"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-19-2006, 01:22 PM   #51
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I have been wondering about you too, TG... hope everything is well and hubby is feeling better!! (((hugs)))

Old 12-19-2006, 07:07 PM   #52
Master Chef

Sorry guys. When I'm on here, I just kinda go through quickly, so I don't miss things.
Here is where we stand right now. Yesterday, had a C/T scan with and without contrast. He definately didn't like that one. Today, we go to see the Gastroendorologist {sp} he didn't even look at the C/T scan that the other doctor said we just HAD to get. $500 more that we don't have. Now, he will go Thursday to get EGD. To me, that is what he needed in the first place. They will use a balloon to expand his esophagus, so that he can at least eat, until we know any results from biopsies, or whatever is going on. He has suffered for a week, when, if he had been sent to this doctor in the first place, instead of all these other tests, he would be eating by now and we would know what is wrong. I am really starting to see why people hate doctors.

Old 12-19-2006, 07:48 PM   #53
Senior Cook

believe me, it's best to understand that in the medical industry today you're dealing with little more than high-tech used-car salesmen. do what homework you can on the internet and be hard-nosed. same with insurance.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:12 PM   #54
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by philso
believe me, it's best to understand that in the medical industry today you're dealing with little more than high-tech used-car salesmen. do what homework you can on the internet and be hard-nosed. same with insurance.
I'm figuring this out. Unfortunately, we don't have insurance, all of these tests are out of pocket. And we are now at the end of the line. But, I would rather be broke and know what is going on, than have money and my husband not be here.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:38 PM   #55
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
(((TG))))... I may be wrong but the USA is the only place I have known where you have to BUY your own health insurance to fend for yourself, and if you are without and do become ill, it is like "well, too bad..". To me it is one of the most basic human rights that everyone and anyone should be seen to a medical professional and be treated accordingly, regardless of the financial condition of the patient. Any other places I have known, citizens are provided for their (at least) basic medical care by the government.

Well, there is no use griping here, but it is a good news that he found a better, more capable doc who knows what he is about. I really hope they will put him on the right track, and he will feel better soon... my thoughts will be with you guys!!
Old 12-19-2006, 08:47 PM   #56
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
My prayers are with you Txgirl. Stay strong for your husband.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:00 PM   #57
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl
I'm figuring this out. Unfortunately, we don't have insurance, all of these tests are out of pocket. And we are now at the end of the line. But, I would rather be broke and know what is going on, than have money and my husband not be here.
Like Urmaniac said below, it's just ridiculous about the insurance situation here in the U.S. and having to pay out of pocket. Have you applied for state health insurance? Not sure if I asked you this before.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:42 PM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
tg - thanks for the update. Hugs to you in a big way!!!!! With or without insurance you get the medical attention he needs and you be firm and strong about it. NEVER take no for an answer.

Prayers for both of you!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:37 AM   #59
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
{{{{HUGS}}}} & prayers for you, hubby, & the rest of the family!! I know how it feels to be without insurance, a lot of doctors treat you like you're not woth their time, but as others have said, stay strong & be firm with them.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:39 PM   #60
Master Chef

Please keep us posted Tex..........we're very worried and concerned. Try to stay strong through all of this.

Also.....check with the hospital social services and see if they can assist you with any resources out there that may help with your expenses.....its part of their job to know these things. Thank god we have insurance. For those that live in and around our area there is a free clinic that is ran with volunteer doctors, nurses, etc.... Its for those persons without insurance and payment is based on your income. They provide labs, xrays, etc.... Its a wonderful set up. My dear friend who is a single mom just went for help and they did a complete workup on her and provided free meds....and didn't cost her a dime (she's a waitress without insurance). The areas are truely blessed to have this.

Hugs and prayers!