Prayers needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The more dialysis your dad does, the more he will learn his limit (to take off) and then he will be able to prevent the dizziness to some degree. The nurses like to get you very "dry" but as I always had to drive myself home afterwards, I would always opt to be a bit "wet" still. It was a real killer when I had to dialyse in the hospital in the city during the summer months as it was a good half hour drive. The sun would be glaring down and when you're feeling a little light, it was all I could do some days to make it home and just lay down for an hour or so. On those days, I would end up drinking most of what I had just taken off - somewhat defeating the point of dialysis.

Another thing is not to eat a heavy-ish meal during or directly after dialysis as that can lower your bp as well. One of our patients was in his late 70's and would stop and have a cup of sweet tea before he headed home (he also had a bit of a drive to do). It perked him up enough to get his bp stable.

It is good that you were able to sit with him. It helps the time to go by, esp at first when it is all new and a bit frightening. It will get easier from now on for all of you. Good luck.

Update: Dad is doing great with the dialysis. He's responded well and has more energy to get up and move around. As far as his diet is concerned, he got a nutritionist to provide him with the right diet. I'm so thankful for everyone's prayers.

Dina

May his health continue to progress to where he is feeling his 'old' self again. It is truly miracle when someone starts to show signs that they are improving. You are all in my thoughts and prayers, important that we don't foget and neglect to be so thankful for all the good things that happen no matter how small they are. Thanks for keeping us updated. Makes me grateful too.

The cleaner his blood gets, the better he will continue to be and it is good to know that it is working for him. My diet mantra on dialysis was everything and anything in moderation. If I fancied something on the taboo list, I allowed myself to have it but would sacrifice something else from the food category, eg want a banana, have it just keep the rest of the potassium intake low between sessions. You have to be strict at first but you soon work out that it is all a balancing act and you can live freer than the nutritionists tell you (in general). He may make some good friends on dialysis. I know I did.

Humdillilah!! Glad that all is going well with your dad, Dina, and that Bilby is willing to share his own personal experiences with dialysis. Your dad and you, Bilby, sound like fighters.

I'm so glad your dad is feeling better, Dina. I know it's a big change in his life but it sounds like the benefits are outweighing the rotten aspects of dialysis. Send him our love.

Dina,
I'm so glad to hear your dad is doing well on dialysis. It's a scary thing when first handed to you..But, as you learn and get use to it you realize that you are going to feel better,and enjoy friends and family more. Your dad is lucky having such a loving,caring family..That alone helps so very much..I'll continue to think of him and all of you...Continued good progress.
kadesma

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom