Prayers and info please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DawnT

Sous Chef
I know I've been away for a while. I have been subbing at the local high school, interesting to say the least! That is not why I need the prayers:LOL:. For the last 4 years my DH has been dealing with a kidney disease called IgA Nephropathy:mad:. This is causing his kidneys to shut down. Right now they are working at 20%, at 15% he has to go on dialysis:(. When first told about this, we were told to cut back on protien as his kidneys were not processing it. Now I find on the web that he should not have any protien or dairy:glare:. Is there any good recipes here for him? Of course I am eating whatever I make him but I will not give up my CHOCOLATE!!!:angel:

Please help and pray for Jim,
Dawn T

I'm sorry I can't help much with the recipes but I am sorry to hear about your husband and I will certainly pray for him! Skipping protien and dairy has got to be close to impossible... not to mention taking a toll on a persons strength. I hope he can get better.

Last edited:
Thank you Barb, Middie and Suziquzie. Dialysis will keep him going until a kidney can be found. Unfortunately, from what I read the life expectancy for Jim is 8-10 years after transplant. He is only 46. I hope they don't find a kidney. Is that awful?

Why do you hope they don't find a kidney? My aunt, who had type 1 diabetes for over 50 years, survived for about 15 years after a kidney transplant. An estimated life expectancy doesn't mean that's the end point for everyone. I'm not sure what you're reading, but a quick Google search turned this up: Successful kidney transplant can triple life expectancy. | Internal Medicine News | Find Articles at BNET.com

I would suggest you ask your husband's doctor for a referral to a registered dietician who can help you develop an appropriate diet for your husband. In the meantime, this site seems to have some good info on diet and other topics: IgA Nephropathy Support Network - Shedding Light on IgA Nephropathy

HTH.

Last edited:
Dawn - first let me send a great big hug.

There are lots of things you can cook. You can roast various vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, beets, turnips, mushrooms, shallots, grape tomatoes, etc.). All of these tossed with some pasta and drizzled with more EVOO, kosher salt, pepper, make a great meal.

You really need to turn to his doctor for some help. Be assertive about needing help with his diet. There are proteins in lots of things we don't normally think of.

Also, I understand your trepidation in a transplant. You also need to sit down with his doctor and discuss that. Tell him/her your fears. Let him/her tell you what the quality of his life would be without a transplant as opposed to with a transplant. Take a friend with you for an extra pair of ears. Have him/her write things down that the doctor says. I know from experience that when there are medical issues it's all hard to take in and remember.

:flowers:

I wish I could help more. Even though I have kidney issues I just don't know enough to offer any definitive advice.

GG, I've been to INSN site. Nephrologist is the one who said that the late date of onset and discovery of disease in Jim is what will cause the expectancy to be 8-10 years. In the 4 years that we have been dealing with this his kidneys have gone from 65% to 20%. We have to have our 3 children and our grandkids checked for this as they are not sure if it is hereditary or what. I don't want a kidney found because he will last longer on dialysis!

I'm sorry that you are both going through this rough time. I do have to say, that life expectancy is not always what is written. My uncle would have lived longer on a new kidney. He was on dialysis for 6 years.
God bless.

GG, I've been to INSN site. Nephrologist is the one who said that the late date of onset and discovery of disease in Jim is what will cause the expectancy to be 8-10 years. In the 4 years that we have been dealing with this his kidneys have gone from 65% to 20%. We have to have our 3 children and our grandkids checked for this as they are not sure if it is hereditary or what. I don't want a kidney found because he will last longer on dialysis!

I hope this doesn't come across as arguing with you, Dawn :) I know what it's like to have a serious, chronic illness and I don't want to upset you by sounding like a know-it-all :ermm: But the first link I sent before also says this: "...while that of a patient on dialysis is only 5.84 years."

I also know from experience that the caregiver of a person with a serious, chronic illness is walking a difficult road. Especially when a primary symptom is fatigue and the person can't be a helpmate as he or she was before, it can be frustrating and just difficult to get through. I hope you have people in your life who can help *you* have time to do the things you enjoy and just have people you trust who you can talk to when you need to. Best wishes to you and your husband.

TG.,GG.,JL., Thank you. GG, you don't sound arguementive. I know I need to have someone outside my head right now and you may just be elected!!! I'm just so frustrated, waiting for the dialysis counselor to get back to us (out sick w/flu), waiting for 2nd opinion on any other options out there. I want to kick and scream and cry but I know that will only make my face wet and my clothes soggy!! Jim just got insurance at the beginning of the month, how long will he be able to work... All these questions are going through my mind. ARRRGGG!!!

I'm so sorry to hear this Dawn. End Stage Renal Disease is very frightening for everyone concerned. Not only are you dealing with the failure of hubby's kidneys but it seems everything in your life must change.

First off, you need to get in touch with the dietitian associated with the hospital where your hubby's nephrologist practices. They are full of exactly the information you need. You will not only get a detailed reduced/low protein renal diet, but a huge packet of recipes and ways to make substitutions in your favorite recipes as well. There may be other things that would be good for your husband to limit or eliminate in order to maximize his kidney function like phosphorous, sodium and other things. Again, the dietitian will become one of your best friends in this area.

