"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-13-2018, 05:14 PM   #11
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 8,676
^ Agreed. And don't you just love the weak attempt at trying to make it sound appealing by referring to a box of canned food and dried beans as "Blue Apron-style"?
__________________

__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:25 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 21,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I agree. Just thinking about the astronomical costs involved in hiring the workers, building facilities to stage the food items, deliver them, etc. I can't imagine why anyone would think this is a good idea.
I'm guessing they have ideas for which companies this would be outsourced to.
__________________

__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:10 PM   #13
Cook
 
milford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Bedford, Oh
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post



P.s. I hope you would not actually throw away perfectly good food ....
If I can't use it, why should I keep it? I can't sell it to make up for the food I lost. I don't know if I can give it away, since its food stamps.
__________________


I didn't do it, and you can't prove it!
anonymous
milford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:15 PM   #14
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 8,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by milford View Post
If I can't use it, why should I keep it? I can't sell it to make up for the food I lost. I don't know if I can give it away, since its food stamps.
No one would know where it came from but you. You'd be able to give it away to someone if you wanted to - a friend, church, food bank....
__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:03 PM   #15
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 6,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I'm guessing they have ideas for which companies this would be outsourced to.
I'm not aware of any details having been shared with the public. Unless you're aware of something the rest of us aren't, then yes, you are guessing.
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:14 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 21,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I'm not aware of any details having been shared with the public. Unless you're aware of something the rest of us aren't, then yes, you are guessing.
Well yeah. That's what I said
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:14 PM   #17
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,328
In my opinion the program would result in tremendous waste.

It sounds like a step backwards to the days when the government provided surplus food to people in need.

If a new system is needed then I think that they should look at allowing SNAP recipients to order groceries online for home delivery.

I also think that some consideration should be given to allowing people to use SNAP benefits to purchase items in restaurants. For many single people living in urban areas it would be cheaper and possibly healthier if they were allowed to get meals from local fast food franchises than it is for them to find quality food in corner stores.

I would like to see more programming that teaches people how to budget, shop, and prepare healthy meals on a tight budget, sort of a government sponsored food network.
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:33 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 21,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I would like to see more programming that teaches people how to budget, shop, and prepare healthy meals on a tight budget, sort of a government sponsored food network.
As part of the Master Food Volunteer program, last year I attended a training on working with WIC recipients, in grocery stores, on how to shop and prepare foods permitted under the program. They were to be provided with recipes and a voucher for groceries for attending the training. Unfortunately, funding was discontinued.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:53 PM   #19
Executive Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 4,022
Milford, I don't see this idea getting anywhere. I don't see either political party embracing this proposal as a reasonable alternative to the status quo.

The idea behind the proposal was that somehow SNAP was being widely used to commit fraud, and this package program would fix that. But, SNAP actually works pretty well as it is. Based on CBO data, fraud is not a significant issue, so the new proposal is a solution in search of a problem.

I wouldn't get to worried about it.

CD
__________________
I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell -- Richard Feynman
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:47 PM   #20
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston and Cape Cod
Posts: 9,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Milford, I don't see this idea getting anywhere. I don't see either political party embracing this proposal as a reasonable alternative to the status quo.

The idea behind the proposal was that somehow SNAP was being widely used to commit fraud, and this package program would fix that. But, SNAP actually works pretty well as it is. Based on CBO data, fraud is not a significant issue, so the new proposal is a solution in search of a problem.

I wouldn't get to worried about it.

CD

I think its also perhaps an attempt to address the food desert issue ....
__________________

__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.