"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Guess we're pretty lucky then Prime rib goes on sale once a month at our butcher for roughly $3 per pound.
You cannot compare prices in different countries. For example, back in my Soviet days a pair of Levi Straus jeans was about 200 rubles. At the same time I was paying about 20 rubles per month for 1 bedroom apartment and another 200-250 rubles were enough to cover food. All while making about 180 rubles a month and no credit cards. Go figure that one out.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #12
Certified Cake Maniac

I came from a family where Sunday Dinner was always a formal meal - beef or pork roast, steak, ribs and all the fixings. Every week. Turkeys and Hams were saved for the "holidays" though we could have the occasional ham or roasted chicken on an average Sunday.

Prime rib was a favourite of my Mom's so she cooked it when she could get them and as far as I know never worried about price (thought she was very price conscious about groceries in general).

I too try to pick them up on sale, and the last ones were a buy one get one free.... I honestly don't remember price.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Guess we're pretty lucky then Prime rib goes on sale once a month at our butcher for roughly $3 per pound.
Nice. At that price I would buy a meat grinder and making my own hamburger
For comparison's sake, what do you normally pay per pound for minced beef? Ours is roughly half the price of prime rib, but I say roughly because we can see from the OP how much it can vary. Ground beef, not so much.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Nice. At that price I would buy a meat grinder and making my own hamburger
For comparison's sake, what do you normally pay per pound for minced beef? Ours is roughly half the price of prime rib, but I say roughly because we can see from the OP how much it can vary. Ground beef, not so much.
Normal price for ground beef (good quality lean) is about $2.2 per pound. Cheap ground beef is about a 3rd of that.

SA has great meat for very reasonable prices. South Africans are big meat eaters, very few vegans here. There is a big demand for meat so it's cheaper here.

Cuts like Prime Rib are not very popular with local Africans so it's cheaper because of that too.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #15
Master Chef

I'm moving to SA, with that price of meat I'll be in haven, I do not like to eat anything but meat. But do you have potato?
Old 03-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Yes! I gotta have my potatoes, too!

Looks like out prices are proportionate anyway, Snip.

OK, carry on with your prime rib problem
Old 03-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #17
Master Chef

I think the point of Sherry's post is the huge difference in price between "Prime" and "Choice" grades of standing rib roasts. I too can't justify the cost difference in the grades, and around here the only time I can find a really good buy on what's now generically called "Prime Rib", and is actually "Choice", is with supermarket holiday sale prices. Other times of the year the cost of the same is outrageous.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:59 PM   #18
Sous Chef

I was craving meat and my husband went out and bought a 2 lb $50 prime rib. Wanted to kill him but he said I deserved it! And I do haha!

I seasoned it with salt and pepper, made a few slits in it and shoved garlic in them, seared it, then cooked it at 300 for 36 mins for rare.

At 26 min my meat thermometer said it was 140 of course it wasn't as since I got that thing everything I cook comes out raw and ruins all my food instead if making it perfect. So we put it back in the oven and threw out the $35 thermometer. I read the time in my grandmas 50 year old culinary arts institute encyclopedic cookbook. The author seems to know what she is talking about so I will stick to her times for a while and see if I want a new thermometer or not.

Anyway our prime rib was great! We have enough for leftovers for Tm dinner too. It's fun to treat yourself once in a while. But still did not satisfy my meat craving -- the baby seems to be insisting on a juicy hamburger...sigh. Maybe Sunday.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:15 AM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I'm moving to SA, with that price of meat I'll be in haven, I do not like to eat anything but meat. But do you have potato?
Yes, lots of potatoes and they're very cheap ! $9 for 22 pound bag at the moment, sometimes a bag is $4.50.

Meat, chicken, potatoes, bread, maize meal, peppers, cabbage, onions and tomatoes are all cheap because they are considered staples.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:22 AM   #20
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I think you are about to get a lot of new neighbors Snip!