Products that have disappeared

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well they aren't at the corner market but the dots and the chick o sticks I have seen around, most often in specialty places like actual cady stores.

Am I wrong, or did Mt Dew have a different flavor.. kinda thicker.. when it was still
"Ya-Hoo! Mt Dew!" with the hillbilly on the bottle?

I miss Woody's Cook-in' Sauce, too.
And Fruit Float and that 1-2-3 layered "instant" dessert.
And those fizzy tablets you made "soda" from. Not very tasty, but fun.

The 5 & 10 Store.....AKA the "Dime" Store

Yep. Woolworth's and Kresge's. Both had a lunch counter right in the store with a uniformed waitress who wore a hat. I used to order a chocolate phosphate after school if I had some change.

JoeV

I don't know where you all are from, but I miss diners. I miss liver and onions with mashed potatoes and gravy, or turkey and dressing, or club sandwiches, or grilled cheese with tomato soup...or breakfast any time of the day. We have IHOP in my area, but it's just not the same.

How about a place that sells really good homefried potatoes?

Not so much disappeared, but some of the "New Flavors" really ruin things. i.e. Doritos!
img_712483_0_4867a22cca09cb1d9bb75e266afa3ada.gif
I can't stand all those fake tasting flavors out now. Gimme the originals!

One thing I really miss is Snapple Tru Root Beer.

I don't know where you all are from, but I miss diners. I miss liver and onions with mashed potatoes and gravy, or turkey and dressing, or club sandwiches, or grilled cheese with tomato soup...or breakfast any time of the day. We have IHOP in my area, but it's just not the same.

How about a place that sells really good homefried potatoes?

Toni where are YOU from that you don't have these?? I see and still go to many of these types of "diners" Even in California where I lived up until a year ago still had plenty of these estabishments!

Toni where are YOU from that you don't have these?? I see and still go to many of these types of "diners" Even in California where I lived up until a year ago still had plenty of these estabishments!

Move to Jersey. Diner Capiol of the UNIVERSE!

not only those foods that you mention have disappeared, but Nabisco used to make a very thin sugar cookie called Brown Edge Wafers. Can't find them anywher no matter to what part of the U.S. I travel. Has anyone seen them? :question:
:ermm: I think I may have seen the large tootsie roll candy at the Dollar Stores near movie theaters. :unsure:
I live in the northeastern U.S.

I sooo miss Ralston hot breakfast cereal. I loved it and it also made the yummiest muffins. Up until a few years ago I could buy it at Kroger. Now, the only place I've been able to find it is at The Vermont Country Store. I like the stuff but at the per box price, plus shipping and handling, I'll eat some other available hot cereal.

Another thing I miss is Good Seasons mix for blue cheese dressing. It came in a little envelope and you mixed it with oil, vinegar and water. It was okay as a dressing, but it was a main component in a recipe Buck and I loved for marinated mushrooms.

...1-2-3 layered "instant" dessert.
And those fizzy tablets you made "soda" from. Not very tasty, but fun.
I liked the 1-2-3 desserts too!

Fizzies were taken off the market because they had cyclamates in them. Then the government decided cyclamates were okay. I found Fizzies at Cracker Barrel a few months ago. They were pretty expensive. I think they had two flavors there.

:)Barbara

Actually, if you're willing to pay the price, most if not all of these "disappeared" items (including "Quisp" cereal) are still available. Just do an internet search. Food Network did a program on just this topic not too long ago, & it was amazing how many of these items are still in production for the "specialty" market.

For me, I miss "Liederkranz Cheese", a close cousin to Limburger, the most.

Actually, if you're willing to pay the price, most if not all of these "disappeared" items (including "Quisp" cereal) are still available. Just do an internet search. Food Network did a program on just this topic not too long ago, & it was amazing how many of these items are still in production for the "specialty" market.

For me, I miss "Liederkranz Cheese", a close cousin to Limburger, the most.

You might like Handkaese. If you give it a try, please let us know how you liked it.

Probably really "aging" myself here, does anyone remember the little candy "dots" that came affixed to the paper? They were all different colors, and whenever you ate one off the paper, a bit off the paper remained stuck to the underside of the candy! (Maybe the FDA got involved with that)

"Gold Rush" bubble gum? Gold gum "nuggets" in a little cloth sack with a drawstring

Chick-O-Stix

Russell-Stover "Fruit & Nut" Egg-Sold around Easter time, these were LARGE-you sliced them-about the diameter of a softball

And speaking of Easter, does anyone remember "Rubys" (or was it Rudys) Easter egg dye? It made the most beautiful easter eggs you've ever seen-I found some on ebay year before last, they wanted 20.00$ for the kit plus S&H !!!!

Card and party outlet has the gold gum neggets in the little cloth sack with a drawstring - I don't know if you have one near you.

Just recently I cannot find chocolate graham cracker sticks - either Nabisco and Keebler - can't remember - or chocolate graham crackers for that matter. I found Meijer brand graham crackers but not the other two
brands and none in the sticks - I use them for a sweet cream dip

Back
Top Bottom