Pregnancy Foods: Changes/Likes/Dislikes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
I'm not sure I have seen a thread here that covered this, but something a friend told me the other day made me think of it.

When you were pregnant (or for the guys, when your wife was pregnant), did you start liking a food you had never liked? Did you start disliking a food you liked when you were not pregnant? What changes did you see in your eating habits, and did they last after you gave birth?

For me, it was a particular grocery store's cheap ground beef. We had always eaten it and I didn't have a problem with it, but when I was pregnant I couldn't eat it or even smell it cooking. I could eat other stores' cheap ground beef, just not theirs. After I had Nancy, I could eat it again.

My mom didn't like vanilla ice cream (unless it had toppings), but when she was pregnant she couldn't get enough soft-serve vanilla ice cream. :)

Finally, a friend told me the other day that she never liked fish, but when she was pregnant just seeing the word fish literally made her sick!

P.S. Obviously, for the guys, I am asking if she had this happen, not you. LOL!

Last edited:
For the first trimester, I couldn't figure out what I wanted to eat. I would walk through the grocery store, looking at food, and I would buy whatever didn't make me nauseous thinking about it.

My mum claimed that my dad got every symptom, except full fledged labour, that she had when she was carrying me, including the food ones.

I drank tomato juice by the gallon and french fries were on the top of my list of foods I had to have. I could not stand the smell of raw beef.

I had lots of changes lol! With my daughter the smell of chicken made me gag.
I craved canned peas and marmite on toast. Ate a can of peas with mayo and pepper every day and a slice of marmite toast. I don't eat canned peas usually.
I also craved beer (which I hate). I stole about 6 of my husbands beers while I was pregnant lol!

With my son it was the smell of coffee and chicken. That's how I found out I was pregnant. My mom asked if I was pregnant when she noticed that my morning coffee made me throw up and I stopped eating chicken again.
I was 4 months already lol!
I used to love sweets and chocolate but I couldn't stomache any form of candy while pregnant with Daniel.
All I wanted was biltong and nuts. I still don't like candy much.
I craved canned sardines with Daniel and lots of lemon and curry.
My food likes stayed the same after his birth. Still love biltong, nuts, sardines, lemons and curry.

I could not get enough Tuna or milk.

I craved bananas but they made me really sick.

After the pregnancy I could no longer tolerate milk. Everything else went back to normal.

I drank no joke a gallon of milk a day when pregnant. I even wanted it before the pregnancy test came up positive! And I never drink milk usually. I remember coming out of the kitchen with a giant glass of milk with Ice and my husband thought it was so weird he asked me to take a pregnancy test - he was right. Haha

Nothing changed in my likes or dislikes, but I sure did eat a LOT! With my first, I drank gallons of tomato juice too PF! I'd go home from work and chug an entire can (2L) of the stuff. And I could NOT eat enough oranges. I must have needed vitamin C. I could, and did, regularly eat as much as my husband, my parents and whoever else was at the table. I think the little buggers were actually tapeworms! With my second daughter I wanted chocolate covered donuts. Not 1, not 2, but 3 at a shot. One was just inhaled, two was savored, and three just polished off the craving nicely. Guess which kid is a health freak and which a junk food junkie? Weird hey?

we went through a lot of ice cream and milk. I mean a lot of ice cream. She still does, and speaking for myself, I guess I do too. The difference now is that she is a size 2 or 4 and I have a larger belt size than I had at the time. I think we did Ice cream before pregnancy too, just upped the container size.

I vaguely recall doing the dad thing and going to (first of all FIND !!) an all night grocery store ( which were not open 24 hrs nor were Quik Stops open late). I drove way over to an all nighter close to the university. Don't remember what it was she wanted or craved, I just remember the destination.

That reminds me of a story. When my exDH's mother was pregnant (in Scotland), she had a late night craving for Polo Mints. Her DH went out looking for some. Now, I don't know if you have seen this, but in some European countries, there are vending machines attached to the outside wall of some shops. I don't know why the man didn't just put some coins in the machine. Maybe he only brought paper money. At any rate, he tore the vending machine off the wall and brought it home. "Here you go honey, your Polo Mints." :LOL:

That reminds me of a story. When my exDH's mother was pregnant (in Scotland), she had a late night craving for Polo Mints. Her DH went out looking for some. Now, I don't know if you have seen this, but in some European countries, there are vending machines attached to the outside wall of some shops. I don't know why the man didn't just put some coins in the machine. Maybe he only brought paper money. At any rate, he tore the vending machine off the wall and brought it home. "Here you go honey, your Polo Mints." :LOL:

:ROFLMAO:

I almost forgot to metion the things a drank while pregnant.
With my daughter it was fresh farm milk with strawberry nesquick (2 lt's a day) and with my son it was Woolworths organic beetroot juice. As much as I could get my hands on, it's not cheap! Surprised he didn't come out purple lol!

When pregnant with my son it was kim chee I craved, but couldn't find, and with my daughter it was jelly beans, bags and bags of them.

Skipping ahead after the pregnancy and Jr was learning to eat solid foods. We were totally vegetarian/ organic at the time. Squash, cooked carrots and sweet potatoes all pureed easily, and he liked them all. Bananas.

I wiped his face after lunch one day, and he had a very yellow nose. I thought it was just smeared food. It wouldn't wipe off. Too much carotene in his system. I guess we tried something else to balance his diet.

I drank no joke a gallon of milk a day when pregnant. I even wanted it before the pregnancy test came up positive! And I never drink milk usually. I remember coming out of the kitchen with a giant glass of milk with Ice and my husband thought it was so weird he asked me to take a pregnancy test - he was right. Haha
I drank a lot of milk too! In fact, I started getting leg cramps (mainly when I would stretch in the morning), and the doctor told me I was drinking too much milk. So I stopped stretching as much until I had Nancy. :LOL:

I didn't eat anything without getting sick for the first 3 months, I lost 22 lbs! When I was able to eat I craved apples first, then movie theater nachos with cheese. I went to the mall and got me two gallons of chick fil A lemonade and lugged them down the whole mall to get back to my car. Every morning for breakfast I would go to the nursing home where I work, get 2 cartons of milk from the kitchen and make myself a small microwave cheese pizza. :LOL: I must have needed it, I was really tiny. Smaller then I am now. :ermm:

OJ gave me heartburn when I was expecting my second son. I didn't drink it because of that. After he was born I was so excited to drink it again, but had to stop because I was nursing him, and he got sick every time I drank OJ. When he stopped nursing, I was a little sad because he was growing up, until my husband reminded me that I could drink OJ again. Funny thing is, he loves OJ now!

OJ gave me heartburn when I was expecting my second son. I didn't drink it because of that. After he was born I was so excited to drink it again, but had to stop because I was nursing him, and he got sick every time I drank OJ. When he stopped nursing, I was a little sad because he was growing up, until my husband reminded me that I could drink OJ again. Funny thing is, he loves OJ now!
My daughter has acid reflux (since her late teens) and her youngest was diagnosed with it shortly after birth. She had to be really careful what she ate and drank when she nursed him as well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom