"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-23-2009, 11:45 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Question about body fat?

I have a question about the dreaded body fat.

Ok last feburay I weighed about 232 pounds, but when I started college and started to take my health seriously I lost 32 pounds and I weigh about 199 now, However I still have the bear gut and I don't know how to get rid of it besides a drastic diet change and real experience.

Let's see I use healthier substitutes in my cooking now and I only eat once a day pretty much in the morning.

I use unsalted butter, I use kosher salt, I use organic foods, I,e tomatoes, tomoteos, I've started eating veggies that I have never ate before "only grilled" and in stews.

Anyways my question to everyone here, How can I get my stumic flat with out any exercise? or hardly little exercise specially with my hectic schedule

Thank you,

Derek.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:26 AM   #2
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chile Chef View Post
Anyways my question to everyone here, How can I get my stumic flat with out any exercise? or hardly little exercise specially with my hectic schedule
You cannot leave excerise out of the equation, regardless of your hectic schedule. You can always make time. Diet alone won't cut it.
I work over 70 hours a week, cook 4 nights each week for the family, and still manage to run or hike at least three times per week and cycle at least 50 miles per week. You need to get that heart muscle of yours pumping close to max for several minutes, several times each week.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:55 AM   #3
Executive Chef

You can always opt for stairs over escalators or elevators and walk somewhere local instead of driving/public transport. Or if you are really, really time-poor, get a push bike or a scooter. Push ups/sit ups are something you can do before you go to bed.

Try to eat more meals a day but keep them small. Breakfast is good but try to have a piece of fruit at lunchtime if you are short of time. And even a bowl of soup for dinner. Neither is a heavy option, both can be very cheap if money is an issue, and both give your body something to process, so it doesn't feed off it self (so to speak).

Don't just look at the types of food that goes into your body but also the quantity and your fluids. Things that you may not think about can be laden with sugars, salts (which will make you thirsty) and fats. Fats can be good too so look at the types of fats you are eating.

Also remember that with weight loss, it is normal to plateau part way through. If you are/were large, weight also will often seem to fly off once it gets started without you seeming to have to do much. When you have to work at it, that's when you need to find some greater motivation than you have had before.

There is a lot more to healthy eating than buying organic or getting more vegies into your system. Start with keeping a food diary and include EVERYTHING you ingest - food and drink. And list the quantities. You will see yourself where you can make changes to your lifestyle.

Good luck. Losing weight is not an easy battle.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:56 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilby View Post
There is a lot more to healthy eating than buying organic or getting more vegies into your system. Start with keeping a food diary and include EVERYTHING you ingest - food and drink. And list the quantities. You will see yourself where you can make changes to your lifestyle.

I do this and it not only makes you mindful of what you eat and how many calories you are ingesting, but it also adds a subtle bit of accountability. I do eat less junk when I'm tracking because I know I'd have to write it down. There is software and on-line tools to help you and they provide amazingly detailed information.

With regard to exercise, I don't believe that sustained weight loss will occur, for most people, unless you exercise regularly.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:08 PM   #5
Head Chef

Take a physical education class for college credit. Many offer weight conditioning or other healthy/exercise classes that one can take for credit, and use the gym. I took Pilates while in school last year. It makes exercise part of your schedule instead of "in addition." and credits will count towards your degree. You may also find an activity you can enjoy the rest of your life. My husband took rock climbing in college, he's on a major trip into the mountains now as I write this, 30 years after taking the course.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:18 PM   #6
Head Chef

First, congrats on your weight loss! I KNOW how hard that is.

As for flattening your belly, there is simply NO WAY other than exercise. It's not just fat that gives us beer bellies, it's mostly a matter of muscle tone.

Dump your motor scooter and get a bicycle. That will do the trick if you ride it a lot, and it will speed up your fat loss and build muscle at the same time.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:56 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
You cannot leave excerise out of the equation, regardless of your hectic schedule. You can always make time. Diet alone won't cut it.
I work over 70 hours a week, cook 4 nights each week for the family, and still manage to run or hike at least three times per week and cycle at least 50 miles per week. You need to get that heart muscle of yours pumping close to max for several minutes, several times each week.
So the 3 flights of stairs don't count? I climb them 3 day's a week, that's how I lost most of my weight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilby View Post
You can always opt for stairs over escalators or elevators and walk somewhere local instead of driving/public transport. Or if you are really, really time-poor, get a push bike or a scooter. Push ups/sit ups are something you can do before you go to bed.

