"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-04-2008, 07:17 AM   #41
Sous Chef

Update

Went to kidney Dr. yesterday and had meds changed. Jim's bp has been going up, headaches increasing and kidney pain. Dr. wants Jim to get the vascular ports put in as a backup so when he does have a transplant they don't have to go through the neckif they have a problem. Jim has definately decided to go with home dialysis as he wants to have some semblence of a normal lifestyle; tinkering with motocross bikes, working on the barns, going to the races,.... We now have been told to have him eat 40 - 59 grams of protien a day, low fruit as it is high in potassium so instead of an apple it is a half; no bananas, dried fruit, cantalope, honeydew, oranges. When I read the list, he asked "What fruit can I have?" I also had to tell him no nuts either, you would have thought I cut off his left arm. We go back in May to see how things stand. In the meantime, the kids are being tested as possible donors for thier father.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:32 AM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnT View Post
Went to kidney Dr. yesterday and had meds changed. Jim's bp has been going up, headaches increasing and kidney pain. Dr. wants Jim to get the vascular ports put in as a backup so when he does have a transplant they don't have to go through the neckif they have a problem. Jim has definately decided to go with home dialysis as he wants to have some semblence of a normal lifestyle; tinkering with motocross bikes, working on the barns, going to the races,.... We now have been told to have him eat 40 - 59 grams of protien a day, low fruit as it is high in potassium so instead of an apple it is a half; no bananas, dried fruit, cantalope, honeydew, oranges. When I read the list, he asked "What fruit can I have?" I also had to tell him no nuts either, you would have thought I cut off his left arm. We go back in May to see how things stand. In the meantime, the kids are being tested as possible donors for thier father.
Good let the kids run with this, it is great and makes them a part of it all..That's what families do Now about the phosphorus there is a med that I have to take to keep phosphorus in check when I eat..It is called renagel and all of us on dialysis are using it..I don't need as much on the PD dialysis as on hemo dialysis, but it really helps..doesn't do anything to you just blocks the absorption of phosohorus id cut way down on nuts and especially cheese..Now of course I can have both, but do so in moderation..Find out about this med, it can make things easier for him..Of course he can't make a whole meal of just apples but you know the old saw, everything in moderation..Heed it, it oh so true..

kades

Old 03-04-2008, 09:52 AM   #43
Sous Chef

Kades, The Dr. put him on kolax(?) for the potassium. It is supposed to direct it into the bowels instead of the kidneys. Sounds kind of like your med. He needs to take it 3 times a week. Does it sound about the same? He still has pb&j sandwiches for lunch at work as he will not eat lunch meat. What about pineapple, is that high in potassium? Where can I go to find out? The list the doctor gave me doesn't seem very clear. Any help would be greatly appriciated!! ;>) Dawn
Old 03-04-2008, 04:55 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnT View Post
Kades, The Dr. put him on kolax(?) for the potassium. It is supposed to direct it into the bowels instead of the kidneys. Sounds kind of like your med. He needs to take it 3 times a week. Does it sound about the same? He still has pb&j sandwiches for lunch at work as he will not eat lunch meat. What about pineapple, is that high in potassium? Where can I go to find out? The list the doctor gave me doesn't seem very clear. Any help would be greatly appriciated!! ;>) Dawn
Dawn,
Had to get out my book. Pineapple for some reason is not listed..but, here are some Ideas for you (0 to100 mg.)
Low potassium fruits, these are 1/2 cup servings or I'll give a size:
applesauce, bluberries, cranberries -1 cup. grape juice, papaya, peach or pear nectar, canned pears, Japanese persimmon,
Med potassium fruits (101 to 200mg)
small apple apricot nectar
berries, cherries
canned figs
fruit coctail, grapes 15
gooseberries
1/2 grapefruit or juice
lemon juice
mango/papaya
passion fruit1-2
small peach
med. plum
2 Tab. raisins
2-1/2 inch tangerines
1-c. watermelon, be careful though if liquids are restricted.
High potassium fruit (201-350mg)
fresh apricots
dried apricots
avocado pears
bittermelon
dates 1/4 c.
durian, 1 med.
dried figs,2
guava
kiwi,1/2 med.
loquats
melon 1/8 of a small
nectarine, 2 inch
pomelo
small oange or juice
pomegranite
fresh med. pear
10z. pumpkin seeds
very high potassium ( content varies)
Banana,
breadfruit
durian
kabocha
platain
prunes
prune juice
taro root.
Hope this helps you a little will try to find out about the pineapple for you..
Can also help with the veggies too if you need it.

kades
Old 03-04-2008, 05:17 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

[quote=kadesma;561156]Good let the kids run with this, it is great and makes them a part of it all..That's what families do Now about the phosohorus there is a med that I have to take to keep potassium in check when I eat..It is called renagel and all of us on dialysis are using it..I don't need as much on the PD dialysis as on hemo dialysis, but it really helps..doesn't do anything to you just blocks the absorption of phosphorus..I did cut way down on nuts and especially cheese..Now of course I can have both, but do so in moderation..Find out about this med, it can make things easier for him..Of course he can't make a whole meal of just apples but you know the old saw, everything in moderation..Heed it, it oh so true..

kades
Old 03-04-2008, 06:53 PM   #46
Sous Chef

Thanks Kades!

Thank you, Kades. Jim was so very happy to see pears tonight I thought he would cry. Where can I get that book you got the ino from? You have once again proven to be a life, and sanity, saver. By the wasy, His mother, 68 years young, wants to see if she can be a donor.
Dawn
Old 03-04-2008, 07:03 PM   #47
Executive Chef

I'm glad you have some information now. There should be a dietician associated with your hospital or dialysis center that can provide you with recipes and suggestions for getting the most enjoyment from hubby's new diet. Here's a site that has the protein, sodium, potassium and phosphorus values for a lot of different foods.
Renal Failure Diet Care Guide Information
HTH, girlfriend!
Old 03-04-2008, 07:21 PM   #48
Sous Chef

Thank you Fisher's Mom!! You guys don't know how much of a life saver you are to me at this time in my insanity! I mean Life. LOL Thanks again, Dawn :>}
Old 03-04-2008, 07:24 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Dawn the book I have was given to me by the dietitian at the center.I'd contact the center you will be using and ask for help from them. Explain you want to get started NOW not wait...If they are anything like the ones I'm working with they will bend over backwards to help you.
kadesma
Old 03-04-2008, 09:41 PM   #50
Executive Chef

Kadesma is right, Dawn. The dietitians are really unsung heroes in the whole renal disease arena. They are awesome, always willing to help, will usually return phone calls immediately, and have so much information. They know how much it means to someone who's facing a tough health problem to just have a meal they like! You can't really say to your nephrologist "My hubby is really depressed about not being able to eat his favorite fruits". You'll get a blank stare. But a dietitian will understand and bend over backwards to try to find foods and recipes that will help fill the void.

So how are you feeling, Dawn? This is a lot for you to handle. Just remember that there are people here you can vent to or cry on or rejoice with. We've all got your back.