"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-10-2008, 08:45 PM   #141
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Awwwwwwwwwww Dawn - you have my prayers, Jim and his whole health care team have my prayers, as well as the donor. Wrap your arms around yourself and squeeze tight - that's from me!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:11 AM   #142
Sous Chef

Thank you so much everyone. With everything going on I probably won't be able to get online much, but will keep you posted. Our #2 daughter has a new job, nights M - S 12 hrs. I keep the grandchildren overnight from 1:30 pm til 7:30 am, M-F. She picks them up on Sat. as she only works 8 hrs. I usually get up at 4:30 am and get to bed around 10:00 pm needless to say, I am about exhausted after bathtime( theirs) and usually don't get time to myself til Sunday and Monday morning. I promise I will try to keep you in the loop as much as possible, as long as I don't go loopy
Dawn

Old 08-11-2008, 09:53 AM   #143
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
..sending you hugs, Dawn, as well as strength and prayers.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:14 PM   #144
Sous Chef

Thank you ChefJune. Surgery is at 8:00am! Prayers will be greatly appreciated.
Dawn :>)
Old 08-12-2008, 08:38 AM   #145
Executive Chef

Thinking of you both Dawn.

Regarding the swelling of Jim's legs, put a pillow at the end of the bed for his feet to be slightly elevated. It helps a little, obviously not as much as just staying off of them. The dialysis and the fluid tablets will help relieve the swelling heaps. He will probably find that they feel more swollen the day he dialyses and he will benefit from having looser clothing (shoes/socks especially) for those days. Also cut back even further on salt especially the hidden salts, as they promote swelling.

Good luck. I've emailed you further. Take care.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:53 AM   #146
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnT View Post
Thank you so much everyone. With everything going on I probably won't be able to get online much, but will keep you posted. Our #2 daughter has a new job, nights M - S 12 hrs. I keep the grandchildren overnight from 1:30 pm til 7:30 am, M-F. She picks them up on Sat. as she only works 8 hrs. I usually get up at 4:30 am and get to bed around 10:00 pm needless to say, I am about exhausted after bathtime( theirs) and usually don't get time to myself til Sunday and Monday morning. I promise I will try to keep you in the loop as much as possible, as long as I don't go loopy
Dawn
Dawn, more important than anything, take care of yourself. Eat light and healthy, often, keep hydrated, take stolen, short naps when you can, walk when you can to keep your heart and circulation up, and once a day, find 5 minutes - more if you can, to just be with yourself, - quiet time. Deep breathe, and let it out, and just relax your muscles. You'll feel your shoulder muscles come down, uncross your legs, and your ankles and feet will relax.
Talk to us when you need to. There's alway someone here to give you an ear & support.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:50 AM   #147
Sous Chef

It wasn't easy!

Well, it wasn't a picnic I can tell you that right off the bat. We got there at 6:45 am. and sat around for an hour. They took Jim out to get changed, get vitals, etc. and then came and got me. Oops, some how the lab forgot to check his electrolites, have to wait for a tech - no you can't draw from that arm - he is to have blood drawn from the back of his hand. Tech has to get another tech, finally we have blood!! Wait for 1/2 hour (stat you know). Bye honey, I'll see you in a hour! Yea, right! Three and a half hours later!! Unknown to myself and my daughter, Jim's surgery did not go as planned. When the surgeon started it was with the understanding that the fistula was to be in his wrist, but his vein was too small. Okay, sew that site up and move up the arm to the bicep!! So my poor Jim has a bandaged arm from wrist to shoulder. On the good note he is home resting in our bed; the bad note is he is out of work for the next week at least- oh well, I'll deal!!
Old 08-14-2008, 12:08 PM   #148
Executive Chef

I am sorry to hear this and am just now seeing it.

Watching television about 2 months ago, they did a segment on kidneys. I listened due to my own struggles with my kidneys. Also watched due to a certain person in here that has suffered no end with her kidney ailments.

I was shocked to hear them say that 38% of the American population suffers with kidney disease of some extent.

I will be praying for you and your husband that all gets on the mend and in perfect timing. Bless you and yours...

Just prayed first prayer, and will continue
Old 08-14-2008, 12:24 PM   #149
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnT View Post
Well, it wasn't a picnic I can tell you that right off the bat. We got there at 6:45 am. and sat around for an hour. They took Jim out to get changed, get vitals, etc. and then came and got me. Oops, some how the lab forgot to check his electrolites, have to wait for a tech - no you can't draw from that arm - he is to have blood drawn from the back of his hand. Tech has to get another tech, finally we have blood!! Wait for 1/2 hour (stat you know). Bye honey, I'll see you in a hour! Yea, right! Three and a half hours later!! Unknown to myself and my daughter, Jim's surgery did not go as planned. When the surgeon started it was with the understanding that the fistula was to be in his wrist, but his vein was too small. Okay, sew that site up and move up the arm to the bicep!! So my poor Jim has a bandaged arm from wrist to shoulder. On the good note he is home resting in our bed; the bad note is he is out of work for the next week at least- oh well, I'll deal!!
Dawn, these thing are always so emotionally draining, and nothing seems to go as planned or quickly, but hang in there.
All of us have you, both in our prayers.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:34 PM   #150
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Thanks for the update, Dawn. Prayers continuing.... everything is going to be fine. and when you need to gripe, we're here.