"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-27-2007, 10:43 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Pull Tab or Pump

I would like to know if any of you feel the same way I do about having no choice but to purchase something w/pull tab or pump? Campbells which normally had to be opened w/can opener now have pull tab. I fear that I won't be able to pull the top completely open to get the soup out. Much safer with can opener. Also many of the lotions and other things have a pump. When they ask me if I want paper or plastic in the store, they give me a choice. Why can't this be offered regarding the products I buy? Many times the pump gets clogged or doesn't work and I have to remove the top anyway in order to make use of the liquid still left. I really don't like how they are forcing us to buy a car w/power windows and using a pump or tab top to get things open. I feel people are too sedentary in their ways already much less have things we don't have to really make effort to use. Everytime I use one I sure wish I had other choice. I am not 'set' in my ways just observing a fact that they are not helping but hindering. This, of course, is only my personal opinion. How do you feel?

Old 02-27-2007, 11:00 AM   #2
Master Chef

I "don't" like the pull tab on Campbell soup. I liked the can opener type. We recycle everything here in town and I have been cut many times on the sharp edges of the rim while trying to clean the can,( believe me I am being careful ).

Old 02-27-2007, 11:23 AM   #3
Executive Chef

the pull tops are not good for many seniors or persons with limited hand mobility/strength. If one drops to a hard floor, there is more chance for compromise fo the seal. I prefer regular cans.

Do not car for pumps which often leak, and as you say, are hard to get the last portions from. I hate such waste. THe squeeze cap was good and generally worked without much problem or waste. Oh, my bad, you have to pick the bottle up to use it! Both should be available.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:26 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Don't care for the pull tab opening cans either. I have carpal tunnel and arthritis in my right hand and opening one of those cans can be a real bear and very painful. I also agree with JoAnn L about trying to get everything out of the can without getting cut. The sharp edge also plays havoc with my rubber scrapers. I go out of my way not to buy cans with these tops. I'll buy the house brand of a soup without one just avoid the Campbell's one.

I don't especially like the pump top containers either. They clog and get messy. The pull tops worked almost ALL the time. Can't say that for the pump tops.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:19 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

For those that have a problem with the pull tops, you may want to try something like this. I know they sell them in BB&B as well as online. Just do a search on Froogle for pull top opener.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:23 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I agree, the pull tops are the pits! But, you can use a can opener on them. I do..Both my hands are always so sore that at times its' hard to pick up the kids,my problem is caused from years of capping and uncapping med vials when we fill them at the pharmacy..So pull tops and those plastic ring pulls like on mocha mix are nerve wracking for me...Just use your electric can opener on the Campbell soups, making sure the tab is flat.

kadesma
Old 02-27-2007, 03:56 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Not Alone

I am sorry to say that misery loves company. That is main reason I wrote the topic here is to see way others feel. Just bothers me that everything is getting changed. I really do remember when we had tv without remote. Now they don't even know how to change channels w/o the remote. Same way goes for power windows. Don't you think that your muscles develop when you apply effort? Now we have to go to the gym to make sure we don't lose what we have. I truly feel the companies think they are improving conditions but every chance I get I voice my opinion. Bet they all know my name. Some never answer that is the worse ones that I don't buy when I go to the store. If they can't respond and explain reason I won't buy it again. Waiting to see what Aveeno tells me about body wash! There are always others available w/o any kind of pump.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:17 PM   #8
Head Chef

I basically like opening all my canned goods with an electric can opener and I do not the self opening types.

Apparently the new trend is to do away with can openers and I don't think there is anything we can do about it.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:46 PM   #9
Executive Chef

And they wreak havoc on my manicure!!!
Old 03-02-2007, 07:35 PM   #10
Master Chef

One thing someone did right is, the new jar from Miracle Whip. It is square on top and so much easier to get to the bottom without getting it all over your hand. Yeah!