"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-25-2008, 07:31 PM   #21
Master Chef

You're in my thoughts, too, Maverick, for getting through this as quickly as possible and with as few complications as possible. You'll be up and running in no time.

And what a nice, thoughtful, caring thread to start, Barb L!:)

Old 02-25-2008, 08:08 PM   #22
Master Chef

Prayers from Texas too!!

Old 02-25-2008, 08:24 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

all of my very best thoughts are coming your way. hope your recovery is uneventable. take care.

babe
Old 02-26-2008, 02:42 AM   #24
Executive Chef

All the best for the op Buddy. You will be sitting up in no time showing your kids your war wounds. Hope your mother gets there before you get sedated, just to ease your mind. And like Pacanis, I hope the food is good!!!

"See" you when you wake up. Take care.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:29 AM   #25
Senior Cook

A little late...., but thoughts are coming from SWFLA for a quick and speedy recovery.

Btw, listen to the docs on the COPD...I've had it since '92 and it ain't no fun.

"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon."
Mary Pettibone Poole
Ask-A-Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:17 AM   #26
Executive Chef

Cold?

I don't want to make you feel worse in any way but could you tell me if the gowns still have the opening in the back? Don't you think they could change that someway? i will never forget when I was in hospital and got up to go to bathroom sure enough the back opened wide and I felt a very cold draft. I didn't really wonder if someone saw me or not. Those ties sure don't do good job and the colors! I often think they could ask what your favorite color is so that you would at least feel like you cared. I know the hospitals could do something to make your stay little more comfortable. Do you have roommate or roommates? Are they smoking? Ones in my room could smoke. I thought that was kind of dumb. But then that was long time ago.

Whatever, I hope your stay is comfortable and that you have roommates that don't snore and will let you rest. Do they still come in at 5 in morning wake you up and give you your meds? I ask these questions so in case I have to go in, I will have some idea if it is same torment I had before. Maybe my insurance at that time requested that I be tortured to some degree so that I would want to get out fast. I think they may do these things.

Prayers are being said on your behalf. May you regain your strength quickly and all things return to normal with food you enjoy. Be strong and keep the courage. Be sure to keep us up to date on progress and if you liked anything about being in the hospital. Oh, hope the nurses practice the Golden Rule. they could be in your place.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:34 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen View Post
I don't want to make you feel worse in any way but could you tell me if the gowns still have the opening in the back? Don't you think they could change that someway? i will never forget when I was in hospital and got up to go to bathroom sure enough the back opened wide and I felt a very cold draft. I didn't really wonder if someone saw me or not. Those ties sure don't do good job and the colors! I often think they could ask what your favorite color is so that you would at least feel like you cared.
Not Maverick here, but I've spent quite a bit of time in the hospital the past six years and I've learned a few things. First, ask for a second gown and put it on like a robe, so it covers your back, or, if the color is important to you, ask for what you want or bring your own robe from home.

Quote:
I know the hospitals could do something to make your stay little more comfortable. Do you have roommate or roommates? Are they smoking? Ones in my room could smoke. I thought that was kind of dumb. But then that was long time ago.
Hospital nurses are overworked these days - the people who are hospitalized are sicker than they used to be. If there's something someone can do to make it more comfortable for you, don't hesitate to ask. When they have several very sick people to take care of, it's not fair to expect them to somehow know what you want or need

I believe smoking is not allowed in most hospitals these days.

Quote:
Do they still come in at 5 in morning wake you up and give you your meds? I ask these questions so in case I have to go in, I will have some idea if it is same torment I had before. Maybe my insurance at that time requested that I be tortured to some degree so that I would want to get out fast. I think they may do these things.
I'm sure this varies by hospital, but when they come in early in the morning to take blood, give meds, etc., it's generally so they can get the results back so that when the doctors see you, they will have as much information about your condition as possible in order to make the best decisions on your care and treatment. Sometimes the timing of the medication is important to keep a steady amount in your bloodstream. It has nothing to do with insurance, and no one wants to hang around in a hospital, so it's not about making you want to leave HTH.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:52 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

good luck, mav. good thoughts and energy being sent your way for a speedy recovery.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:38 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Prayers and hugs and lots of good vibes being sent your way.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:40 AM   #30
Head Chef

Hang tough Maverick - sending prayers and best wishes!