The other thing is not to be afraid of a transplant until you have more information. The statistics you quoted include all kidney transplants - related donor, living donor, cadaver donor. One of the most common is a cadaver donor and those are not always a particularly good tissue match. Sometimes because of other health issues, an organ may be transplanted that isn't an optimal match because there is no other choice. Depending upon your husband's situation, other health issues, available organs, etc., his particular transplant may carry a much longer average "lifespan".

Also there are 2 basic types of dialysis, which are very different and are accomplished differently. Bilby and Kadesma have a lot of first hand knowledge about this. While it is lifesaving treatment, it can be very hard on the body long term. Again, much depends upon your hubby's other health issues. There are people who do very well on dialysis and actually choose not to seek transplant immediately. But others can really only survive dialysis for a limited time and need to be transplanted ASAP. So you will need to be open to whatever is the best course of treatment for your husband.

So learn all you can, ask lots of questions, and look to family and friends for emotional support through this. There are a lot of people here who care and are here to listen and help. Keep us up on this, Dawn.

You said that the doctor said to limit his protein, but that you found on the web that he shouldn't eat any at all. If you don't trust the doctor, maybe he should get a second opinion from another doctor. The advice to see a nutritionist is good too, as well as much of the other advice you received here. Have you looked to see if there are any online groups concerning this disease? There are a lot of groups, such as at yahoo, that deal with diseases. Discussing it with people who are going through the same thing sometimes helps.

I found this site, which has some diet advice: National Kidney Foundation: A to Z Health Guide Item

I am praying for Jim, as well as for you, since this affects you both.

:flowers: Barbara

Yes you need to limit protein NOW, but when he is put on dialysis all will change..I'm on dialysis which is done at home..While on hemodialysis done at a center by nurses I was told to eat at the very least 6 oz. of protein a day, I have to do that now as well, you body needs it has to have it on dialysis..I also have to take a med to keep the phosphorus levels down, watch potassium and most patients on dialysis have to limit fluids and foods that are considered fluids like jello, ice cream or anything that melts... Don't be afraid of transplant, I have a friend who has had his donated kidney 20 years..Getting a kidney takes a long time at times so go through the typeing and all that is needed, if needed do the dialysis there are several types, I am doing mine at home it is call pd and has the option of a machine to use at night a cycler which I will be training for soon..Good luck, and remember fight all the way to get the best that you can..and do take someone with you armed with all the questions that come to mind. Start now, jot them down when they come..You will make it..I am..
kadesma

Dawn - so sorry to hear about your husband. I would listen to the nephrologist over and above anything you read on the web. He will need protein. He needs a balanced diet still for health and the key to him remaining healthy is to eat healthy as well as excercise. Ignore the averages. It doesn't help. Just depresses. They take into consideration people who opt for conservative treatment (ie no real dialysis at all) as well as pd and hd. They also have people who die very quickly. There is something like a 5% death rate post transplant in the first year - and let me tell you now that it is a nervous year! But it also considers people who have had transplants for decades. I was really lucky in my first month of kidney failure to have met someone who had hers for about thirty years - one of the first done successfully in Perth. Her side effects were terrible but she was alive and living a full life. Don't forget also that you can sometimes get a second transplant. That's what I'm hoping for when this kidney fails - I don't want to be dead in a few years!!!!

I have done haemo, cpd, apd and had a transplant. Once I adjusted to hd, I loved it. Hated cpd and apd. Love the new kidney!!!!! I'll pm you my email address if you want to ask me anything although it will be different for your husband to me and will differ from the US to Oz. But I will share anything I can with you that you want to know.

Thank you Fisher's Mom, Barbara L, Kadesma & Bilby. I know I'm raving, it's just so overwhelming at this point. I try to set up app'ts only to be told they will be months away, or the person is sick. I know they are human too, but right now...AAAAAAA!!!! Jim plans on the home dialysis- doesn't want to have any of his time wasted sitting around. As if!! I have to strap him down as it is to eat!!! Thanks again you guys. You are the best friends a crazy lady could have!!! I love you. ;>) Dawn

No, no, you are not raving, Dawn. You sound very intelligent and logical woman who has just found out her husband's illness has progressed. I would be very frustrated if I couldn't get the information I needed to care for the person I share my life with!!!! I'm just sorry you are having to wait because I think when they finally get you hooked up with the right people, you will at least understand exactly what needs to be done. Again, keep posting about how things are going.

And I forgot to mention that they will assign you a social worker who will be primarily be helping you with the insurance side of this. It used to be that people diagnosed with End Stage Renal Disease were automatically covered under a "Catastrophic Illness" government administered program like Medicare or Medicaid. I'm sure things have changed but perhaps Kadesma can tell you more about this.

Well I do have good news, I don't have to worry about my cholesterol!! I just got my results back and I wet from 253 total ch in June to 188 total ch. LDL went from 189 to 122, HDL stayed at 51, Tris are 76. Thank God, one thing I don't need to think about!!! I am doing the happy dance, to bad you guys can't see. Maybe it's a good thing since I thin I have 2 left feet!!

Back
Top Bottom