Private Label/Store Brand Products

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And that would be why I buy whatever product tastes better. Some of my grocery items are always store brand while others are private. You never really know what you're buying anyway until you try it!

I used to work at a razor blade factory - we would put the exact same razor in different packs with different brands...the ONLY difference was the packaging but people would swear that the known name was better and lasted longer! Go figure.

i buy what tastes good. last week bought store brand crescent rolls. will not do that again. definitely not as good as the original. i shop at von's which is owned by safeway. i will check out a house brand item but will not continue to buy it, even to save money, if it doesn't work, or taste good.

interesting article , barb. thanks for the info.

There are only a few things that I won't buy the store brand, and there are some things where I prefer the store brand. The store brand equivalent of Velveeta is one of them. While some store brands of it are not very good, most are (I buy Food Lion's) and there is a LOT less sodium in the store brand. :cool: Home 360 (Food Lion brand) zippered food storage bags are as good as Ziploc, and Home 360 cat litter is the best I have found.

Last edited:
aww c'mon. that was the most middle of the road article i've ever read!

so it could be good, or it coukd be bad. :wacko:

the question it begs is quality in the battle on brand nsme versus store brand.

Home 360 (Food Lion brand) zippered food storage bags are as good as Ziploc, and Home 360 cat litter is the best I have found.

That's one of the few things we found that were no good at WalMart - the sandwich-sized zip top bags. Once you close them you almost have to rip them to get them back open. :mad:

aww c'mon. that was the most middle of the road article i've ever read!

so it could be good, or it coukd be bad. :wacko:

the question it begs is quality in the battle on brand nsme versus store brand.
LOL It isn't going to win a Pulitzer, but it was still interesting to me. I did learn something--I thought all the store brands were made by the name brand companies and just packaged for different stores, but the article showed me that there are some companies that make things just for store brand and private labels. :cool:

I agree about the quality--that is why I try different stores' brands and choose the ones I like. If none of the store/private label brands measure up I buy the name brand. :)

Back
Top Bottom