Prayers and info please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Running after the grandchildren helped!! :>) I also ate alot more veggies, less cookies : ( and ended up losing 50 lbs+.

You lost 50 lbs???? Way to go, Dawn! That's an amazing accomplishment. I had a friend who's cholesterol was up there and she was on all sorts of different meds to lower it, which did lower it a few points. But when she lost 30 lbs., it dropped down nice and low like yours and her blood pressure even went to normal. But wow, losing weight is really hard. So you should be patting yourself on the back big time!!!

Okay, so my son; who turns 21 tomorrow, just told me that if his blood type matches his dad's he is going to give him his kidney. I told him the odds were against that happening but he is calling his Dr. and setting up testing to screen for the disease, see if he is fit enough etc. I threatened to take away his birthday but he just laughed and said that would give dad 2 for the price of 1!! The brat. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. He is as stubborn as an a** ( probably gets it from me). I'm going crazy here!! And I don't have a rubber room. :>( Dawn

Running after the grandchildren helped!! :>) I also ate alot more veggies, less cookies : ( and ended up losing 50 lbs+.
Okay, I think I can use this information to my advantage. I am going home to visit my family in a few weeks. I will tell my daughter that if she cares about my health she will let my grandkids come home to live with me! :LOL:

Seriously, I'm glad your cholesterol has come down. That is something I am working on now. I can't afford the Lipitor the doctor prescribed, so I started taking niacin again (it keeps me from getting migraines and is also supposed to help with cholesterol). I really need to get back on track with my eating and exercise.

:)Barbara

Good luck Barbara!! Once you get those grandbabies home you'll never let them go! :) I know all about migraines, have had them since I was 10 years old. No fun at all. I am on Topomax for them now. Very $$$, thank God for insurance. Walking seems to help with weight and migraines. Dawn

Do you know what type of migraines you get Dawn? The doctor said mine are called "Classic Migraines." The doctor said they were caused by the blood vessels to my eyes closing up (which causes me to lose some of my vision, sometimes see sparkles, and sometimes get sick to my stomach), then after about 20 minutes they open wide again, causing the headache. The doctor had me on expensive medicine too, but I had to wait for the headache to take them. When I started taking niacin I went from a migraine every week or two to one every year or two. Not all migraines are the same, so it might not help with yours, but if you have classic migraines, it might be worth trying. I get non-flushing niacin (it is a B-vitamin) for just a few dollars at WalMart (with the other vitamins).

:)Barbara

Congrats on your cholestorol and weight! That's excellent! Let your son get tested. It isn't as quick and simple as just a blood test - well not here anyway. Tissue matching and counselling as well and the process can be lengthy. It will make your son happy. Cross the live transplant stage when you get to it. There can be a big difference in time between 20% and 15% function. One day at a time.

Barbara L, My migraines are classic - I go the full gamut= aura, tin hearing, blind spots, numbness from head to toe( including the mouth), nausea and a headache so bad you want a gun!! When I was little I thought I had a new way to tell me I was getting the 'flu!! Dumb kid. The worst = pregnancy. The best = after DS was born and DH had to take care of 3 kids and house for 5 days!! Maybe not the best as I had 3 days of house work for each day I was down!

Bilby, The thought of my son going through surgery is off putting to say the least. We have been to hospital so much, with him through his motocross racing career, his oldest sister in her sports and now with Jim. I know he is not a child anymore but... I know - there is no guarentee that he will get that far. Okay, I'm done. Anyways it's his birthday, he can do as he wants to!! Oh, my baby is 21!!! How did he get so old, I'm not!?!?!?!? Dawn

Bilby is right, Dawn. Let anyone and everyone get tested so that you and hubby and the docs know what your options are when and if the time comes. It will just make things much simpler and decisions easier. And wow, you must be so proud of your son! (Along with wanting to bop him for even thinking about it!)

Fisher's Mom, You are right, I am proud of him. I want to bop him sometimes but I am proud more often then not. Just let my SILs know about Jim, 3 of them are willing to be tested for donor potential. The other is not sure what she feels, and I don't blame her. Jim is the baby of the family and the only boy. I told her sisters to leave her alone and let her think about it, check things out for herself and if she needs to talk to Jim she will do it without pressure. You would have thought I had 2 heads!! Yes, she is the youngest girl and only 3 years older then Jim. They(the 3) bully her alot as it is, so I end up standing up for her.

You know, I would never wish this on anyone and I can just imagine how stressful this is for ya'll. But to find out so many people are willing to get tested must be an awesome feeling. Jim is surely a wonderful man. All these people willing to give him an organ!!! It makes me tear up just reading about it.

Okay, now I'm going to go buy stock in tissue. I've used enough these last few days to build a mansion for several companies!! Yes, I agree. Jim is definately a wonderful man and truly blessed with family and friends. As I am with my family and friends here at DC. Thank you all. :) Dawn

Just to update: Have an app't Friday with dialysis counselor. Have lots of questions for her!! Now have a new friend - SIL's hubby has a friend that is a Harvard professor of Medicine, a researcher and now is interested in Jim's health problem. Has requested lab results and tests copies be sent to him also. He feels Jim's Drs. at Strong are tops, what a relief to hear!!! Dawn :)

Dawn,
Know that Jim has angels watching over him. It's manifested through all these wonderful people that surround him -- family, friends, doctors, etc. All of my prayers are with him so he can stay strong and accepts what comes. There is no pain that Heaven cannot heal.

Thank you Dina, you don't know how much your words mean. I thank all my DC family, you guys are the world to me. Love ya, Dawn :)

Keep your chin up Dawn, DH is going to need you to be strong..That way he can just get better and not worry about you..He will know you are by his side and will love you more for being so strong..If you need to have a hissy or cry or kick the cat or bite someone, come here and let us help..You are going to be just fine so is he..If I can help let me know.

kades

Back
Top Bottom