Try to eat more meals a day but keep them small. Breakfast is good but try to have a piece of fruit at lunchtime if you are short of time. And even a bowl of soup for dinner. Neither is a heavy option, both can be very cheap if money is an issue, and both give your body something to process, so it doesn't feed off it self (so to speak).

Don't just look at the types of food that goes into your body but also the quantity and your fluids. Things that you may not think about can be laden with sugars, salts (which will make you thirsty) and fats. Fats can be good too so look at the types of fats you are eating.

Also remember that with weight loss, it is normal to plateau part way through. If you are/were large, weight also will often seem to fly off once it gets started without you seeming to have to do much. When you have to work at it, that's when you need to find some greater motivation than you have had before.

Thank you mate, Maybe I should stop going to burger king twice a week? and that will help my stomic drop some weight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyapti View Post
I do this and it not only makes you mindful of what you eat and how many calories you are ingesting, but it also adds a subtle bit of accountability. I do eat less junk when I'm tracking because I know I'd have to write it down. There is software and on-line tools to help you and they provide amazingly detailed information.

With regard to exercise, I don't believe that sustained weight loss will occur, for most people, unless you exercise regularly.
Thank you VY, I really want to keep eating the food I like to eat with out loosing the taste I love, but I am now eating fish once a week that's packed with omega's 3's, I've also stopped eating out except for burger king and like I said to the above poster, I really should stop eating there too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
Take a physical education class for college credit. Many offer weight conditioning or other healthy/exercise classes that one can take for credit, and use the gym. I took Pilates while in school last year. It makes exercise part of your schedule instead of "in addition." and credits will count towards your degree. You may also find an activity you can enjoy the rest of your life. My husband took rock climbing in college, he's on a major trip into the mountains now as I write this, 30 years after taking the course.
This is why I am getting heathier Wyogal, I want to get healthy enough for back packing and camping, I'm not talking about pulling up the ol rv/trailer to an eletric site plug in for the nite, I'm talking about hiking to your spot you want, make a leantube, set up fire then go hunting for your food, after you got your food take your camera and goo photo op hunting. But your post to me I've always had in the back of my mind after this coming winter.

How does your husban like it? And how come you didn't go with him if I may ask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
First, congrats on your weight loss! I KNOW how hard that is.

As for flattening your belly, there is simply NO WAY other than exercise. It's not just fat that gives us beer bellies, it's mostly a matter of muscle tone.

Dump your motor scooter and get a bicycle. That will do the trick if you ride it a lot, and it will speed up your fat loss and build muscle at the same time.
Thank you Scotch, Exersize is the hardest thing I ever had to do.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:03 PM   #8
Head Chef

It's an 85 mile tip, the length of the Wind River Mts. He DOES NOT hunt or build fires up there. They pack all of their food, has developed ways of doing it the last 30 years. Dries his own meat, puts together high calorie/lightweight foods. He DOES NOT build a lean-to, they bring their own tents. They pack everything out, (except personal waste which they bury). They leave only footprints behind.
He does this with his brother and their sons. I have no desire to strap 70 pounds on my back and walk across the mountains.
Does your college offer conditioning classes? Weight training? Hiking? Climbing?

Old 07-24-2009, 02:30 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
It's an 85 mile tip, the length of the Wind River Mts. He DOES NOT hunt or build fires up there. They pack all of their food, has developed ways of doing it the last 30 years. Dries his own meat, puts together high calorie/lightweight foods. He DOES NOT build a lean-to, they bring their own tents. They pack everything out, (except personal waste which they bury). They leave only footprints behind.
He does this with his brother and their sons. I have no desire to strap 70 pounds on my back and walk across the mountains.
Does your college offer conditioning classes? Weight training? Hiking? Climbing?
They do, not the one in Florida, but the one I am currently attending they offer swimming, sking, rock climbing, caving, back packing, river fishing, and a lot more I can't think of right now.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:34 PM   #10
Head Chef

Then I would suggest that you take a class, incorporate exercise into your lifestyle.