Question about breast cancer awareness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's why I walk every year at Relay For Life, it takes donations and fundraises for all cancers, not just breast cancer. My Mom and I both have breast and ovarian cancer, Shrek has bladder cancer, my DIL died of lymphoma.

My mum had bowel, liver and eventually lung cancer.

My dad had prostate cancer (though that was not his cause of death).

I tend to agree that fundraising should be for all cancer research.

It is interesting to see how huge the "pink" campaign has become though. It must have some pretty high profile backers.

I support Cancer Research UK. It raises funds for research into all cancers.

Last edited:
Many companies here in the states donate to Susan G. Koman. I donate to Save the Ta-Tas, Relay, Women's Heart Health and the American Diabetes Association. I only fundraise for Relay.

I'm not sure but I think a cancer cure won't be universal. A cure that works for one type may not be effective on other types.

I'm not sure but I think a cancer cure won't be universal. A cure that works for one type may not be effective on other types.

Hence my earlier post about scientists focussing on specific cancers and getting results in those areas.

I guess the issue is whether enough funding is being funnelled through to all cancer research.

What we need is progress in finding cures for all cancers, not just the "high profile" ones.

It would be sad (but perhaps not surprising) to find that "fashionable" cancers are attracting research funding, and even maybe more experts, than the "unfashionable" ones.

There for a while I thought the pink ribbon had become universal and was representing all cancers it is so high profile. And maybe in a way it is.

There for a while I thought the pink ribbon had become universal and was representing all cancers it is so high profile. And maybe in a way it is.

That's true Pac.

Very interesting topic you raised. Though I think we ended up with more questions than answers!

Well GG answered my original question right off the bat anyway.

I used to work at a medical school that did research into breast and prostate cancers, primarily. They're working on developing a blood test that can detect proteins associated with different cancers. They're also working on developing a blood test to differentiate fast-growing from slow-growing prostate cancers. Prostate cancer usually is slow-growing and usually affects older men, like in their 60s and 70s, and usually they die of something else. So surgery may not be the best option, since that has its own side effects.

Andy is right - different cancers need different treatments. The problem with chemotherapy is that it's a general treatment - it attacks all kinds of growing cells, which is why it causes such severe side effects.

I don't really think it's about "fashionable" cancers. I think some attract more dedicated advocates than others. As Dawg said, losing one or two breasts can have a devastating effect on a woman's self-esteem. I have even heard of women whose boyfriends or husbands left them because they couldn't deal with the reality of a partner without a breast and with a scar. Putting aside side effects like baldness and thinness, most other cancers don't leave such visible reminders.

Last edited:
Good points made.

My SIL is a breast cancer surgeon and heads the breast health center at one of America's foremost teaching hospitals, so I do no begrudge the focus in breast cancer. Also, knowing so many friends that have and are suffering ...

But I agree that cancer is cancer. Let's fight it all.

Mamma and Papa require me to give some of the money I earn to causes such as these. I have chosen these: breast cancer, ovarian cancer, prostate cancer, leukemia and the Humane Society.

When I become more successful, I shall expand of this list.

With love,
~Cat

The Susan G. Komen organization was a good idea that morphed into a slushfund for its founder. Nancy Brinker and her group got to the point that the purpose of the organization was to raise money. I had read a descriptive tale from one woman who did the walk every year, raised untold amounts of donations...but when SHE needed assistance when she developed breast cancer she could never get in touch with them. Can't find it even though I spent the last 15 minutes looking.

I did find this article that really rips on the organization and their pinkification of the world. Warning: It's a very angry article filled with lots of "fingers-in-the-ears" kinds of words. The writer takes no prisoners in his rant. If you're interested, you can find the article here: The Susan G. Komen Foundation: Why It Sucks Also, if you google "Susan G. Komen scams" you get a ton of links. One of the links took you to a page with...more links!

Moral of the story? Investigate any fundraising group to see exactly what they do with that money.

If you want to support any kind of medical research, I would suggest donating to a medical school that actually does the research. Donation money in institutions like this are held and spent separately from administrative expenses, like advertising and salaries.

Cancer Research uk does not fund research for all cancers equally though . The biggest killer in the UK is Lung Cancer , it is on the rise too amongst young women I particular , it kills more than breast and ovarian cancer yet gets the least amount of funding.

Cancer Research uk does not fund research for all cancers equally though . The biggest killer in the UK is Lung Cancer , it is on the rise too amongst young women I particular , it kills more than breast and ovarian cancer yet gets the least amount of funding.

I wonder why that is?

If you want to support any kind of medical research, I would suggest donating to a medical school that actually does the research. Donation money in institutions like this are held and spent separately from administrative expenses, like advertising and salaries.
That's a great idea. I suspect less of the money will go towards fund raising expenses and other administrative expenses that go with being a charity.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom