"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #21
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
That's why I walk every year at Relay For Life, it takes donations and fundraises for all cancers, not just breast cancer. My Mom and I both have breast and ovarian cancer, Shrek has bladder cancer, my DIL died of lymphoma.
My mum had bowel, liver and eventually lung cancer.

My dad had prostate cancer (though that was not his cause of death).

I tend to agree that fundraising should be for all cancer research.

It is interesting to see how huge the "pink" campaign has become though. It must have some pretty high profile backers.

I support Cancer Research UK. It raises funds for research into all cancers.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #22
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Many companies here in the states donate to Susan G. Koman. I donate to Save the Ta-Tas, Relay, Women's Heart Health and the American Diabetes Association. I only fundraise for Relay.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef

I'm not sure but I think a cancer cure won't be universal. A cure that works for one type may not be effective on other types.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #24
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I'm not sure but I think a cancer cure won't be universal. A cure that works for one type may not be effective on other types.
Hence my earlier post about scientists focussing on specific cancers and getting results in those areas.

I guess the issue is whether enough funding is being funnelled through to all cancer research.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:47 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

That is the question
Old 10-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #26
Head Chef

What we need is progress in finding cures for all cancers, not just the "high profile" ones.

It would be sad (but perhaps not surprising) to find that "fashionable" cancers are attracting research funding, and even maybe more experts, than the "unfashionable" ones.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

There for a while I thought the pink ribbon had become universal and was representing all cancers it is so high profile. And maybe in a way it is.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #28
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
There for a while I thought the pink ribbon had become universal and was representing all cancers it is so high profile. And maybe in a way it is.
That's true Pac.

Very interesting topic you raised. Though I think we ended up with more questions than answers!
Old 10-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Well GG answered my original question right off the bat anyway.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:01 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

I used to work at a medical school that did research into breast and prostate cancers, primarily. They're working on developing a blood test that can detect proteins associated with different cancers. They're also working on developing a blood test to differentiate fast-growing from slow-growing prostate cancers. Prostate cancer usually is slow-growing and usually affects older men, like in their 60s and 70s, and usually they die of something else. So surgery may not be the best option, since that has its own side effects.

Andy is right - different cancers need different treatments. The problem with chemotherapy is that it's a general treatment - it attacks all kinds of growing cells, which is why it causes such severe side effects.

I don't really think it's about "fashionable" cancers. I think some attract more dedicated advocates than others. As Dawg said, losing one or two breasts can have a devastating effect on a woman's self-esteem. I have even heard of women whose boyfriends or husbands left them because they couldn't deal with the reality of a partner without a breast and with a scar. Putting aside side effects like baldness and thinness, most other cancers don't leave such visible reminders.