Question about breast cancer awareness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder why that is?

It's because Lung Cancer is erroneously thought to be only caused by smokers and the public is reluctant to fund cancer research into something patients have brought upon themselves. So those who have been exposed to secondhand smoke and/or have lung cancer caused by other factors are tarred with the same brush.

That's a great idea. I suspect less of the money will go towards fund raising expenses and other administrative expenses that go with being a charity.

I used to work at a medical school; donors could donate to specific research efforts, or to a general fund where it would be used "where needed most," so the school could decide.

CG, that sounds like the Humane Society of the US.
Is that the group with late-night commercials, playing "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" and showing sad puppy faces? Then they ask me for $19 a month? Um, for $19 a month I could head to the town kitty shelter, pick up a new companion, and spend less than $19 a month for kitty's upkeep!

Is that the group with late-night commercials, playing "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" and showing sad puppy faces? Then they ask me for $19 a month? Um, for $19 a month I could head to the town kitty shelter, pick up a new companion, and spend less than $19 a month for kitty's upkeep!

I don't even know.
When those commercials come on I change the channel.
I have no time for sensationalized commercials or pics of dogs shaking from being so afraid while a camera is thrust in their face to make a commercial :mad:
I think there are two organizations now.
All I know is HSUS is more of a lobby group now and very little money goes towards the pets. They don't even rescue pets themselves anymore and have no ties (or help in any way) the local humane societies. And they are way too tight with PETA for my liking.

It's because Lung Cancer is erroneously thought to be only caused by smokers and the public is reluctant to fund cancer research into something patients have brought upon themselves. So those who have been exposed to secondhand smoke and/or have lung cancer caused by other factors are tarred with the same brush.

PF, I was actually asking why lung cancer is the biggest killer in the UK. I understand that it is considered to be caused not only by smoking but by other environmental conditions, and wondered what those conditions were in the UK.

It's the biggest killer in the United States too and I suspect the link, or most common cause is smoking .

It also gets the least funding there too probably for the same reason as here, as it's seen as preventable ie don't smoke . You can get it if you don't smoke too but the highest majority of cases are in smokers . We introduced laws against smoking in work places because of passive smoking which also kills .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom