"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-03-2011, 01:02 AM   #1
Master Chef

Puppy lust

Do any of you suffer from puppy/kitty lust between pets? Do you jump right into your next pet? right now we lost ourlast puppy dog (oh, give me a break; seriously she was geriatric and had taken a long walk and given us much grief, which some of you might remember). WE've been pet-free for well over a year, and we both look at little doggies and are longing for another. The thing is, since we moved here I have NOT been able to find someone to care for my doggies, so am not willing to get another until we see the last state I have never set foot in ... that is to say, Michigan. I'm not much of a believer in "meant to be", I don't believe that in most things, but I do believe that your perfect pet finds you. I just don't want her to find me before I get to see Michigan.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:13 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Claire, you have found my true "sweet spot" (ok, OTHER than butter - LOL)...the sandman is calling my name, but, since it is so hard to lose myself on the forum still(too many subforums that I am lost still) I just HAVE to post just so that I can make sure that I can find it again to add to later.
I thiink that the best "cure" for puppy lust though, is to actually GET one! Pups are things that I now enjoy from pics! I lost near my past year over to training, so, I have a healthy respect for how "cute" translates over to "he!l" in a nanosecond!

Old 01-03-2011, 09:33 AM   #3
Head Chef

I have 3 dogs -- no more til at least 2 of them bite the dust. I love all of them, but three is too many. I don't have enough hands to pet all of them at once!

And I don't really have 'puppy' lust. Puppies ( and kittens) are so much work to civilize. I think the next dog will be at least a year old.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:15 PM   #4
Cook

This subject is near and dear to my heart. Our beloved little girl died a year ago. We really want another puppy but we have decided not to as we travel a lot for long periods of time so it would not be fair. But each time the SPCA has an ad in the newspaper my eyes start misting. Dogs are indescribable. As is my passion for them (all animals but especially dogs).
Old 01-03-2011, 04:56 PM   #5
Master Chef

Oh boy, I think about this a lot. I've shared my whole life with all sorts of dogs, and this is the longest I've ever been without one. I've loved each one of them, but my last dog was the perfect dog. I see you rolling your eyes, but she really was. She died just days after my husband of 42 years, and I thought I was going down for the count.
Sometimes I "ache" for another dog, but my new husband and I are traveling so much it's just not practical yet.
My oldest son and his family just got a new Maltese puppy, and I'm lusting over that little darling.
Here's a picture of my beloved Contessa...the perfect "dog".

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Pretty Maltese
Old 01-03-2011, 05:27 PM   #7
Master Chef

Thanks Pacanis. Not only was she pretty, but not the least bit snooty or yappy like many small beauties. She was my only small dog, but she had the heart of a Lab. and that's saying lots. Whata girl she was.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:18 AM   #8
Master Chef

Oh, small dogs are often branded as being "yappy" because some people, usually men (not kidding) feel free to tease and bait small dogs when they wouldn't, for example tease and bait, say a 150+ pound dog. My husband cracks me up. He didn't have a dog, his entire life, until I bought him a little terrier mix. At her full weight she was 12 pounds. Now husband says that the men we know who "need" a big dog have inversely masculinity problems. So we're not looking for a large dog. He happens to like short-hairs, and ours were Jack Russell mutts. I'm trying to hold out for another year, but if the right doggie comes to my door ......
Old 01-04-2011, 06:23 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Another reason small dogs are often branded as yappy is because they have owners who let them bark and carry on at people because they think it's cute a small dog acting tough. "Most" people that own larger dogs don't let them get worked up like that, but there are bad owners with any dog.