"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 02-26-2008, 10:31 AM   #31
Executive Chef

Thank you for your information. Sure helps. As I said, haven't been in for while and would like to know what to expect. Isn't this terrible? To worry about going into hospital? Should be grateful someone there who wants to get you better. I only hear from different relatives about the main results if they are doing okay. I thank you GotGarlic for your time. I realize may sound trite to some but better to be informed than as you said not ask for help. glad the smoking changed. I didn't like it when I just had baby and mother next to me kept smoking. How cruel was that? Nurse said no policy against it. Glad times have changed. Thanks again.

In the Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:52 AM   #32
Traveling Welcome Wagon
Those were good questions ITK. GG already answered, so I am just adding a little. The last time I was in the hospital they offered me two gowns, like GG mentioned. That definitely did improve things!

All the hospitals I have been in lately (visiting--I don't go to the hospital a lot! lol) have a no-smoking policy. Even if Buddy's hospital allows smoking (which I doubt), they wouldn't allow anyone to smoke in his room, since that is something that he has been forbidden to do.

I had to laugh at your last question--not because it was funny (because it is all too true!), but because of what my mom had happen. When she was in the hospital after giving birth to my sister almost 49 years ago, the nurse actually woke her up from a sound sleep to give her a sleeping pill!!!

Another thing that is different about some hospitals now is that some of them are actually starting to serve almost edible food!

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:52 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Another thing that is different about some hospitals now is that some of them are actually starting to serve almost edible food!

That reminds me - in both of the hospitals I've been in, they allowed friends and family members to bring in food, as long as it conformed to the diet they had you on. I had people bringing me lunch and dinner almost every day - breakfast was the only thing that was edible (scrambled eggs and biscuits) and DH brought drinkable coffee from home!

The thing is, the food looked and smelled great, but had no flavor whatsoever. Very disappointing.
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:57 PM   #34
I just spent the night in the hospital with my roomate (neither him nor I had stayed in the hosptial since we were young kids and don't remember those times) and they never made him change into a gown. He wore his street clothes the whole time. Although it would have made for a good picture if he had to wear the gown!
krichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:31 PM   #35
Master Chef
I wanted to come online and thank everyone for their kind words and support. The surgery went well, took about 5 1/2 hours I am told. I am back home now resting, they have nurses visiting me twice a week and a physical therapist once a week. Can't do much, can't even drive for about a month they said.
Thank god for pain meds!
To answer a couple of questions I saw asked, no smoking allowed in the hospital, they gave me a patch. Yes, I had to wear those silly gowns that just don't cover quite right, especially right when you need them to, LOL.
Mostly, I am just really really tired all the time. My mom did make it out the day of the surgery, and went back Friday. It was great seeing her again and having her there. I also heard from several aunts and uncles, so that was nice as well.
Again, thanks to everyone for their support and prayers.
Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:34 PM   #36
Executive Chef
Woo Hoo Buddy! We're so glad to get this excellent news. Rest and recover and drop in here whenever you're up to it. (BTW, the pictures of you in the silly gown didn't come through - you might want to check on that.)
Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:36 PM   #37
Executive Chef
Good news Buddy.

I'm glad your surgery went well and I wish you a speedy recovery.
miniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:39 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire
Yo Maverick...

You da Man!!!

Follow all the doctor's orders, and you'll be back up to speed, all systems go, and ready for launch in no time!!!!

Stay in Touch!!

Blue Skies!!!
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:40 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Hey! great to see you back, Buddy!
Kick back, chill out, heal up, don't give your therapists too hard a time, but I'm sure they've heard it all anyway and that's what they are there for, and stop by and chat whenever your awake enough to.
And we won't even mind the demerol haze
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:44 PM   #40
Traveling Welcome Wagon
I'm so glad the surgery went well and that you are now at home. Take advantage of this time to get lots of rest. Rest your brain a little, but then wake it up and keep it active reading good books, doing crossword puzzles, etc. And of course check in here whenever you can.

Continued prayers as you continue to gain strength.

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote