"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-20-2008, 08:15 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Exclamation Prayers and info please!

I know I've been away for a while. I have been subbing at the local high school, interesting to say the least! That is not why I need the prayers. For the last 4 years my DH has been dealing with a kidney disease called IgA Nephropathy. This is causing his kidneys to shut down. Right now they are working at 20%, at 15% he has to go on dialysis. When first told about this, we were told to cut back on protien as his kidneys were not processing it. Now I find on the web that he should not have any protien or dairy. Is there any good recipes here for him? Of course I am eating whatever I make him but I will not give up my CHOCOLATE!!!

Please help and pray for Jim,
Dawn T

Old 02-20-2008, 08:41 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I'm sorry I can't help much with the recipes but I am sorry to hear about your husband and I will certainly pray for him! Skipping protien and dairy has got to be close to impossible... not to mention taking a toll on a persons strength. I hope he can get better.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:55 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Dawn how awful. I wish I had info for you.
Sending you guys good vibes so your dh gets
better soon.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:07 AM   #4
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Prayers and support have been sent, wishing the best for you both.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:22 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Thank you Barb, Middie and Suziquzie. Dialysis will keep him going until a kidney can be found. Unfortunately, from what I read the life expectancy for Jim is 8-10 years after transplant. He is only 46. I hope they don't find a kidney. Is that awful?
Old 02-20-2008, 09:33 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Why do you hope they don't find a kidney? My aunt, who had type 1 diabetes for over 50 years, survived for about 15 years after a kidney transplant. An estimated life expectancy doesn't mean that's the end point for everyone. I'm not sure what you're reading, but a quick Google search turned this up: Successful kidney transplant can triple life expectancy. | Internal Medicine News | Find Articles at BNET.com

I would suggest you ask your husband's doctor for a referral to a registered dietician who can help you develop an appropriate diet for your husband. In the meantime, this site seems to have some good info on diet and other topics: IgA Nephropathy Support Network - Shedding Light on IgA Nephropathy

HTH.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:45 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Dawn - first let me send a great big hug.

There are lots of things you can cook. You can roast various vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, beets, turnips, mushrooms, shallots, grape tomatoes, etc.). All of these tossed with some pasta and drizzled with more EVOO, kosher salt, pepper, make a great meal.

You really need to turn to his doctor for some help. Be assertive about needing help with his diet. There are proteins in lots of things we don't normally think of.

Also, I understand your trepidation in a transplant. You also need to sit down with his doctor and discuss that. Tell him/her your fears. Let him/her tell you what the quality of his life would be without a transplant as opposed to with a transplant. Take a friend with you for an extra pair of ears. Have him/her write things down that the doctor says. I know from experience that when there are medical issues it's all hard to take in and remember.

I wish I could help more. Even though I have kidney issues I just don't know enough to offer any definitive advice.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:45 AM   #8
Sous Chef

GG, I've been to INSN site. Nephrologist is the one who said that the late date of onset and discovery of disease in Jim is what will cause the expectancy to be 8-10 years. In the 4 years that we have been dealing with this his kidneys have gone from 65% to 20%. We have to have our 3 children and our grandkids checked for this as they are not sure if it is hereditary or what. I don't want a kidney found because he will last longer on dialysis!
Old 02-20-2008, 09:46 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Thank you KE!
Old 02-20-2008, 09:59 AM   #10
Master Chef

I'm sorry that you are both going through this rough time. I do have to say, that life expectancy is not always what is written. My uncle would have lived longer on a new kidney. He was on dialysis for 6 years.
God bless.