Question about breast cancer awareness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
It seems like just yesterday the NFL's players were wearing pink gear, and ribbons, and the announcers had pink ties on, and ribbons, and the cheerleaders were dressed in pink outfits... and today I noticed a special commemorative type football with a pink ribbon on it. It is breast cancer awareness month I heard.
When did this happen and why? When did breast cancer become "the"
cancer? What about just cancer awareness? How about prostrate cancer, does it have its own month and color? Not that I'm aware of.
It's almost like a well worn fad this pink thing. I'm all for cancer awareness. I'm just trying to figure out how breast cancer became the mainstay that it is. At least in relation to other cancers.

Skin, lung, and prostate cancer are the top 3, followed by breast and colon.

I think breasts kind of define a woman, and when they cut them out, she may no longer feel like a woman. The chemo hair loss would also contribute to the loss of identity.

Prostate cancer is almost inevitable in all men, and usually is not fatal for a long time. (Exception, Frank Zappa)

Last edited:
Dawg, for all the things I mentioned I assumed that breast cancer was #1. I thought maybe that's why, it/the awareness, was so mainstream and in your face (for lack of a better term).

:LOL: Probably best to not wave your prostate in someone's face...

That was interesting. Obviously you would think with such a widespread pink movement they would make sure they are using carcinogen free products to help promote it, but it's not like the ribbons are worn against your skin either. Still...

I have no issue with breast cancer (or any other disease) awareness. If there is enough focus on the problem, it will be fixed. However, if my memory serves me, more women die from heart disease than the next 17 diseases combined. I think that would be a good area to focus on.

That was interesting. Obviously you would think with such a widespread pink movement they would make sure they are using carcinogen free products to help promote it, but it's not like the ribbons are worn against your skin either. Still...

It seems to imply that many companies are jumping on the "pink" bandwagon, regardless of the fact that they are making products that are potentially carcinogenic. Quite the contradiction!

It seems to imply that many companies are jumping on the "pink" bandwagon, regardless of the fact that they are making products that are potentially carcinogenic. Quite the contradiction!

It's "innocence, " if you will, by association. They hope the goodwill of being seen as promoting a cure for breast cancer rubs off on them.

Oh, I'm with you now. I skimmed that too fast.

Was it someone here that mentioned the new pink hoppers for gathering old, unused clothes? Maybe that was in the local paper.
Now you would think that a pink clothing hopper would in some way benefit cancer awareness, just because of the pink movement everywhere, but it's simply a marketing ploy to get you to choose their hopper over the red Salvation Army's hopper. It doesn't benefit any organization other than the private enterprise whose hopper it is.

It's a tricky subject. On the one hand, it seems that the scientists are tending to focus on specific types of cancer - and are getting results by doing so. Some cancers are now treatable where once they would have been a death sentence.

On the other hand, fundraising and awareness efforts focussing on one type of cancer over another, seems wrong somehow.

That's why I walk every year at Relay For Life, it takes donations and fundraises for all cancers, not just breast cancer. My Mom and I both have breast and ovarian cancer, Shrek has bladder cancer, my DIL died of lymphoma.

It's a tricky subject. On the one hand, it seems that the scientists are tending to focus on specific types of cancer - and are getting results by doing so. Some cancers are now treatable where once they would have been a death sentence.

On the other hand, fundraising and awareness efforts focussing on one type of cancer over another, seems wrong somehow.

I've said this for years about breed specific rescue organizations.
True, you can't rescue them all, and maybe you have a personal interest in say, Poodles, but how can you turn away the others just because they are not a Poodle? It just doesn't seem right, but I understand the philosophy behind it.
God, I can't believe I chose Poodles... :ermm:

That's why I walk every year at Relay For Life, it takes donations and fundraises for all cancers, not just breast cancer. My Mom and I both have breast and ovarian cancer, Shrek has bladder cancer, my DIL died of lymphoma.

Do you know if there is any cross-distributing of funds? Obviously breast cancer must be taking in a lot of donations, do they put some in a general research fund? (if you know).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom