Pull Tab or Pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
I would like to know if any of you feel the same way I do about having no choice but to purchase something w/pull tab or pump? Campbells which normally had to be opened w/can opener now have pull tab. I fear that I won't be able to pull the top completely open to get the soup out. Much safer with can opener. Also many of the lotions and other things have a pump. When they ask me if I want paper or plastic in the store, they give me a choice. Why can't this be offered regarding the products I buy? Many times the pump gets clogged or doesn't work and I have to remove the top anyway in order to make use of the liquid still left. I really don't like how they are forcing us to buy a car w/power windows and using a pump or tab top to get things open. I feel people are too sedentary in their ways already much less have things we don't have to really make effort to use. Everytime I use one I sure wish I had other choice. I am not 'set' in my ways just observing a fact that they are not helping but hindering. This, of course, is only my personal opinion. How do you feel?

I "don't" like the pull tab on Campbell soup. I liked the can opener type. We recycle everything here in town and I have been cut many times on the sharp edges of the rim while trying to clean the can,( believe me I am being careful ).:mad:

Last edited:
the pull tops are not good for many seniors or persons with limited hand mobility/strength. If one drops to a hard floor, there is more chance for compromise fo the seal. I prefer regular cans.

Do not car for pumps which often leak, and as you say, are hard to get the last portions from. I hate such waste. THe squeeze cap was good and generally worked without much problem or waste. Oh, my bad, you have to pick the bottle up to use it! Both should be available.

Don't care for the pull tab opening cans either. I have carpal tunnel and arthritis in my right hand and opening one of those cans can be a real bear and very painful. I also agree with JoAnn L about trying to get everything out of the can without getting cut. The sharp edge also plays havoc with my rubber scrapers. I go out of my way not to buy cans with these tops. I'll buy the house brand of a soup without one just avoid the Campbell's one.

I don't especially like the pump top containers either. They clog and get messy. The pull tops worked almost ALL the time. Can't say that for the pump tops.

For those that have a problem with the pull tops, you may want to try something like this. I know they sell them in BB&B as well as online. Just do a search on Froogle for pull top opener.

I agree, the pull tops are the pits! But, you can use a can opener on them. I do..Both my hands are always so sore that at times its' hard to pick up the kids,my problem is caused from years of capping and uncapping med vials when we fill them at the pharmacy..So pull tops and those plastic ring pulls like on mocha mix are nerve wracking for me...Just use your electric can opener on the Campbell soups, making sure the tab is flat.

kadesma:)

Not Alone

I am sorry to say that misery loves company. That is main reason I wrote the topic here is to see way others feel. Just bothers me that everything is getting changed. I really do remember when we had tv without remote. Now they don't even know how to change channels w/o the remote. Same way goes for power windows. Don't you think that your muscles develop when you apply effort? Now we have to go to the gym to make sure we don't lose what we have. I truly feel the companies think they are improving conditions but every chance I get I voice my opinion. Bet they all know my name. Some never answer that is the worse ones that I don't buy when I go to the store. If they can't respond and explain reason I won't buy it again. Waiting to see what Aveeno tells me about body wash! There are always others available w/o any kind of pump.

I basically like opening all my canned goods with an electric can opener and I do not the self opening types.

Apparently the new trend is to do away with can openers and I don't think there is anything we can do about it.

One thing someone did right is, the new jar from Miracle Whip. It is square on top and so much easier to get to the bottom without getting it all over your hand. Yeah!

:) Wow!I must be the only one who likes the pull tab.I have carpal tunnel also but think the tab is easier than turning the can opener.[i dont have the electric can opener}

I don't mind the pull tabs. I rather like them on the cans of heat'n'eat stuff like ravioli and chunky soups. I can take them or leave them on the cream of soups I use in recipes. I like pumps on my hand soaps and lotions. Habit from working in the hospital!

I think that a lot of tops -- pumps and sprays -- are specifically designed so that you have to throw away the last couple of ounces of cleaning products. I find the pull tabs on soups and other goods a nice convenience. Out of curiousity (never tried it), can't you still use a can opener on them if you are a person who really wants to use a can opener?

By the way, although it is not really connected, I hope you all know that when you order your prescriptions, you can tell your pharmacist that there are no children in your home and you want arthritis-friendly packaging for your prescriptions. Ditto your vet for your best friends' prescriptions.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom