"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-06-2008, 12:14 AM   #61
Executive Chef

Yeah, the Hickman Line was for haemo and usually only inserted for short durations eg for acute patients or when other forms of access are denied. A vascath (a cathether inserted through the chunky vein in the groin) is even shorter term - like 48 hours - and you aren't allowed to move off your back. You can get another groin access for a longer time like the Hickman and you can move for that one. If you have a chunky vein, they will take it!!

I too had the AV graft in my arm but mine was in my left forearm on the inside cos I couldn't take a fistula (surgical combination of artery and vein). And then I had the catheter into the peritoneum when I went to PD - a foot of tubing in and a foot of tubing out!! When they took it out it was like having two navels!! Felt part-Martian!! LOL

Old 03-06-2008, 08:01 AM   #62
Sous Chef

Jim's da of K is 2000mg. Right now I'm just guessing as I haven't gotten any thing other than for the fruit to go by. I did talk to the dietician yesterday and she is sending me things. As for his protien count we came in at 52g total for yesterday!! The best thing was that he was happy and full!! ; ) I will survive, and so will Jim. OR ELSE!!!! Dawn

Old 03-06-2008, 09:39 AM   #63
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnT View Post
Jim's da of K is 2000mg. Right now I'm just guessing as I haven't gotten any thing other than for the fruit to go by. I did talk to the dietician yesterday and she is sending me things. As for his protien count we came in at 52g total for yesterday!! The best thing was that he was happy and full!! ; ) I will survive, and so will Jim. OR ELSE!!!! Dawn
Dawn, I'm off right now to dialysis, but will post some veggies and their MG couts for you later this morning.. but for a start, mushrooms, artichoke cabbage, cauliflour eggplant, onion peas,1/2 ear of corn. are all medium potassium veggies, (101-200mg) use 1/2 cup serving with them..
kades
Old 03-06-2008, 09:40 AM   #64
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnT View Post
What about pineapple, is that high in potassium? Where can I go to find out? The list the doctor gave me doesn't seem very clear. Any help would be greatly appriciated!! ;>) Dawn
What sort of pineapple Dawn? Fresh, canned in natural juices, canned in heavy syrup, preserved? I have various readings for canned pineapple but haven't seen one for fresh.

Anything that you can't find in a list that you really want to know about, send an email to either the supplier (like with beverages), a marketing board (like with eggs and potatoes over here), or your food control dept. If they can't directly help you they may be able to steer you right.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:50 AM   #65
Executive Chef

Dawwn, no idea as to the authenticity of this site, but at a glance it looks reasonable and may be of use. It also lists phosphorus, calcium, and sodium. You may also want to check out the National Kidney Foundation site for further info.
Food Data Chart - Potassium
Old 03-06-2008, 12:26 PM   #66
Sous Chef

Bilby,
Thank you for the sites. I will have to print them off as soon as I get to my DD's house as my printer is not working, I think it's on strike! I guess Jim is going to have to get used to mushy vegies. At least he will be able to have them and that is all that matters at this point. Oh wait, I have to eat them too!!. Oh, well. I will survive, as the song goes. Dawn
Old 03-06-2008, 12:31 PM   #67
Chef Extraordinaire

dawn, i just saw this for the first time. sorry i haven't responded.

looks like you've got some great info, so i'll just send my good wishes so that jim's kidneys get better.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:33 PM   #68
Sous Chef

Thanks Kades. We are definately getting on top of this. "One day at a time, Sweet Jesus". : ) BTW, DS leaves for northern California on the 12th to visit my Aunt and my cousin's family in Oroville! He is also going to ski in Nevada with his cousin, lucky brat!! :) Dawn
Old 03-06-2008, 12:36 PM   #69
Sous Chef

buckytom, Thank you for the wishes. Jim will eventually need to have a transplant, my kids are being tested tomorrow both to make sure they don't have the disease and to see if they can be donors. Please keep them in your well wishes also. Thanks again. :) Dawn
Old 03-06-2008, 07:12 PM   #70
Sous Chef

Now that I've had a chance to really look over the sites, I really feel like s***. Jim has been eating ww bread everyday, steamed vegies, everything wrong. What have I done to his kidneys!?