"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2018, 10:00 AM   #1
Cook

Proposed SNAP Changes

White House wants to deliver food to the poor, Blue Apron-style | fox8.com

I'm on food stamps and have diabetes. According to this news, i'll be throwing the juice, canned fruit, grains, pasta, and cereal in the garbage. How is this supposed to help me? And with the current trend of packages being stolen from porches, what happens when a delivery gets stolen? What happens if it never arrives? Are they going to replace it?

I didn't do it, and you can't prove it!
anonymous
milford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:30 AM   #2
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Moderator hat on: This is an important topic but Discuss Cooking has a no politics rule. So... proceed carefully here. Discuss the current program, possible program changes, discuss the legislative process, impacts change might have, costs, etc BUT please keep direct political statements out of this, this includes statements like :

Obama care
Cheeto
Wall building
Russia
Commentary regarding a politicians veracity or morality or that of another DC member.

Stay on topic please - it's an important one.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:36 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Milford, this is just a proposal at this point and there is some pretty significant opposition. I think it's unlikely the lobbyists who will write the ultimate legislation will let this happen

Also, as they start discussing this, they will quickly find that it's going to be a logistical nightmare to account for people's different dietary restrictions and needs.

Quote:
But the proposal drew swift opposition from many fronts including the $840 billion supermarket industry, where food stamps drive 7.5 percent of sales, according to Customer Growth Partners. The firm estimated that Walmart alone reaps more than one-fifth of all food stamp sales.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/13/whit...od-stamps.html
Old 02-13-2018, 11:45 AM   #4
Cook

If it was just a proposal, it should never have been printed. News should be fact. Not fantasy. I saw that article and I almost cried. I need low carb, low sodium food to control my diabetes. Canned meat???? Do you know how much sodium is in a can of Spam? And I didn't read anywhere about tailoring each carton to 16 million individuals on food stamps. Nor did it mention a decent variety each month. The nightmare is endless.

I didn't do it, and you can't prove it!
anonymous
milford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:37 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

That's how the process works. The White House proposes a budget for next year and then Congress debates it, makes changes and passes legislation. Then the president can either sign it or veto and they work on it some more.

So the proposal is news. It identifies the president's priorities. People can then decide whether or not they agree and vote accordingly.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:41 PM   #6
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
That's how the process works. The White House proposes a budget for next year and then Congress debates it, makes changes and passes legislation. Then the president can either sign it or veto and they work on it some more.

So the proposal is news. It identifies the president's priorities.
A nice thing about this process (proposal, debate, vote) is that it gives regular folks the opportunity to contact their elected representatives and let them know what you think. Input is important as often the direct impact of legislation may not be fully understood by the folks doing the voting.

Here's a link to help you get find who your representatives are so you can let them know what you think. https://www.house.gov/representative...representative
Old 02-13-2018, 01:19 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by milford View Post
If it was just a proposal, it should never have been printed. News should be fact. Not fantasy. I saw that article and I almost cried. I need low carb, low sodium food to control my diabetes. Canned meat???? Do you know how much sodium is in a can of Spam? And I didn't read anywhere about tailoring each carton to 16 million individuals on food stamps. Nor did it mention a decent variety each month. The nightmare is endless.

The link you posted clearly stated that it was just a proposal

“WASHINGTON — Think of it as Blue Apron for food stamp recipients.

That’s how Budget Director Mick Mulvaney described the Trump administration’s proposal to replace nearly half of poor Americans’ monthly cash benefits with a box of food. It would affect households that receive at least $90 a month in food stamps, or roughly 38 million people.”

P.s. I hope you would not actually throw away perfectly good food ....
Old 02-13-2018, 02:42 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Having worked for a local company that delivered meal kits, what a logistic nightmare. And costly re delivery, etc. Bad idea, IMO.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:45 PM   #9
Master Chef

i sure hope it doesn't happen. {moderator edit} i doubt they are going to ask now.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:56 PM   #10
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Having worked for a local company that delivered meal kits, what a logistic nightmare. And costly re delivery, etc. Bad idea, IMO.
I agree. Just thinking about the astronomical costs involved in hiring the workers, building facilities to stage the food items, deliver them, etc. I can't imagine why anyone would think this is a good idea.

Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote