Well said Kadesma!! and one huge DITTO!!! LOL