"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-06-2008, 05:36 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Do you have a humane society near you? They always have low cost spaying and neutering clinics. I paid $60 to get my female spayed plus her three sons which included shots and frontline. I guess it also helped that they knew me. but it is worth checking out.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:36 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
Africhef, I was just going to ask that. I think it was 25$ to have her spayed and her shots, I gave them a 15$ donation. The vets wanted 50-75 just to spay her. Sorry to me thats just rediculous. they complain there are too many cats, well then make it affordable to keep them from reproducing.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:01 AM   #13
Executive Chef

I am a bit dubious about the cheap places - have had bad experiences at various vets over the years and now only go to the one. It is costly but the peace of mind knowing that they are well treated while they are there is very valuable to me. I have been with this practice for just under 20 years. In terms of location, they are a 20min drive from me but the Cat Haven is over 40 mins.

I shall just have to remain vigilent until she is done I guess.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:54 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
the humane society has local vets that donate their time to do them. The vet that did my cat is the vet my mom takes her dog to and he is really good
Old 11-06-2008, 09:19 AM   #15
Sous Chef

the humane society here is so wonderful, and yes mikki is correct the vets volunteer there time plus the humane society is staffed by _humane_ people who love what they are doing because they love animals.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:03 PM   #16
Executive Chef

I go to the Humane Society for spays/neuters because we have a lot of stray and feral cats around here that I have fixed whenever I can catch them. It would just be too expensive otherwise. But I know what you mean about some of the low-cost places seeming to cut too many corners, Bilby. There is one here that I just don't think is safe enough, even though they perform a valuable service. But the Humane Society is awesome, better run than most private clinics, and about half the price of a private vet. For example, I had my pup neutered, all of his vaccines, heartworm checked, checked for parasites, 2 retained puppy teeth removed, and 6 months of heartworm preventative along with 3 days of pain meds. The fee was $160 vs. $330 for the same thing at my private vet.