Prayers for a dear friend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lulu

Head Chef
I don't know what it is but cancer has hit my friends hard this year. My husband just had a call from a dear older gentleman who we think very very highly of. to tell us he will be unable to meet us in Verona, as planned, this summer for the opera. Because he has lung cancer. I am so desperately sad. He has no relatives in UK, and I don't know how fervantly to suggest I fly over to help him if he needs it...he is an older guy, but hither to as fit as a fiddle, and so alone, he often tells us how lonely he is. I used to share our baking with him when we lived there, and he was always so appreciative, when it was such a small thing as baking for two is impractical. :cry:

Would he be comfortable in a support group? Perhaps you could do research and send him some contacts.

I'm sorry you're so far away from him.

lulu,
thoughts and prayers for your dear friend, and for yourself. He might be lonely, but he knows who to turn to for love and caring. I'm sure he will gladly accept any help you offer..Do what you can and just let him know you are there as always. He knows what a dear friend you are...

kadesma

Since I have been through the Lung cancer with my DH and he lost the battle and now going through Acute Leukemia with my son i think I would call and ask if he would like a visit from you. Don't mention helping him..he could be so independent that he would refuse help.

Dove, your advice is so valuable. I'll call him tonight. My DH called today and said he sounds happier than he has for ages.

The true shocker is the health service in UK. (not opening a poloitical arguement, just saying I am shocked) He is/was a doctor, but has been retired for a very long time. He knew something was up and was bugging his GP for ages, they eventually x rayed and found nothing and said he just had bronchitis and had to expect it at his age. But recently he decided he knew there was more to it, so he organised his own imagery (not sure whther x rays or what, but its certainly not normal to do this in UK) and found the tumor himself, took the images to his doctor, was refered and "diagnosed" last week and still has no idea when/if they are going to operate. So we'll call him daily until he knows, he was so happy to hear from DH. He realy loves my husband, who he has always known, and I think hearing from him will really help his morale.

Thank you friends, for helping me come to terms with this bad news to day.

Dear Lulu, my heart goes out to you and your DH. I lost my best friend to cancer a few years ago and my sister-in-law two years ago. I know how it hurt to see them suffer. You and your friend will be in my thoughts and prayers. God Bless you all.

Thoughts and prayers Lulu! I agree that you should ask him what you can do to help him during this time. Just to hear your voices is a great comfort to him I'm sure.

Mi dispiace tanto, Lulu... But it is such a blessing for him to have a caring friend like you guys not too far away. Yeah, just have a visit with him without mentioning "helping out". For him, just to have someone to spend quality time with, someone to talk to and care each other will be the most important thing. The weather is getting nicer, maybe taking him out to the near by Lago di Garda for a picnic can be nice and uplift his spritit!!

My very best wishes to you and your friend, I will keep you guys in my thoughts!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom