"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-23-2009, 05:53 PM   #101
Executive Chef

I just spoke to Dave and here's the update:
He went to the hospital to have the mediport installed and start chemo but apparently his pneumonia hasn't fully resolved. They made him hang around all day and tried to get him to stay in the hospital for another day or two, but decided not to start the chemo yet. He wasn't sure why but I would imagine it had something to do with his lingering pneumonia. He opted not to stay in the hospital but is back at home on meds. His computer is repaired but they can't deliver it to him until Monday. He's a little annoyed at not being able to get back online til then but is otherwise sounding pretty good. His breathing is still a problem but he says he's eating well and glad to be at home. He can't wait to get back here and thank all of you.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:00 PM   #102
Executive Chef

Wow, that was lucky and so fast you got back. Sucks about the computer. Although when he is feeling poorly after chemo and doesn't feel like doing anything else, he'll have that much more here to read.
Sucks about the hospital and pneumonia too.
But one more weekend to eat well, and build up strength.
Thanks so much for the report, FM.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:58 AM   #103
Master Chef

Site Moderator

They won't give him the treatment because chemo compromises/ lowers you immunity and you become open to infections, etc. If he still has lingering pneumonia then taking the chemo would lower his resistance and it could overwhelm him. People on chemo need to be very cautious of infections, colds, viruses, etc. I'm sure once his Dr's are sure he is clear they will start the chemo.

And as someone said earlier, nothing will taste good but he needs to eat. Those canned shakes, like Boost, are good to keep around and chilled. Or fruit smoothies made with yogurt, homemade are best, work too.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:38 PM   #104
Executive Chef

Hey Dave. Tomorrow's the BIG day! I hope and pray.
It will be like a birthday getting your computer back.
We'll sure be glad to see ya.
You'll want to be up 'round the clock catching up. But rest and get all better. We'll be here when you want.
And don't forget to eat alittle, often. Or all the moma's here will be beating your door down, wagging fingers!
Old 01-25-2009, 10:48 PM   #105
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
They won't give him the treatment because chemo compromises/ lowers you immunity and you become open to infections, etc. If he still has lingering pneumonia then taking the chemo would lower his resistance and it could overwhelm him. People on chemo need to be very cautious of infections, colds, viruses, etc. I'm sure once his Dr's are sure he is clear they will start the chemo.

And as someone said earlier, nothing will taste good but he needs to eat. Those canned shakes, like Boost, are good to keep around and chilled. Or fruit smoothies made with yogurt, homemade are best, work too.
These are exactly the things I said to him today. I told him about boost and dried fruits and nuts, etc. Breathing uses up a lot of calories, too and if he doesn't feel like cooking or eating, one can get calories in very easily that way. Peanut butter is also a good protein and there are eggs, too.

Dave is in good spirits, though. His sister lives in the next building over. She is 7 years older and they sometimes eat together. He is the better cook. :-)

Today, when I talked to Dave, he said that the computer was suppose to come today.

He has considered returning to the hospital because there is still some tightness in his chest from the pneumonia.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:18 PM   #106
Executive Chef

I bet he's not getting enough lung exercise and they atrophy just like your other muscles. He may feel like crap, but walking is the best that he can do. It will strengthen those muscles and cause more expansion than sitting idol, and build up some appetite.
It's cold, so walking supermarkets, or malls or some other indoor place would be good.
Thanks for the update Susan.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:22 AM   #107
Head Chef

It' so nice of both Fisher's Mom and PieSusan to keep us updated on Dave. I'm glad he's getting his computer back and he'll be back with us tomorrow. I hope his pneumonia clears up soon. I'll continue to pray.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:27 AM   #108
Head Chef

We're right here waitin' for you, Dave - hope to hear from you soon!
Old 01-26-2009, 11:15 AM   #109
Master Chef

Tell Dave to be patient with the pneumonia...it takes time to get over it.

I'm sending out good vibes!
Old 01-26-2009, 03:58 PM   #110
Executive Chef

I am definetly saying prayers for Dave.